Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 - Feedback for HD Video  (Read 78323 times)

Offline Napo

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 - Feedback for HD Video
« Reply #135 on: September 21, 2010, 03:58:16 AM »
I 'd like to buy the Lumix in the States to avoid vidoe limitiation in the European version.

My question: is the battery charger inlcuded in the package capable to handle 100-240 V and 50-60 HZ? ( I would guess yes considering the 'travel specific use' of the gear)

Thank in advance for your reply
Mauro from Rome
CA-11's>CA-9200>M10

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #136 on: September 21, 2010, 08:02:50 AM »

Is there any way to get a larger/longer running battery for long video shoots?  i could swap batteries between songs... but that gives me flashbacks to the md/cassette swap days.   :o

You indirectly re-enforce the idea that it's a good to record audio separately.  When you have to switch out batteries and/or chips, obviously, you are going to miss a little video here and there during a show.  If you have a separate audio stream, you not only have better audio - you can drop some still photos into your video to cover those spots you missed video and you still have the complete show.

Another thing you can do - record some video clips of the venue before the show (outside vendors, fans partying, etc., etc.) and you can drop that video into the parts that are missing.  With the alternate audio stream - those clips fit in really well.  And you are essentially using a technique that tv shows use all the time, so it looks perfectly normal to someone who watches your video.

good point.  is there an option to do video but drop the audio tracks to save card/battery life?

I really doubt it.  But the audio is usually recorded in a very low bit-rate, so you wouldn't be saving much space on your chip anyway.  By and large, the stoppages are due to battery changes.  These little point-and-shoot cams typically have internal battery compartments that (obviously) only hold one size of battery.  And they aren't really designed with the idea of shooting 2+ hours of video so the batteries tend not to last that long (one hour or so) for shooting video in HD.  So you usually have to change batteries during a show, unless it's a short set.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #137 on: September 21, 2010, 09:35:44 AM »
Of course one could make a dummy battery (maybe using contacts on a defunct battery) with small size power cord leading out of the camera's battery compartment (maybe put a small notch on the door's corner for the cord).   This cord could lead to a 4.5 volt precision regulated 2 C alkaline or NiMH cell battery supply capable of running the camera in video mode for 7-to-10 (alkaline) or 4-5 (NiMH) hours continuously.  But this would also negate some of the convenience of having a shirtpocket size camera.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
« Reply #138 on: September 21, 2010, 12:12:39 PM »
Of course one could make a dummy battery (maybe using contacts on a defunct battery) with small size power cord leading out of the camera's battery compartment (maybe put a small notch on the door's corner for the cord).   This cord could lead to a 4.5 volt precision regulated 2 C alkaline or NiMH cell battery supply capable of running the camera in video mode for 7-to-10 (alkaline) or 4-5 (NiMH) hours continuously.  But this would also negate some of the convenience of having a shirt pocket size camera.

One of the beauties of the point-and-shoot when it comes to shooting concert video - is that you can blend right in with all the other people in the audience holding up a point-and-shoot.   Adding something like a dummy battery attached to a cord could potentially make you stand out.

Most bands take a half minute or so between songs.  If you time it right, you can shoot a show and not miss any of the music when you change batteries.  I do it all the time.

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline Chrisedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #139 on: September 21, 2010, 02:19:37 PM »

Is there any way to get a larger/longer running battery for long video shoots?  i could swap batteries between songs... but that gives me flashbacks to the md/cassette swap days.   :o

You indirectly re-enforce the idea that it's a good to record audio separately.  When you have to switch out batteries and/or chips, obviously, you are going to miss a little video here and there during a show.  If you have a separate audio stream, you not only have better audio - you can drop some still photos into your video to cover those spots you missed video and you still have the complete show.

Another thing you can do - record some video clips of the venue before the show (outside vendors, fans partying, etc., etc.) and you can drop that video into the parts that are missing.  With the alternate audio stream - those clips fit in really well.  And you are essentially using a technique that tv shows use all the time, so it looks perfectly normal to someone who watches your video.

good point.  is there an option to do video but drop the audio tracks to save card/battery life?

Nope, and I would never want to shoot like that anyways since some audio is better than none if your separate audio crapped out, plus it's easier to sync if you have something to sync to...
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

Offline carbine000

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #140 on: September 22, 2010, 03:48:58 AM »

Well that sounds great and all but what program do you use for that? Especially working with MTS files?

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
« Reply #141 on: September 22, 2010, 04:19:51 AM »

Well that sounds great and all but what program do you use for that? Especially working with MTS files?

You could use any number of Non-Linear Editor (NLE) programs.  I use Sony Vegas Video.

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #142 on: September 25, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
I noticed there was a new firmware update for the ZS7. 

I was looking at a second/backup battery and was wondering if anyone knew any compatible batts with the new firmware... i noticed some reviews that said their aftermarket battery stopped working.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline swordfish

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #143 on: September 27, 2010, 01:30:06 PM »

You could use any number of Non-Linear Editor (NLE) programs.  I use Sony Vegas Video.

I used the European version DZ10 for thwe firste time last week in a small club..the videos look amazing for a small camera like that.

The sound is a bit muffled in my ears...did the audio with md dpa 4061....now i want to convert and burn the MTS files...in Sony Vegas 7----> drag and drop you only can see the audio files.

Any easy to handle converter programm  MTS ro AVI  available?

Offline Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #144 on: September 27, 2010, 02:57:26 PM »
I noticed there was a new firmware update for the ZS7. 

I was looking at a second/backup battery and was wondering if anyone knew any compatible batts with the new firmware... i noticed some reviews that said their aftermarket battery stopped working.

I have the 1.1 fw on mine and my ebay cheapy batt still works. am going to hold off on this update to 1.2 from sep 21 as it looks like it just speeds up the gps info which is not worth me losing the use of my second battery as of now haha.

neil
Mic's: AKG C214's, Line Audio CM3, AT4041SP, AT853 (C, SC, O), AT943 (C, H)
Pre's: Sound Devices MixPre 2
Rec's: Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-44, Tascam DR60D MKii, Tascam DR70D x 2

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #145 on: September 27, 2010, 03:01:44 PM »
@ swordfish    sony vegas 7 doesnt support mts avchd files,but vegas 9 does so just download the 30 day trial.

Offline swordfish

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #146 on: September 28, 2010, 02:37:22 AM »
@ swordfish    sony vegas 7 doesnt support mts avchd files,but vegas 9 does so just download the 30 day trial.
thanks for the info beatkilla...But what to do after the 30 days...not being a PC expert at all....

SF

Offline indiie

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #147 on: September 28, 2010, 04:22:30 AM »
I use Handbrake v0.9.3 available here
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/HandBrake/old-versions#download

Note that the latest version 0.9.4 does NOT convert to AVI format so stick with the older one if that's what you're after.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #148 on: September 28, 2010, 08:11:25 AM »
If your converting AVCHD to AVI than you would want to use HD which is huge like 300gb perhour and that wont play smooth either.Im guessing your converting your MTS to standard def AVi and if thats the case theres no benefit to recording in HD in the first place.Yould be much better to convert to  M2t also known as  HDV.

Offline indiie

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #149 on: September 28, 2010, 08:48:17 AM »
If your converting AVCHD to AVI than you would want to use HD which is huge like 300gb perhour and that wont play smooth either.Im guessing your converting your MTS to standard def AVi and if thats the case theres no benefit to recording in HD in the first place.Yould be much better to convert to  M2t also known as  HDV.

I compress using H.264 at 3000 kbps and keep source resolution 720p.

Guess it depends on what you plan on doing with the videos. Mine are mostly just for uploading to youtube and for the times I want to watch them on the big screen TV I can handle the compressed quality.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 08:50:17 AM by indiie »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com