Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Score Editor for Macintosh?  (Read 2239 times)

Offline Aman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Score Editor for Macintosh?
« on: April 02, 2006, 04:19:49 AM »
Hello fellow tapers!

I have a different kind of question to ask the forums. I am looking for some software for the macintosh that will allow me to create my own scores on the computer. It would be even better if it would allow me to scan the scores and have them transferred into MIDI files directly, but it is not at all required. I have the time to make the score again by hand.

I also need it to be free. If it's not free, but shareware, that's fine - but it needs to be fully functional during the demo period. That means I need to be able to do sharps & flats - easybeat did not let me do this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's for a very important and exciting project which will be free to all music enthusiasts online. I will shed some more light on this as soon as I am actually able to digitize this piece!

Thanks in advance,
-Andrew

Offline Aman

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Score Editor for Macintosh?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 11:54:51 AM »
Nobody? :(

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 12:45:05 PM »

Patience, grasshopper.  It's only been 7.5 hrs since your original post at 4:19 AM.  Some people are still rolling out of bed from a late show last night, not to mention it's an off-focus question.  While it's likely someone around here may help, there probably isn't a broad base of knowledge on this topic among TSers.  I'll ask my bro when I see him tonight - he's done a lot of arranging and composing on both PC and Mac.  I think he's mostly used commercial apps, but he still may know of an alternative.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Aman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 01:59:09 PM »

Patience, grasshopper.  It's only been 7.5 hrs since your original post at 4:19 AM.  Some people are still rolling out of bed from a late show last night, not to mention it's an off-focus question.  While it's likely someone around here may help, there probably isn't a broad base of knowledge on this topic among TSers.  I'll ask my bro when I see him tonight - he's done a lot of arranging and composing on both PC and Mac.  I think he's mostly used commercial apps, but he still may know of an alternative.
Hi Brian:

Thanks for the kind and encouraging words. I really appreciate it.

I suppose I was a little frantic is all. I was up really late on a caffeine high working on a band I produce.

Again, I appreciate it!
-Andrew

Offline Aman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 10:09:12 PM »
I think I've waited long enough to justify another bump :D

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 12:43:32 AM »
I think I've waited long enough to justify another bump :D

Yes, much more likely for someone to see it as the 2nd non-sticked post as opposed to where it would've been without the bump:  6th.  :lol:

Anyway...my bro says the only free option he knows of is Finale Notepad.  He says it should do what you need, but isn't terribly powerful - point and click or keyboard composition as opposed to a music keyboard.  He said Sibelius is a good package, but doesn't know if it's offered in a de-featured freeware version.  Also didn't know if Finale or Sibelius offer full-featured demos, but...give 'em a try and see what happens.  Worst case, Finale Notepad may do the trick.

Ooo!  Oooooo!!  I just bumped the thread to #1 of the non-stickied threads!  :P
Roland R-05

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 01:46:00 PM »
Just a little bump (hah!) to see if either Finale Notepad or Sibelious is working out for you.

Please don't take personally (or terribly seriously, for that matter) my needling you over the bumping.   :)
Roland R-05

Offline Aman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 06:34:14 PM »
Hey Brian:

Well, I downloaded Finale Notepad and I discovered that it does not read, nor save to, MIDI files. I needed that feature and forgot to mention that. I already have 3/4 of the piece done, so I just need to finish it up.

Thanks for the recommendation, though! I'm sure that will come into use for me some time in the near future.

-Andrew

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com