Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help With Balcony Clamping  (Read 33381 times)

Offline skotdee

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Help With Balcony Clamping
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2008, 10:19:42 PM »
Timmy,

Bogen 196 articulated arm

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/354218-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_196AB_2_Articulated_Arm_2.html

I do not have a part # for the doohick.  I scored it from 2dreammaker (an ebay seller).  You'll have to contact him or her on where they found it.

The doohick IS sweet, but is it really necessary? Wouldn't the T-Bar with rapid adapter fit directly on the arm stud?

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2008, 01:21:44 PM »
Yes it will fit.  I got the adapter just to give me a little more flexibility in positioning.

Offline orechall

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2008, 08:18:13 PM »
learn something new everyday thanks spider for the info on the articulating arm gonna pick one of those up for taping here in town.
DPA 4023's & 4028's->Lunatec V2 /Lunatec ACM V3/Sonosax SX-M2/AETA PSP-3(x2)

Hi-Ho Silver Cables and Interconnects

Offline skotdee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2008, 11:13:03 PM »
Just hit 50 posts, +T all around. Thanks folks!

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2008, 11:45:54 AM »
have you taped any shows there since you started this thread? would love to see some pics of the rig in action.

Offline skotdee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2008, 02:02:18 PM »
I have not, but will be sure to post pics when I do!

Offline skotdee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2008, 08:52:10 AM »
Just keep it simple. 

Superclamp > Extension pole (24" straight, articulating, or flex) > 5/8 right angle adapter > T-bar > mics

ADD: safety cable

That's all you need.  Just keep it simple.

I use a Shure Vert Bar, do you think it would be too heavy for this setup? Wondering if I should grab a swivel bar. Been thinking about grabbing one anyway. Speaking of that, is the AKG any better than the generic version? Wondering if there is an advantage going with the name brand there...

Thanks again. +T's again just cause I owe ya'll.

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2008, 09:19:22 AM »
Just keep it simple. 

Superclamp > Extension pole (24" straight, articulating, or flex) > 5/8 right angle adapter > T-bar > mics

I use a Shure Vert Bar, do you think it would be too heavy for this setup? Wondering if I should grab a swivel bar. Been thinking about grabbing one anyway. Speaking of that, is the AKG any better than the generic version? Wondering if there is an advantage going with the name brand there...

The vert bar may be too heavy.  If it fell we wouldn't be able to hang mics from the balcony anymore.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline skotdee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2008, 09:30:14 AM »
Just keep it simple. 

The vert bar may be too heavy.  If it fell we wouldn't be able to hang mics from the balcony anymore.

Thanks Colin, thats what I was thinking. Just so ya know though, I did pick up the safety cable that skalinder recommended

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2008, 12:02:25 PM »
Nice, good job on the saftey cable.  I need one myself!
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline skotdee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2008, 02:57:47 PM »
Hey Hey, remember me? I finally got to try this rig out! I went in with several options depending on how I was able to attach the clamp to the rail. Turns out Skalinder's method worked out dead on, Superclamp > Posi-Lok > Extension Pole > Mics. Thanks Brian! There wasn't enough room between the vertical slats to clamp to them, but luckily there is a board running under the top molding section, perpendicular, that I was able to get a grip on. See the detail pic for a close up of that section (note safety cable). Anyway, just wanted to post my results, thanks again for all the help with this!

Recording here if you're interested
http://www.archive.org/details/pg2008-10-31.akg481.flac16
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 03:00:50 PM by skotdee »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2008, 04:35:45 PM »
Long extention. Way to get all the way down in the open air under the balcony edge.  Is that a house stereo mic setup just behind? Its extention into the balcony lip looks permanent.

I just read through the thread and saw that cool articulating arm.  Great option, I may grab one. Thanks for the photos Dan.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline georgeh

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2008, 06:52:13 PM »

If that is the Freebird, PM me, I tape from the balcony all the time.  I'll see if I have some pictures of my set up.

Yep, thats the bird. Good Eye! Jacksonville Florida represent. Play some skynyrd.

has the free bird moved in the last few years? i haven't been there in a while, but the one I went too was tiny little bar.
back to subject, I am  a big fan of the super clamp (x2) and mono, has always worked for me
microtech gefell sms 2000, MG 21 & 20 & 27 caps >
M148 (with new ext battery) > acm P2 (2 of them)
Nbob active cables / PFA, Nbox Platinum

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2008, 07:57:03 PM »
and I'm a big fan of  396AB-3

it's saved my butt a couple of times when you can't "bring in a stand" or I need to extend out/down.  (Pumpkins 08/16/08 in C-Ville comes to mind)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/354654-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_396AB_3_Double_Articulated_Arm_.html
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2008, 10:28:32 AM »
Just keep it simple. 

Thanks Colin, thats what I was thinking. Just so ya know though, I did pick up the safety cable that skalinder recommended

B&H site says that safety cable has been discontinued - is there an updated part number from B&H?

« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 10:31:25 AM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.231 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com