Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol 09-HR Questions  (Read 1762 times)

Offline thekid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Edirol 09-HR Questions
« on: February 23, 2009, 03:17:00 PM »
I am new to taping and have decided on the 09-HR. I have contacted Chris and am ordering the CA-11 and the 9100 but this will take 4 weeks or so to get to me.  I will mainly be doing stealth recording at small venues mostly indoor but some at a small outside theaters. Mostly acoustic singer-songwriter, blues, etc. I want to record my first show next week (Todd Snider) which allows recording and my question is what else will I need to record this show while waiting for my equipment from Chris at Church? I am sitting in the 1st row so that is probably not good but if it is open recording I may get to record from a different spot. Thanks for your help and the information on these forums.

Offline Olychild

• Taperssection Member
  • Recovering Luddite
Re: Edirol 09-HR Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 03:22:35 PM »
You should be able to get a good pull from that location just using the HR's onboard mics. Since it is open recording, you may want to get a mic/light stand & get the Edirol up above the crowd if possible.
Recording: CA-14 > CA-9100 > R09HR
Playback: 70's solid state thrift scores
Riding: Vespa LX-150, Firestone Speed Cruiser II, Burley Runabout

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 03:25:01 PM »
Do you have a mic stand yet?  You could set up your mic stand and tape a beer koozie to it, then put your R-09HR in it and raise it to whatever height you want.  I bought an R-09 and mics and a preamp from Chris about this time last year, and I used my R-09's internal mics once while I was waiting for the Church Audio stuff.  Luckily the bar where I recorded was projecting a basketball game to a screen on the stage before the show, and they had the projector on top of a table stacked on top of another table.  They left it there during the show, so I just put my hip sack on the top table, propped up the R-09, and it turned out pretty good.  It's not as good as with a preamp and mics, but at least you'll get a chance to use the R-09HR's internal mics.  

Offline thekid

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 04:03:16 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions I am looking forward to using it for the 1st time. Any ideas on where I could order the stand and maybe a case?

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 04:34:20 PM »
Congrats on the recorder! You will not be let down at all.

to prevent new posts on old subjects, take a look at this:
Getting my first stand - buying guide?

Great replies in there and there's even other peoples responses.  :P

Happy taping!
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 06:58:47 PM »
The 09HR is a great little recorder giving you all the options for recording sans digital input ability.

Remember to set the MIC switch on the back in the at LOW sensitivity position for everything that's amplified. 

NO auto or limiter, usually NO bass filter, and use the 24bit mode for everything that matters.

24 bit gives ability to manually set VU peaks near or below -12 dB full scale for having lots of headroom against overload without the past tact of 16 bit quality limitations/liability forcing recordists to choose high VU peak level settings for best sound.

For an in-depth technical review of the 09HR deck to to my site page:
www.sonicstudios.com/r09hrrev.htm
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 03:50:53 PM by guysonic »
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline thekid

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 08:46:15 PM »
Thank you everyone for the information. I look forward to using the forum for a lot of information in the future as I am sure I will have many more questions. It is always fun to start a new hobby, unfortunately the hobbies I start are always expensive. Oh well you have to do what you like!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com