Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DAT question???  (Read 5018 times)

Offline jcaledun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • "pulling a dunaway" & Phil Rollins is my hero!
DAT question???
« on: April 02, 2003, 02:37:03 PM »
I curently use a sony MD usually i patch using a CO2 w/ coax comming into it then optical into my MD.  sometimes i use my friends sennheiser's and mp-2 they sound good but i know i need to up grade to a DAT.  what would you guys sugest?
The quickest way to a girl's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in.....

I QUIT!

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
Re:DAT question???
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2003, 03:13:39 PM »
I curently use a sony MD usually i patch using a CO2 w/ coax comming into it then optical into my MD.  sometimes i use my friends sennheiser's and mp-2 they sound good but i know i need to up grade to a DAT.  what would you guys sugest?

i really wouldn't get a DAT at this stage of the game.  serious HD recorders are right around the bend.  if i was just starting out, i'd get a Nomad JB3 instead.  record straight to .wav.  quick transfers to HD for burning to CDR via Firewire.  

really the way to go right now, and less than half the price of a DAT.  the best part?  no tapes!  scroll down in the Recording Gear section here where you just posted.  lots of good info about this very topic.

peace

~S  

Offline jcaledun

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2003, 04:49:38 PM »
but what if i want a DAT?  which one then?
The quickest way to a girl's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in.....

I QUIT!

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2003, 05:05:04 PM »
my opinion?  Sony PCM-M1.   8)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2003, 08:33:48 PM »
I would recommend the D100 if your getting a new one.  Two reasons, first you get this nifty remote with a new D100 that is very useful for stealthing....that if you bought an M1, it would cost you another $100 or so.  And also, the D100 is a non professional unit, meaning that if Sony still does flat rate repairs, the D100 qualifies, while the M1 does not.  Only reason I add the qualifier is because I have heard conflicting stories as to whether they still do flat rate.

Regardless, the remote is worth it IMHO.

Nick

Offline Stumptown Matt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a happy tapir!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2003, 11:58:57 AM »
They don't make the D100 anymore.  You can find them new in box on Ebay sometimes.  I'd say go with an M1 if your buying new.  The D8 is more robust but they are more power hungry and the on board AD converter is not as good as the M1/D100.
When cleaning out her attic, Grace found several bootleg recordings her mother had made while traveling around the world with the Grateful Dead. Grace is not permitted to sell these bootleg recordings on eBay.

"If you like the Beach Boys, you'll love Widespread Panic."    -Big Mike

"Music Sounds Better on Grass" -Clear Channel advertising

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2003, 01:57:33 PM »
Until the portable HDs come way down in price, there is nothing wrong with DAT recording.  They are a trusted technology!  The M1 that Scott recommended is a great unit.  I have had mine since 98 and not a problem!  
It is one of the few still in production and is in the $500-700 price range depending where you look.  It has a great AD converter in it as well.  Considered the Pro dat unit by Sony.  It is SCMS defeatable which is nice b/c you can clone clones!  The D8 has SCMS, so copying tapes that way can be difficult
The Tascam DA-p1 is also being produced, but is around double the price.  It has full size heads vs the 1/2 size that the M1 has.  Hope this helps
Phil
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline jcaledun

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2003, 01:15:27 PM »
so i did it got me a used D8

I QUIT!

Offline xxxrec

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2003, 01:20:13 PM »
you can get the d100 in europe (germany, 2 years warranty)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com