Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)  (Read 163871 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)
« Reply #165 on: December 17, 2013, 10:05:29 AM »
I like 32GB cards.  Faster is nice for x-fer speed, but doesn't matter for recording IME.
I have a number of Transcends and Kensingtons, all of which have worked well.

The R-44 isn't particularly picky about cards and doesn't need special formatting, file stuctures, or system files on the card.

I do put an entire day on a card at fests, using a fresh card for each day.  I've never had a problem doing that, and it makes management easy, but I keep a spare card in the bag, just in case.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #166 on: December 17, 2013, 11:46:49 AM »
I've run class 2 cards with no problems (@ 2X stereo). Other than one card claiming it was full when it wasn't, I have had no card issues with the R-44.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #167 on: December 17, 2013, 01:07:49 PM »
Well make sure you're getting a genuine card (i.e., buy it direct from an authorized retailer).  At least half of what's out there (of any sort of card) is counterfeit. 

I don't think the class is all that important either as long as its not an ancient or phony card.

This.  As long as you're using a reputable, genuine SD card, I imagine you won't have a problem.  I honestly didn't realize the counterfeit rates are that high but what do I know?  From my own experience and anecdotal evidence from others, the R-44 can successfully use just about any good card you throw at it.  Awesome deck.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #168 on: December 17, 2013, 04:34:21 PM »
class 10

Any in particular? Or does any class 10 do the job in the R-44 regardless of size?

Had some class 4 cards that gave me the slow memory error, and had gaps in the recording.

Ditched them for Sandisk class 10's and never had another problem.

Yes, YMMV, but 'your mileage will increase' with class 10 cards, and they are cheap nowadays.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #169 on: December 17, 2013, 04:53:34 PM »
Thank you kindly, folks.

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #170 on: December 17, 2013, 05:25:28 PM »
Oh while not saying it is certain to cause a problem the usual caveats apply:

Format the cards you're using in the unit.
Don't delete files from the cards elsewhere and reuse without first formatting them in the unit. 

As noted above it's quite tolerant but those two things may have caused issues for others in the past.  I once accidentally used one of my R-05 formatted cards in the R-44 without formatting and it was fine but it caused a bit of heartburn when I put the recording in the PC and noticed what I'd done...   
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #171 on: December 17, 2013, 09:36:42 PM »
Yeah, I know the drill. I also have a 722 and an M-10 and I always format in the recorders.

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #172 on: December 18, 2013, 08:59:20 AM »
class 10

Any in particular? Or does any class 10 do the job in the R-44 regardless of size?

Had some class 4 cards that gave me the slow memory error, and had gaps in the recording.

Ditched them for Sandisk class 10's and never had another problem.

Yes, YMMV, but 'your mileage will increase' with class 10 cards, and they are cheap nowadays.

And there ya go! You are so right, cards are cheap now. Might as well get good ones.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #173 on: December 30, 2013, 09:37:17 PM »
So I can be lazy and not have to search...

What is the right power setting for plugging in a DVD battery to use as the primary power source and leaving the AAs in as your backup source?
Is it 9v?

I think that's right...

once again, lost in all the noise

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #174 on: December 31, 2013, 12:31:56 AM »

What is the right power setting for plugging in a DVD battery to use as the primary power source and leaving the AAs in as your backup source?
Is it 9v?

I think that's right...

Most folks use 9V DC but there is a fairly wide range it can take. What it can't take is the wrong polarity. Be ABSOLUTELY sure you have the polarity right or you will kill the external power port.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #175 on: December 31, 2013, 01:09:19 AM »
Thanks!
I have myself a brand new gak cable just for the job.

On my mr1, you could feed it more than 9v, but I wasn't sure about the r44 and needed to be sure. I'm going to have to set it and forget it for 5 hours tomorrow so I was just checking expert opinions!

jb
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #176 on: December 31, 2013, 12:46:59 PM »
It runs well on 9V from an external supply.

Is it 9v?

I think that's right...

If you mean the external battery voltage cutoff setting on the R44's menu, most users including myself set that to External (or AC or whatever the setting is labeled for an external adapter) and then use the built-in meter on the DVD battery itself to monitor state of charge instead of the battery meter on the R44 display.  The R44 will switch to the internal AA's if the external is unplugged or dies and at that point the icon on the R44 display will switch from a little electrical plug to the battery meter bars.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #177 on: December 31, 2013, 05:16:46 PM »
I can't check now, but iirc, isn't it set to something lower..? Like 9v if running a 12v battery..? I remember some deal where when I initially set it intuitively (which would have been accurate to math the battery rating), I got warning messages and a shut down (I think, 'cos I didn't have aa batts in) because as soon as the voltage dips below what you set it at, the warnings start. The setting, again, iirc, is to set a level below which the warning pops, NOT to set it to accept a certain amount of power...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

cashandkerouac

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #178 on: December 31, 2013, 09:01:15 PM »
Thanks!

On my mr1, you could feed it more than 9v, but I wasn't sure about the r44 and needed to be sure. I'm going to have to set it and forget it for 5 hours tomorrow so I was just checking expert opinions!

jb

the R-44 also works well if powered with 12v.  9v or 12v, your choice.  both work without issue.

Offline dmonkey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #179 on: December 31, 2013, 10:53:49 PM »
Thanks!

jb

the R-44 also works well if powered with 12v.  9v or 12v, your choice.  both work without issue.

The R-44 loves all. It's very warm and embracing.
MK4's, KM140's or MC930's >  Tinybox or Aerco MP-2 > R-09, M-10, R-44 (Oade CM) or MixPre-6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com