Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

TSKB: Rolling Gear Bag?

<< < (2/4) > >>

mnm207:
I'd echo the others and suggest paring the kit back to a weight that is more workable for you.

But to answer the original question:

My favorite rolling bags were made by Kata, and had a removable "trolley", aka hand cart. Since the wheels/handle are external the interior space is easier to use efficiently. They turn up used on e-Bay with some regularity. Look for the FlyBy 74 or the earlier OC-84. These two models are lightweight and small enough to even be fairly comfortable with a shoulder strap rather than the wheels. I have three of the FlyBy bags (one 74 and two 76s); really like them. I'm a hair's breath away from picking up an OC-84...

Skip the Portabrace bags--they're great but not light. I have one of their small rolling production cases which weighs close to ten pounds empty. It also has the wheels and handle mounted externally so its interior space is quite roomy. (Actually, the Portabrace waist bag might be worth looking at if you minimize your kit.)

ol' dirty taper:
alternative to the wheeled rig might be a compact fanny pack, or check out something along the lines of KTek's Stingray Backpack to get through the door easier.

fireonshakedwnstreet:
If you can find something clear that rolls it may lessen some of the hassle with security. I would fold down the handle and carry it in to the venue, rather than roll it in though.

voltronic:
I would get one of the wheeled Pelican cases sold here. I bought a large (non-wheeled) Pelican from them about a year ago and it was in fantastic condition, with Kaizen foam included. HIGHLY recommended this company!

https://atozcases.com/collections/featured

Nak700:
Thanks for all of the valuable insight, friends. I'm taking everybody's input into consideration, and trying not to get too overwhelmed while looking at B&H, Adorama, Ebay, etc. to see what options are out there.

To clarify, I'm not concerned about getting into the venue. Tapers are reasonably well known and well accepted in my hometown, and I never get questioned for the local shows that I record, and rarely have trouble with the touring shows that I record. My concern is getting to and from the venue, which often involves a long walk from the car. Last week, after recording Los Lobos at First Avenue, I was lucky enough to catch a ride home from a friend who was parked behind the venue, and carrying my bag for what was the shortest distance possible was difficult, though not impossible. Of course, as you all know, the bag is always heavier at the end of the night.

Perhaps a rolling backpack would work best, something that I could wheel to the gig, hoist on my shoulder to get through the entrance, and wheel to the spot in the venue to set up at. The concern that I have with the backpacks that I've looked at is that I like to work from the top of the bag, not the side. And even if I could figure out a way to work from the top of a rolling backpack, I'd still have to worry about it rolling away.

The Kata bags and Pelican cases that have been recommended look like they would work wonderfully, I just wonder if their footprint would be manageable. The nice thing about the Lowepro D650 is that it fits comfortably in a tripod corner, making it less likely to be stepped on or tripped over.

Has anybody had any experience or observations with something like this?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1115067-REG/sachtler_sa1001_snaplock_trolley_system.html

It looks like it collapses enough and could probably lay flat underneath a bag or be tucked behind / underneath a chair.

Thanks again for all the insight, friends, and for being gentle with my rambling thoughts. Keep those suggestions coming!

Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version