Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Advice for AKG C414 in this room?

(1/4) > >>

yltfan:
I'm thinking cardioid, ORTF, but would love to hear from the experts.
I will be on the floor, pretty close to dead center.

yltfan:
Tech specs for the room:
https://www.revolutionhall.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/REV-HALL-TECH-PACK-2023.pdf

rocksuitcase:
depending on HOW close, and your mounting choices, maybe M|S?

Looks like a beautiful room, as for acoustics, lots of hard surfaces, such as those chairs in the balcony..

aaronji:
Personally, I would go with a bit wider spacing and a narrower angle than ORTF from the middle of that room. What'll the crowd be like? What height can you run? Will it be seated or GA floor?

Gutbucket:
What's the music?
How far back on the floor?
Two channels?

Keeping it simple:
I'm assuming whatever it is will be PA amplified..
If close enough, ORTF can work well in a good room, but I'd open up the pattern to subcardioid. ORTF is a rather wide angle between mics for concert taping, but the more open subcard pattern helps with that. DIN with cardioids is often better as the angle between mics is narrower, placing them somewhat more on-axis with the PA.  If further back on the floor go NOS, and maybe narrow the angle a bit..

..which of course leads me to recommend Improved PAS technique which automatically optimizes for whatever position you end up with on the floor.  The ability to fine-tune pattern with the switchable 414's works really well for that, going with a more open pattern the closer you are, and a tighter pattern from further back.  A tighter pattern from farther back helps keep the spacing more reasonable too.  Unfortunately the Improved PAS spacings tend to get wide the farther back you are in the room, and you'd need the ability to vary the spacing between mics to use that technique.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version