Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Are MiniDiscs Dead?  (Read 14858 times)

Offline BobbyPlant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Are MiniDiscs Dead?
« on: August 20, 2007, 11:05:51 AM »
I was just looking at the sony.com site and there is no reference to minidisc players. I recall a model called the MZ-RH1. I was wondering if they have completely stopped making minidisc recorders?

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Are MiniDiscs Dead?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 11:13:24 AM »
Wouldn't suprise me at all, they are slowly dying alltogether.

Shame really, the minidisc is a great format but never really took off like Sony anticipated.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline Frosty

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 11:51:45 AM »
MZ-RH1 was replaced in the catalog with the MZ-M200 http://tinyurl.com/275gvp

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 12:04:53 PM »
I have an RH1 and like it a lot.  I wish I had it last night when I went to record a local gig.  My SD 722 died!  I have not had a SONY MD fail me yet.   
Nov schmoz kapop.

nameloc01

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 12:14:19 PM »
the only unit being made now is the RH-1/m200 , m200 is the bundle package that includes the rh-1,mic,headphones, ect.great units, they really are.hopefull they keep making blanks for a long time.

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 12:15:22 PM »
I have an RH1 and like it a lot.  I wish I had it last night when I went to record a local gig.  My SD 722 died!  I have not had a SONY MD fail me yet.   

Nor me, totally love the things, never failed. Just a shame they are dying slowly. Would have been killer to have 2GB discs, a lot more people would be using them I think (especially tapers).

:)
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline moooose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 12:21:50 PM »
Interestingly enough, if you google SONY-MZ-M200 you don't get any web page in a Sony site in the first pages of results.

Offline PushingMe

• Taperssection Newbie
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 12:22:49 PM »
Nor me, totally love the things, never failed. Just a shame they are dying slowly. Would have been killer to have 2GB discs, a lot more people would be using them I think (especially tapers).

:)

Would have also needed a better program to transfer them and a direct WAV recording instead of the OMA/OMG crap.
DPA 4061 > DPA MMA6000 > Edirol R-09
Soundman OKM II Rock-Studio > A3 > Edirol R-09

nameloc01

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 01:41:02 PM »
last time i talked to the guys at Minidisco, they had about 17 units in stock.try there.

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 03:36:07 PM »
Yep. Dead. RIP.

Killed by the continous decrease in memory prices. (I bought a 4G Compact Flash Card last week. Cost less than I paid for a 1G card 2 years ago).

Sad really as the sound quality was quite nice. I was never bothered by the compression, my box sure sounded better than many quite expensive flash card recorders sold today.

G.

nameloc01

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 03:39:44 PM »
Yep. Dead. RIP.

Sad really as the sound quality was quite nice. I was never bothered by the compression, my box sure sounded better than many quite expensive flash card recorders sold today.

yes, indeed.

Offline Frosty

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 04:47:48 PM »
...my box sure sounded better than many quite expensive flash card recorders sold today.

I might have thought I was the only one.   For the way I used a portable recording/personal listening device I find that my RH1/M200 is a gem.  With my MX-400 buds or KSC-35 clips I like the playback sound on the RH1 better than the solid state recorders I've owned.  YMMV, and probably does - that's ok by me. 

Now, what to do about this anxiety over the future availability of media and hardware! 

nameloc01

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 04:58:17 PM »
...my box sure sounded better than many quite expensive flash card recorders sold today.

I might have thought I was the only one.   For the way I used a portable recording/personal listening device I find that my RH1/M200 is a gem.  With my MX-400 buds or KSC-35 clips I like the playback sound on the RH1 better than the solid state recorders I've owned.  YMMV, and probably does - that's ok by me. 

Now, what to do about this anxiety over the future availability of media and hardware! 
no anxiety here, i have been stockpiling blank hi-mds for a while now,i am set for quite a while.

ilduclo

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 08:10:56 PM »
still using a 5 year old sharp mdmt770. a solid solid little recorder.

Offline dunebug81

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 08:22:51 PM »
no anxiety here, i have been stockpiling blank hi-mds for a while now,i am set for quite a while.

Where do you get them and how much do you pay?

MD isnt dead...they still sell quite well in Japan so as long as the market stays alive over there we will be able to get discs over here.

A 2 GB disc would be nice but I dont know if that is physically possible.  Now having the MD record in ATRAC lossless would be nice cause an 80 min disc would turn into a 60min ATRAC lossless disc and the 1gb would go for over 3 hours.  Not that I really ever need anything longer then 90 min it would be a nice option.

Would have also needed a better program to transfer them and a direct WAV recording instead of the OMA/OMG crap.

As for the sonic stage program...well its a little bulky but still really easy to upload shows.  Are you really the inconvenienced by opening up some software and clicking the upload button?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 08:25:09 PM by dunebug81 »
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com