Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom H3-VR  (Read 17184 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Zoom H3-VR
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2019, 11:20:03 AM »
I'm expecting really good things from this in that small setting w/the instruments placed all around it.

This is what I've suspected will be the sweet spot for this recorder.

Hope it works well for you in that role Nick.  Looking forward to hearing something once you get it worked out.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2019, 01:24:50 PM »
This would probably be perfect for festival camp site jams.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2019, 02:09:44 PM »
LOL.
Drum circle.
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2019, 02:44:19 PM »
Despite immense self control efforts I relented and purchased one of these.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 02:46:07 PM by illconditioned »
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2019, 09:12:47 PM »
Don't tempt me...  I've just been searching through  YouTube for samples, and some of the 360 degree videos are pretty astounding.   But I didn't come across much if anything in the way of live classical music recording.  However, this was interesting - an evensong recording in a very reverberant location.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVfxkLH2vOY

Frequency response seemed pretty good (without knowing what processing was applied afterwards), but on headphones it was rather hole-in-the-middle for me, and I preferred it on speakers.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2019, 09:42:24 AM »
The software for it is pretty cool.   
You can tell the deck to record A-format, B-format, Stereo, Binaural, 5.1..etc etc.
Recording raw A format...the software will play it back for you in any of the output styles you want.....and you can tweak it.
I haven't recorded anything yet with mine.....but I'm sure I will sooner than later

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2019, 10:57:59 AM »
^ Can it do the same when recording directly to b-format?  If so you might skip writing or storing a-format.

For those unfamiliar:
a-format = direct microphone capsule output (front left up, front right down, rear left down, rear right up).
b-format = universal ambisonic format (W,X,Y,Z) (omni, front/back, left/right, up/down) t, can played back ambisonically, manipulated in post, converted to stereo, binaural, 5ch, etc..

The potential issue with storing a-format is that there can be different forms of it.  It might be "microphone specific a-format" rather than "universal a-format" which can be converted back and forth to B-format mathematically.  The manual or H3-V3 discussion groups may shed more light on all this.

The Tetramic for instance includes calibration files specific to the response of each capsule, used in conversion from a-format in addition to the more generic conversion info such as the spacing between capsules, applied when processing the raw file data.  With the Tetra, if you only have the raw a-format files stored, you also need the calibration files and conversion software to convert to a usable format. I won't bother you with the details, but I'm lazy and still I have most of my Tetramic recordings made years ago stored as raw a-format files and need to convert them to B-format for more accessible long term storage.  In the H3-VR that processing is likely done in the recorder prior to storing the a-format file and invisible to the user, which would make it's a-format more "universal" than Tetramic a-format files.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2019, 08:36:24 AM »
manipulating the A format in the Zoom software is rather interesting.   It "knows" where the source is, and shows you a 3d sphere that you you can manipulate front to rear, left to right....and there's more that I have not played with yet. 
I'm jammin' tonight w/some friends, so I'll give it a run and do some more realistic tests.   Will report back...

oh, and it actually does not use B format.   A only.  my mistake

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2019, 01:21:07 PM »

Interested to know if it can handle typical onstage SPL. Some folks have mentioned in reviews that it's pretty sensitive. I sure would like to be able to just plop this on the stage at some of the smaller venues I go to then point it where I want later.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2019, 01:26:38 PM »

oh, and it actually does not use B format.   A only.  my mistake

????   I'm not sure what this means.  The Zoom uses cardioid mics, so it is native A format, like most ambisonic mics (my Josephson C700S is native B format, with no Z axis, that is to say omni =W, forward figure 8 = X and side figure 8 = Y).  But the Zoom recorder will let you chose to record A format OR either common B format, Ambix or FuMa.  I record FuMa because that is what I am used to on the Josephson.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2019, 08:33:05 AM »
yes, it is sensitive.   
My levels were where I wanted them, but that was with the mic gain at zero.   

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2019, 08:48:43 AM »
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s72o2tjoyvueifp/t01.mp3?dl=0

here's a file from a loose jam last night.    This is in a sound treated room, a very nice studio.   Mic was on a shelf with everyone in front of it, except the bass amp, which was right under it.

Offline fotoralf.be

• Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2019, 05:02:04 PM »
Got mine from the very first batch sold by Thomann in Germany, a year ago, and still love it to bits. I'm using it exclusively for nature and industrial soundscapes though, no music so far. Cured the wobbly mic fastening with a drop of superglue and it's worked flawlessly ever since.

As I do a lot of outside recording, I've made myself a more robust windscreen out of the supplied foam ball and a dead rat with rather long hair originally made for a LD condenser mic that was a bit too large, so I had it adapted by the friendly taylor around the corner. The recorder has even survived the odd shower with this as a protection. 

I'm happy with the sound the H3-VR provides. Granted, it won't equal a setup of Schoeps or DPAs, but it delivers stunning recordings with very little effort. Just set it up, switch it on, start the smartphone app for complete control of all parameters out of the comfort of the car while the H3-VR sits on its mic stand and does its job. Keeps me wondering how I ever survived without Bluetooth remote control. Now, if only there'd also be Bluetooth audio monitoring...

The supplied player/format converter is OK. The conversion to binaural isn't as good as others I've heard and a possibility for level correction would be nice. Just noticed one thing, a few days ago: when I play back my recordings using the supplied Zoom software on the Mac in 5.1 mode there is no signal in the rear Ls and Rs channels. Exporting the same recording as a 5.1 wav file, all six channels have signal. Can anyone confirm this odd behaviour?

Ralf
Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2019, 06:05:58 PM »
I just bought one of these.So the app controls playback mode?Does it stay in this mode on reset?
Can it do Blumlein (crossed figure 8  ) playback?I wonder how that relates to "binaural" playback mode.

I'll probably be using stand alone, or as a four input USB device,No phone yet LOL.
Lots to play with.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 06:07:48 PM by illconditioned »

Offline fotoralf.be

• Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2019, 06:24:42 PM »
I just bought one of these.So the app controls playback mode?

Yes it does. But, much more important, it can be used for remote control while recording. 

Does it stay in this mode on reset?

On reset of what?

I'll probably be using stand alone, or as a four input USB device.

Four input USB device...? The H3-VR doesn't have inputs. It can only record its own microphones.

Ralf
Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com