Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ZOOM F8n PRO Multitrack Field Recorder - Dual ADC and 32-bit Float  (Read 10254 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
As expected, Zoom has updated the F8n to use the same dual-ADC / 32-bit float point recording tech as in the F3 and F6.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2022/02/25/zoom-f8n-pro-multitrack-field-recorder-with-32-bit-float/
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline fireonshakedwnstreet

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • David
Re: ZOOM F8n PRO Multitrack Field Recorder - Dual ADC and 32-bit Float
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 09:04:38 AM »
Looks lovely.
Mics: AT 3031; AT 853Rx (c, o); Samson C02; Studio Projects C4 (c, o, h); Nak 300/Tascam PE-125/JVC M510 (cp-1, cp-2, cp-3, JVC M510 superdirectional caps)
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 MkII; Tascam DR-70D
Pres: Edirol UA-5 (Oade PMod & WMod); Marantz PMD661 (OCM); Marantz PMD620 (Oade WMod); Naiant MidBox; Shure FP11 (x2)
https://archive.org/details/@fireonshakedwnstreet

Offline Blakeq

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2022, 09:22:19 PM »
Looks great to me!  Excited to read reviews and user experiences once it is available.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 10:39:20 AM »
Is Dual ADC / 32-bit Float the only change from the F8N?

I take this to mean I should be able to pick up a F8N for a good price as they are being cleared out to make way for the Pro!  Will be helpful to have a second recorder to my original F8.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2022, 11:18:47 AM »
This looks like a strong contender if I ever need to upgrade to more channels from my MP6
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2022, 11:45:14 AM »
And hopefully any firmware updates for F8N-PRO will apply to previous F8N and F8 models (as F8N firmware updates have continued support of F8)
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline hoserama

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2022, 12:46:54 PM »
And hopefully any firmware updates for F8N-PRO will apply to previous F8N and F8 models (as F8N firmware updates have continued support of F8)

And saw them make a note that they were going to be rolling out the cell phone app for Android by March 2022. I'll believe it when I see it, but FINALLY.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2022, 09:25:46 PM »
^ Wooo! (android user here) Looking forward to that.

I really want them to fix Mid/Side monitoring/playback as well, providing the ability to adjust stereo width and overall playback level of a Mid/Side pair recorded as raw Mid and Side channels.  Others may not care but that one is a continuing hassle for me.

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2022, 09:23:30 AM »
^ Wooo! (android user here) Looking forward to that.

I really want them to fix Mid/Side monitoring/playback as well, providing the ability to adjust stereo width and overall playback level of a Mid/Side pair recorded as raw Mid and Side channels.  Others may not care but that one is a continuing hassle for me.

Indeed - trivial for them to add I would have thought.  Same applies to the F3.  I just don't understand why this feature is being omitted when these devices are intended for uses which might well include MS mics.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2022, 10:15:57 AM »
Not sure.  If you look in the F8 manual at the block diagram on p.184, the M/S circuits, polarity switches, and delay sections (all of which I wish were available upon playback) are all on the input side of the bus, unavailable to the player side.  However, that diagram does not explain how M/S can decoded on playback by routing those channels prefader (which unfortunately means no level and M/S ratio control), so maybe there is hope!

Another function I would like them to update via firmware is a modification to the input Trim Link function. Currently when any set of channels are trim-linked, their input gains are automatically adjusted so as to be equal to each other. In other words, all linked channels are forced to have the same input trim level. Took me a while to realize what was going on whenever I'd link them so I could adjust pairs or the entire bunch simultaneously with a single knob-turn, I was eradicating the relative input trim differences I had set between the channels. 

In contrast, the similar Tascam DR680 "Channel Ganging" feature does allow for different trims between ganged channels.  One can gang/un-gang various channel combinations to adjust pairs in unison or the entire bunch together at any time without automatically resetting the trims and screwing up the relative balances.  If one does want all linked channel trims to be identical (say for an ambisonic microphone).  They can be set that way before linking them.

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2022, 04:57:30 PM »
What's everybody's preferred powering method for an F8 these days? Grabbing a used one and trying to figure out how best to power it.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2022, 05:10:35 PM »
12VDC Talentcell feeding the A/C>D/C wall adapter port.

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2022, 05:26:34 PM »
12VDC Talentcell feeding the A/C>D/C wall adapter port.

Thanks. Looks like the 6kmAh ones are surprisingly cheap and both connectors are 5.5mm center pos so guess I just need a double barrel cable?

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2022, 05:54:56 PM »
I use this 11000mA/hr one- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016BJCRUO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Its likely larger than you really need, but I like having plenty of excess capacity.  One half that of capacity should be fine for typical gigs if not a full fest day as long as its fully charged..

Still, best practice to keep 8 AA's in the recorder as power backup just in case. 
^
This actually bit me last Saturday recording Dumpstaphunk.  I'd grown complacent and didn't have AA's in there AND forgot to swap the mostly-drained Talentcell in my recording bag for the well-charged alternate Talentcell I'd intended to take, resulting in the first time I've ever run the Talentcell all the way down to shut-off.  When it shut down I ran across the street to a Wallgreens to purchase AA's and get running again, missing about 15-20 minutes. D'oh!

Yes, just need the appropriate sized coaxial power plug on both ends.  I do have mine setup as a 'Y' to allow hot swapping between Talentcells (ala DVD batteries of yore), but have never actually needed to do that.  Keep in mind that the 12V and 9v ports on the Talentcells are slightly different sizes from each other.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2022, 06:18:49 PM »
I'm disappointed to see that Zoom didn't add support for NP-F batteries to the F8n Pro. I really expected it since the F6 supports them.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.143 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com