Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA5 issue, optical out/optical cable  (Read 4682 times)

Offline Rockinman59

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
UA5 issue, optical out/optical cable
« on: October 07, 2007, 04:00:40 PM »
My taper friend posted on Ask the tapers about static on recordings when using SPC4's>UA5>JB3.  I taped a show last night and the entire wav file is static and sparks when listening to it on my pc and even cuts out at times.  I notice the optical cable doesn't fit snug in the optical out jack on the UA5 (Edirol UA5 Audio Capture model) but it does snap in more secure on the optical IN side (which I wouldn't use).  Could this be the problem or is it simply a bad optical cable?  I was told the caps on the C4's could have had moisture but I have taped last month on a hot humid day and the tape was pristine.  I haven't taped since then until last night (indoors).  At this point I don't know what is going on, it's so random.  I had the optical line out in the open (not jammed up against the inside of the gear bag) like I did a month ago and the tape came out perfect.  I think the connection to the optical OUT is so weak that maybe if I moved my bag, that maybe it came loose a little bit but didn't come out, does this sound like a possibility?  Should the connection to the optical OUT and IN jacks be just a snug?

At this point I'm going to try another optical cable.  Just wondering also if using the coax side to a mini plug would eliminate the problem?  Would I get hiss or less of a recording using the coax side instead of optical?  I've heard mixed reviews of this so I'm not sure.

Thanks for any help

Tom
AKG460 JW Mods>UA5 (Wmod)>Marantz PMD661

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: UA5 issue, optical out/optical cable
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 05:18:17 PM »
I notice the optical cable doesn't fit snug in the optical out jack on the UA5.  Could this be the problem or is it simply a bad optical cable?

Get a new cable, that could solve the problem if it is bad connection, or bad cable...

Just wondering also if using the coax side to a mini plug would eliminate the problem? 

You won't hear reviews of this because it is not possible to go UA5 > Coax SPDIF > JB3.  The Coax output is digital, the 1/8" Line-In on the JB3 is either analog or Optical.

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 09:02:14 AM »
My taper friend posted on Ask the tapers about static on recordings when using SPC4's>UA5>JB3.  I taped a show last night and the entire wav file is static and sparks when listening to it on my pc and even cuts out at times.  I notice the optical cable doesn't fit snug in the optical out jack on the UA5 (Edirol UA5 Audio Capture model) but it does snap in more secure on the optical IN side

Tom

I wonder if someone forced the square end of the optical cable into the UA5 upside down...might have stretched out the plug - so it wont fit as snug as it should...

Offline Rockinman59

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 11:24:58 AM »
My taper friend posted on Ask the tapers about static on recordings when using SPC4's>UA5>JB3.  I taped a show last night and the entire wav file is static and sparks when listening to it on my pc and even cuts out at times.  I notice the optical cable doesn't fit snug in the optical out jack on the UA5 (Edirol UA5 Audio Capture model) but it does snap in more secure on the optical IN side

Tom

I wonder if someone forced the square end of the optical cable into the UA5 upside down...might have stretched out the plug - so it wont fit as snug as it should...

Thanks for the info guys.   I tried the other end of the optical cable (flipped it from mini-plug to square end) and it fit the same way in the UA5 (not snug).  But I did a test recording twice, changed the UA5 settings, Rec source (had it on Analog and corrected it to Digital), ADV I corrected to off (it was on) and Lo Hz/Hi Hz to Lo, connected the optical cable and kept straight instead of bunched up, kept the walmart battery separated from the UA5 (instead of sitting on top of it), and BOTH test recordings had no spikes/static, in fact the wav file looked just like it should.  I'm thinking due to having the rec source setting on Analog instead of Digital (when I'm using optical) was wrong and could be the cause.  I may have accidentally pushed in the button and it popped out to the analog setting.  This static issue only happened once before and I could have had the UA5 set to analog then as well.  I'll have to try it out with these settings when I record this Thursday, then I'll know.  I'll post to let you all know so it may help others if this ever happens to anyone else.   

Thanks again guys!

Tom

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 11:53:45 AM »
worse comes to worse and for whatever reason you had to use coax, you can get a hosa box to convert from coax to optical
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Rockinman59

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 01:18:42 PM »
worse comes to worse and for whatever reason you had to use coax, you can get a hosa box to convert from coax to optical
Thanks Will for the info.  Hopefully a new cable and keeping the settings where they are will solve the problem.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 06:44:09 PM »
My experience is that optical works, or it doesn't.  If it doesn't work you don't get anything.  I've had that happen before, and I've had dropouts because of it, but I've never had static from a bad optical cable, just "skips" where some music is missing.  I'm not saying it's impossible, but that's my opinion.

I have definitely had problems with a humid mic... and the problem WILL come and go when you least expect it.  That is what I think your problem is.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline Rockinman59

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 08:21:04 PM »
My experience is that optical works, or it doesn't.  If it doesn't work you don't get anything.  I've had that happen before, and I've had dropouts because of it, but I've never had static from a bad optical cable, just "skips" where some music is missing.  I'm not saying it's impossible, but that's my opinion.

I have definitely had problems with a humid mic... and the problem WILL come and go when you least expect it.  That is what I think your problem is.

You're the 3rd person that brought that possibility up.  I just tested my equipment at home and tried to duplicate the spike problem.  I wiggled the optical cable, the monster cable where it connects to the UA5 (L & R channel), I put the walmart battery on top of the UA5 like I usually do and tried it without being on top, turned switches on and off while recording and yet ALL 6 tests came out with no spikes, the wav files look totally normal.  I store the mics in a cigar box (sold to me that way) and had it in my gear bag.  If I had the bag in air conditioning, then took it outside and had it in my car (it was hot outside the other day), that can cause humidity in the caps within an hour's drive?  How else can you store the mics or caps to keep it from being exposed to a temp change (a/c to humid conditions and back to a/c inside the club I recorded at).  Like you said it happened when I least expected it.  This is only the 2nd time in 16 recordings and I've had many shows with humid conditions.  It's really a mystery at this point.  I've ordered another optical cable to try in a few days.

Thanks for your input.

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 12:51:20 PM »

You're the 3rd person that brought that possibility up.  I just tested my equipment at home and tried to duplicate the spike problem.  I wiggled the optical cable, the monster cable where it connects to the UA5 (L & R channel), I put the walmart battery on top of the UA5 like I usually do and tried it without being on top, turned switches on and off while recording and yet ALL 6 tests came out with no spikes, the wav files look totally normal.  I store the mics in a cigar box (sold to me that way) and had it in my gear bag.  If I had the bag in air conditioning, then took it outside and had it in my car (it was hot outside the other day), that can cause humidity in the caps within an hour's drive?  How else can you store the mics or caps to keep it from being exposed to a temp change (a/c to humid conditions and back to a/c inside the club I recorded at).  Like you said it happened when I least expected it.  This is only the 2nd time in 16 recordings and I've had many shows with humid conditions.  It's really a mystery at this point.  I've ordered another optical cable to try in a few days.

Thanks for your input.

Maybe try a Pelican case w/ some silca gel packs.

Offline Rockinman59

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 01:32:14 PM »

Maybe try a Pelican case w/ some silca gel packs.
[/quote]

Bingo!  I called Studio Projects and they told me that the caps can very easily get moisture in them from temperature change, the space inside the caps are microscopic in size and if any moisture gets in there it will result in static when recording.  He told me the EXACT thing you just did, silica gel packs.   I called everywhere looking for them and no one has them, then it hit me- my wife works in a laboratory,so I call her and lo and behold she has lots of them.  This may very well solve the problem.  I did also get an extra optical cable just in case.

Thanks to everyone who posted here and helped me. 

Tom G

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 03:24:42 PM »
If your JB3 HD is near full, You'll sometimes get clicks & slight dropouts just like you described.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline Rockinman59

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 12:10:20 PM »
If your JB3 HD is near full, You'll sometimes get clicks & slight dropouts just like you described.

Thanks for the input.  I have (2) JB3's and they only have 9 gb's out of the 20 gb max on the hard drive.  I had static the entire 90 minutes when looking at and listening to the wav file.  Got silica gels now and storing them with the mics.  Tomorrow I'll know if I still have the issue after taping a show tonight.

thanks

Tom

Offline jkbyram

• Taperssection Underachiever
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 11:23:38 AM »

Thanks for the input.  I have (2) JB3's and they only have 9 gb's out of the 20 gb max on the hard drive.  I had static the entire 90 minutes when looking at and listening to the wav file.  Got silica gels now and storing them with the mics.  Tomorrow I'll know if I still have the issue after taping a show tonight.

thanks

Tom

i suspect something like this. it may not be full, but if you have deleted lots off of it recently it will leave it fragmented and will cause the same problems. that is my experience.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com