Gear / Technical Help > Remote Power

KORG MR-1 External Power Source

(1/9) > >>

H₂O:
I am going to hook up my new MR-1 to an external battery.  Does anyone know the connector size?

Also does any one know how many mA's or Amp's it will pull on the 5volt power jack?  In the manual it says it draws 2.15 Watts (which I calc to 0.430 Amps at 5 Volts) but does this value take into count any additional current draw from charging the onboard battery?

I want to understand the battery life I can expect and to see what my total current draw against my battery will be.

Also the AC  PS included with the KORG is rated up to 2.4 Amps and I want to make sure the KORG doesn't pull this kind of current when connected to my battery.

I will be using a custom battery setup I have been using for years with a pair of adjustable linear volatge regulators (outputs two seperate regulated voltages from one high voltage battery).   The manufacturer of the battery I have suggests to keep the total current draw under 2 Amps.  I will  also be running a PSP2, which I am pretty sure only pulls between 300 - 500 mA's.

H₂O:
The MR-1 Power connector looks like a EIAJ-02 (or Philmore 240 plug/TC240 cord/207 PC jack).  This is the same connector as used on the Sony TCD-D7/8, M1, and D100 - BUT NOT THE SAME VOLTAGE - SO DON'T TRY AND RUN YOUR MR-1 ON A D8 or M1 external battery.

An interesting article on the EIAJ connectors can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EIAJ_connector

Also I noticed the PS output is 5.2 V but the unit will run off 5.0 V.  Is there a set voltage where the battery charges (i.e. 5.2 V)?   So if youwhere to run at 5.0 V would it not charge the battery?

H₂O:
Well all looks good for me. I was able to run the MR-1 at 5.08 Volts for 5 hours recording DSD on my battery setup and the battery only dropped about 25%. 

Based on my observations I would guess the current draw of under 0.5 Amps is pretty accurate.

Note the onboard battery was fully charged so it did not need to be recharged.

H₂O:
Well now it doesn't look so good as the MR-1 died on me today on my setup.  I think the culpret is the power connector I am using as it is not an exact match to the Korg's (even though it is spec'd the same).

So off to Radio Shack tommorrow.

mwz:
my power runner pr2300 has a plug that seems to fit just about right - pulled a nice 4061 > mma600 > mr1 last week.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version