Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR70D Discontinued?  (Read 6960 times)

Offline drewt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Tascam DR70D Discontinued?
« on: February 25, 2017, 11:34:34 AM »
Hi All,

Been lurking here for awhile processing all the great info.

Currently building a light weight documentary kit for overseas travel.  In the states I have access to production crews with top of the line gear. The travel set up just needs to be capable of producing acceptable quality to be cut into best quality productions.

I was debating between the Tascam DR 70D and the 701. Form factor and functions will work fine, the DR70 has the advantage of cost.
If the unit gets damaged or stolen it is easily replaceable as opposed to a Sound Device unit.

Adorama has the DR70D marked as discontinued, they do not have any info on a possible replacement as of yet. B&H has no info. have any of you guys heard if Tascam is discontinuing and/ or updating the DR70? 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 12:00:33 PM by drewt »
Video / stills guy navigating the sound world.

Offline HealthCov Chris

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • InsideOut Recording & Promotions
Re: Tascam DR70D Discontinued?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 01:59:11 PM »
The DR-70D is still up on the Tascam site and available at a wide variety of sites.  Adorama has them too, just listed as closeout.  They may be getting away from carrying that line moving forward.  Another update to it would be nice, but I imagine it would come with a significant price increase like the last version (701D).   
LMA: https://archive.org/details/@corfit
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/insideoutrecording
Mics: AKG ck61/ck63 (nBob actives, Naiant PFA) | AKG 568 | CA-14 omni | Studio Projects B3
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6 | Zoom F3 | Roland R-07
Camera: GoPro Hero 4 Silver

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 06:21:08 PM »
I'm not sure what you're seeing, but neither Adorama nor B&H say anything about the DR-70D being discontinued.  Maybe you were looking at a different model?

https://www.adorama.com/tsdr70d.html?gclid=COTqjenyrtICFQ-BswodLcgIQA
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1086798-REG/tascam_dr_70d_4_channel_audio_recording.html

In any case, I would not get the 701-D unless you need the HDMI triggering.  If needing to record more channels than the DR-70D, I'd go for a DR-680 mkII or a Zoom F8.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 07:46:39 PM »
Adorama DOES say it's a Closeout from Volt's link,which is no wonder, since they are selling it with an "SDSDU-016G-A11 Memory Card" which I don't see on the official list of approved cards. Maybe they left off the P in SDSDUP-016G?

But if you go to the official Tascam site here- http://tascam.com/product/dr-70d/buy_now/
the only seller they list is Adorama, AND that link DOES say it's gone!

http://www.adorama.com/TSDR70DB.html

I'm not sure what you're seeing, but neither Adorama nor B&H say anything about the DR-70D being discontinued.  Maybe you were looking at a different model?

https://www.adorama.com/tsdr70d.html?gclid=COTqjenyrtICFQ-BswodLcgIQA
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1086798-REG/tascam_dr_70d_4_channel_audio_recording.html

In any case, I would not get the 701-D unless you need the HDMI triggering.  If needing to record more channels than the DR-70D, I'd go for a DR-680 mkII or a Zoom F8.

Wow, both of those links basically recommend SD cards which are not on Tascam's list!

B&H suggests this Lexar card in the Recommended Accessories listed!

Lexar 64GB Professional 1000x UHS-II SDXC Memory Card (Class 10, UHS Speed Class 3)
B&H # LESD1000X64G MFR # LSD64GCRBNA1000

In fact, The Lexar LSD64GCRBNA1000 is the only card B & H has listed on their recommended accessories page for the DR70D!

« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 07:51:56 PM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline drewt

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 08:19:49 PM »
The challenges that I see (previously noted here by members) is shrinking approved card availability and the fact that Tascam has apparently stopped updating the 70d.
That coupled with the "closeout" status at Adorama has me holding off.

When I spoke to Adorama they confirmed that they are liquidating existing stock of the 70d and will not be restocking.
B&H sales have no info and i have an email out to a contact there who works the vendor side.

Perhaps there is an update for this 3+year old model in the offing possibly to be announced at the NAB in April?
4 inputs should meet my needs for a travel kit, again I have access to higher end gear for location/ studio work in country.

Thank you to those that took the time to respond.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 08:27:29 PM by drewt »

Offline voltronic

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 08:41:51 PM »
Whoops, I honestly didn't see the "Closeout" on Adorama - easy to miss, IMO!  I'm not sure that page has its act together though.  It lists the SDSDU-016G-A11 card under "Key Features" but "What's in the box" does not list it - same contents as B&H and everywhere else.

Also, the Adorama link from Tascam is to a package with the recorder, headphones, cable, batteries and card.  That package is clearly no longer available.  That doesn't mean the DR-70D itself is discontinued.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline drewt

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 09:05:41 PM »
Screen shot of Adorama web page

Offline morst

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 11:17:09 PM »
You are wise, oh drewt.

I am not going to tell you it's not a functional machine, but I think it's best to skip it.

I just did the ADD 999 OF THEM TO MY CART trick, and they have 334 left in stock as of Feb 26, 2017.

The challenges that I see (previously noted here by members) is shrinking approved card availability and the fact that Tascam has apparently stopped updating the 70d.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 11:20:31 PM by morst »

Offline Jerseyboy

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 05:45:16 PM »
AM I reading you correctly?   You are refering to the DR70d as a functional machine, but you'd skip it?  I thought it was the cat's meow of portable recorders from Tascam.

You are wise, oh drewt.

I am not going to tell you it's not a functional machine, but I think it's best to skip it.

I just did the ADD 999 OF THEM TO MY CART trick, and they have 334 left in stock as of Feb 26, 2017.

Offline morst

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 06:40:35 PM »
AM I reading you correctly?   You are refering to the DR70d as a functional machine, but you'd skip it?  I thought it was the cat's meow of portable recorders from Tascam.

Yes. I still have issues with firmware 1.14. I feel like it doesn't accurately light the USB indicator every time USB power is removed.  I am testing a new USB battery pack and I am not used to it.  The DR70D makes it very hard to know if the external battery is working for certain. The first try in the field with the new USB battery pack, I wound up plugging into a handy A/C outlet, but the Tascam problem remains.

Tascam has not:
1 - acknowledged that there was a real issue with SD card compatibility
2 - acknowledged that the issue with SD card compatibility has been fixed (since they have not even acknowledged the issue, how can they have a fix?)
3 - updated or revised the list of compatible cards since October 6, 2015
4 - updated firmware since 1.14 came out (June 21, 2016 is the current version on Tascam's site)

And now the deck is set to be discontinued? I doubt that all the fixable problems have been addressed, and I doubt that Tascam will ever do so.

Also, after what I went through, I don't think I'll ever purchase anything from Teac/Tascam again, and would find it tough to suggest that path to others.

Offline drewt

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 08:02:14 PM »
I think I will wait for the NAB and see if any new product is announced.
If not, will pick up the 701, the form factor works with setup I'm assembling, and test it.

An interesting aside: while perusing for some other odds and ends (senny avx wireless lavs) it appears if quite a bit of
sound equipment is slated as discontinued by Adorama.

Curious...

Offline voltronic

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 08:09:11 PM »
I think I will wait for the NAB and see if any new product is announced.
If not, will pick up the 701, the form factor works with setup I'm assembling, and test it.

An interesting aside: while perusing for some other odds and ends (senny avx wireless lavs) it appears if quite a bit of
sound equipment is slated as discontinued by Adorama.

Curious...

I have thoughts on both of those points in the DR-70D discussion thread.  I respectfully suggest we move discussion there so as not to fragment things.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline drewt

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 08:14:43 PM »
Apparently a Noob faux pas, will happily move to another thread.

I noted the Adorama info as i did not want to misinform...

Offline voltronic

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 08:41:12 PM »
Apparently a Noob faux pas, will happily move to another thread.

I noted the Adorama info as i did not want to misinform...

Not a faux pas IMO, it just makes things a bit hard to follow when discussion on a single piece of equipment is spread through multiple threads.  The Sony PCM-M10 discussion recently was getting pretty bad in that respect.  I've been guilty of it myself...
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com