Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F6 (32-bit float equipped)  (Read 139810 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: Zoom F6 (32-bit float equipped)
« Reply #180 on: November 21, 2019, 09:24:40 PM »
Did you see where I mentioned this card is on Zoom's approved media list? 

yes i did, im just leery of mfr claims, esp after recent sound devices experiences. thanks for the test! justme found a loose correlation between low random write speed and errors with the mixpre, that card looks like it would work well on the mixpre

how does the zoom internal test work? how long/extensive is it? all devices should have that feature imo....

what a value the F6 seems to be... im not crazy about the tall form factor but i could grow to like it for that price and featureset

Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #181 on: November 22, 2019, 05:55:19 AM »
Did you see where I mentioned this card is on Zoom's approved media list? 

yes i did, im just leery of mfr claims, esp after recent sound devices experiences. thanks for the test! justme found a loose correlation between low random write speed and errors with the mixpre, that card looks like it would work well on the mixpre

At least Zoom has a tested media list.  That's one of the things that swayed me to their unit and away from the new MixPre series.

how does the zoom internal test work? how long/extensive is it? all devices should have that feature imo....

I don't know what it does, but it takes a long time.  My assumption is that it is doing write / read tests all over different areas of the card, but I really have no idea.

what a value the F6 seems to be... im not crazy about the tall form factor but i could grow to like it for that price and featureset

I think the F6 is one of the best values in recording equipment today, especially after having several recordings with it.  The quality is outstanding, and it is easy to use.  You certainly get more channels for your money than you do with Sound Devices.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #182 on: November 22, 2019, 09:48:40 AM »
battery life as well....
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #183 on: November 22, 2019, 05:45:07 PM »

At least Zoom has a tested media list.  That's one of the things that swayed me to their unit and away from the new MixPre series.

Don't know if you've seen it, but the approved media list for MixPre has been updated over the last few weeks ...

https://www.sounddevices.com/mixpre-series-approved-media-list/

And BTW, keep an eye out for some nice MixPre news coming pretty soon ...

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #184 on: November 22, 2019, 05:59:18 PM »
The SD card test feature of the Zoom F8 completes pretty quickly for me when I run it on the 64 and 128GB cards I use so I typically run it each time I switch cards simply as a precaution.  Don't know if the F6 routine is the same or not.  Could be designed to be more exhaustive to check 32-bit bandwidth, even though total channel count is 2 channels less.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline voltronic

« Reply #185 on: November 22, 2019, 06:04:47 PM »

Don't know if you've seen it, but the approved media list for MixPre has been updated over the last few weeks ...

https://www.sounddevices.com/mixpre-series-approved-media-list/

And BTW, keep an eye out for some nice MixPre news coming pretty soon ...

I see you are keeping an eye on the competition, Paul.  As you should.   :)

I have some thoughts on the list you have linked, which I will post in the MixPre-II thread.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #186 on: November 23, 2019, 08:16:34 AM »
Updated battery runtime tests:

Zoom F6 set to 32-bit float / 48 kHz
48 V phantom on all channels
Kingston Canvas Select 128GB card

Mics:
Line Audio CM3 (also used in 2-channel test)
AT853
Naiant X-Q

Dracast 6600 mAh
6 channels
14:25:04

Dracast 2200 mAh
6 channels
02:53:51

Dracast 2200 mAh
2 channels (CM3s only)
05:04:41

---

The 6600 mAh battery is a beast (and quite large).  As I posted it before, it had barely moved off full after many hours of 2-channel recordings.  A runtime test with 2 channels would take days.

The 2200 mAh battery was a bit disappointing for the 2-channel test.  I would have to charge it after every concert.  I will be sending it back.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #187 on: November 25, 2019, 09:10:35 PM »
I just learned some helpful info on two points.

My email to Zoom customer support:

Hello,

I have two questions about the F6 that I cannot find referenced in the manual:

1. When a track knob is clicked OFF (disarmed), is phantom power still applied to that channel, if it is set in the PFL screen? I want the option to swap mics without fully powering down the unit. In other words, does disarming the track also remove phantom power? If not, I would like to request that feature for a firmware update.

2. When an input is set to LINE (PH), is there a pad inserted? Where in the signal path does this occur, and what, if any, items are bypassed?

Thank you for your help, and for making great products. I am enjoying using my F6.

The response:

Hello,

Phantom power is disabled when the track in question is muted.

There is a -20dB pad when the Line option is selected on the F6. The pad occurs prior to A/D conversion. No other elements are bypassed.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #188 on: November 30, 2019, 06:20:31 AM »
pulled the trigger!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 12:27:36 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #189 on: December 12, 2019, 08:23:50 AM »

Dracast 2200 mAh
2 channels (CM3s only)

That's pretty amazing for such a low capacity battery. We have come a long way since the days of hauling SLA bricks for 4 hours of run time.

Thanks for doing these tests.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline voltronic

« Reply #190 on: December 12, 2019, 07:34:35 PM »

Dracast 2200 mAh
2 channels (CM3s only)

That's pretty amazing for such a low capacity battery. We have come a long way since the days of hauling SLA bricks for 4 hours of run time.

Thanks for doing these tests.

Yeah, I suppose that is pretty decent runtime for that battery.  I just wanted to be able to go at least two shows without recharging, so I'm sticking with the 6600 mAh.

In other news, the F6 has been used quite heavily the past three weeks, and is solid as a rock.  I haven't found any glitches or issues in anything, which is quite remarkable for something so new.  Zoom has been doing their homework, clearly.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #191 on: December 31, 2019, 08:26:24 AM »
im in the club! been playing with it all day and getting used to the menus. its a ittle unnerving coming from a mixpre with the touchscreen, menu operations seem to take a little longer with the hardware menu nav buttons, but im getting used to it.

apart from Voltronic's opinions which i share (smaller than expected, great build quality, nice bright screen, efficient batt life, functional customizable lock function) one thing i really like is the key settings are kind of buried in the menu, they are difficult to mess up. in most cases, the only thing you would ever do from night to night is maybe toggle mic to line input and phantom on or off if using external pre or board feed.

considering trim/gain seems entirely irrelevant in 32-float, really just show up, plug in, click input knobs on and press record, and sort it out later. if youre matching your input devices carefully (keeping below +24dBU), theres really nothing that can change the recording

the 4 powerex precharge AAs (LSD) went 203 minutes (3h23m) w/6 channels of phantom (2x dpa mmp-a, 2x dpa mma-c, 2x dpa mmp-e) writing 6ch of 32/192 (no LR or dual tracks). AA battery display indicates actual voltage, not percent. dropped to 4.7V almost immediately, then 4.6 and 4.5V slowly. flashed me low batt warning at 4.4V and ran about 20-25 minutes after this notification. so plenty of warning there. the unit saved last file fine upon battery shutdown

impressive! if i could get 2-3 hours out of a smaller L-series battery+ 3 hours out of internal AAs thats the 5hrs i need to cover 90% of my outings and i have 10000 and 20000 maH usb-c batts for long outings. i dont have an L-battery but switching between AAs and usb-c batts is seamless to the units operation

it says it outputs 2ch mix to ios, im going to order a usb-c to lightning cable and see if it can feed an iphone a mixlr stream

question#1: if i use the "volume" control in soundforge is that nondestructive normalization? seems i can push it like 60dB past 0dB and bring it back down without clipped peaks

question#2 if feeding unbalanced input should pin 2 be signal, pin 3 be ground, and pin1 be cable shield, left to float at the unbalanced end? or should pin 3 and 1 be grounded together?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 09:54:34 AM by jerryfreak »

Offline voltronic

« Reply #192 on: January 01, 2020, 11:51:40 AM »

the 4 powerex precharge AAs (LSD) went 203 minutes (3h23m) w/6 channels of phantom (2x dpa mmp-a, 2x dpa mma-c, 2x dpa mmp-e) writing 6ch of 32/192 (no LR or dual tracks). AA battery display indicates actual voltage, not percent. dropped to 4.7V almost immediately, then 4.6 and 4.5V slowly. flashed me low batt warning at 4.4V and ran about 20-25 minutes after this notification. so plenty of warning there. the unit saved last file fine upon battery shutdown

impressive! if i could get 2-3 hours out of a smaller L-series battery+ 3 hours out of internal AAs thats the 5hrs i need to cover 90% of my outings and i have 10000 and 20000 maH usb-c batts for long outings. i dont have an L-battery but switching between AAs and usb-c batts is seamless to the units operation

That is very impressive runtime for AAs.  For L-series batteries, I highly recommend the Dracast ones I have posted about.

question#1: if i use the "volume" control in soundforge is that nondestructive normalization? seems i can push it like 60dB past 0dB and bring it back down without clipped peaks

I don't use SF, so someone else could give you a better answer there.  Based on what you describe, it sounds like it is handling 32-bit float files.

question#2 if feeding unbalanced input should pin 2 be signal, pin 3 be ground, and pin1 be cable shield, left to float at the unbalanced end? or should pin 3 and 1 be grounded together?

I've never made these cables myself, but everything I am reading is that pins 1 and 3 are both wired to the shield at the balanced end.  Pin 2 is signal.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #193 on: January 01, 2020, 12:19:52 PM »
I don't use SF, so someone else could give you a better answer there.  Based on what you describe, it sounds like it is handling 32-bit float files.

well all of its temp files are 32bit float, for many many versions now. and if i import a native 32bitfloat and do work on it the peak meter displays values above FSD (as does vegas when mixing multiple sources)

Offline Papaphunk

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #194 on: January 03, 2020, 09:22:48 AM »
Think this is going to be my next investment. Read through a lot of this thread, as well as the positive reviews online.

32 Bit Float sounds fantastic, as I like to run things a little hot. Need a new recorder upgrade for Summer Music Fests taboot.
AKG CK-61 / CK-62 / CK-63  > AKG c480b / c460b Bodies
ZOOM H6 - TASCAM DR-100MKII & III

1500+ Recordings Uploaded to Archive: https://archive.org/details/@papaphunk

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.116 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com