Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA MMA-A and iPhone 15  (Read 1159 times)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
DPA MMA-A and iPhone 15
« on: December 01, 2023, 11:47:42 AM »
The MMA-A has been discontinued by DPA, but I don't know anything as compact and capable (at 24/96) to replace it.  I understand that the DPA app used to set levels on it will not run on the new iPhone with USB C.  Can anyone answer the following:

1) Will the iPhone 15 run Metarecorder and will that still power the MMA-A and DPA mics, using a USB-C cable connection? 

2) If you set MMA-A levels with the app on a lightning-connector type iPhone, these generally have carried over to further using the MMA-A with Android or PC based recorders.  Although I have not done this too much, I see no reason to assume it wouldn't work with an iPhone 15 running Metarecorder.  Has anyone tried this, or experienced any issues with setting levels with the app and then keeping them locked to use the MMA-A on other platforms, even over long periods between use?

I found it nearly impossible to get answers from DPA on the MMA-A even when they did "support" it, so I hope folks here can help.

Jeff

Offline grawk

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: DPA MMA-A and iPhone 15
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2023, 02:22:18 PM »
The MMA-A has been discontinued by DPA, but I don't know anything as compact and capable (at 24/96) to replace it.  I understand that the DPA app used to set levels on it will not run on the new iPhone with USB C.  Can anyone answer the following:

1) Will the iPhone 15 run Metarecorder and will that still power the MMA-A and DPA mics, using a USB-C cable connection? 

2) If you set MMA-A levels with the app on a lightning-connector type iPhone, these generally have carried over to further using the MMA-A with Android or PC based recorders.  Although I have not done this too much, I see no reason to assume it wouldn't work with an iPhone 15 running Metarecorder.  Has anyone tried this, or experienced any issues with setting levels with the app and then keeping them locked to use the MMA-A on other platforms, even over long periods between use?

I found it nearly impossible to get answers from DPA on the MMA-A even when they did "support" it, so I hope folks here can help.

Jeff

If you want to send me an iphone 15, I'd be glad to test anything you want out :)
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sonosax minir82/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

Offline breakonthru

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 04:48:32 PM »

Jeff
yeah was pretty clear they farmed that one out as nobody could offer any support

theres no reason iphone 15 couldnt run metarecorder, as it runs fine on latest ios17. i suspect you are right that it would behave the same in regard to holding settings, but with ios on usbc, i cant imagine why the d:vice app wouldnt still work over usb-c. where did you hear that?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 06:52:31 PM by breakonthru »

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2023, 12:22:30 PM »

yeah was pretty clear they farmed that one out as nobody could offer any support

theres no reason iphone 15 couldnt run metarecorder, as it runs fine on latest ios17. i suspect you are right that it would behave the same in regard to holding settings, but with ios on usbc, i cant imagine why the d:vice app wouldnt still work over usb-c. where did you hear that?

Back in October a user noted "As a new owner of the iPhone 15 with USB-C and longtime owner of an MMA-A, I have the same issue and just tried the Amazon Basics Micro USB to USB-C cable and the dpa 4560 binaural headset. While it gets a signal into Metarecorder, the dpa App for MMA-A is not responsive. I don‘t know whether to put that down to the cable or the app but will experiment further. Has anyone else tried other cables with the above combination?"

In the same thread https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=203386.0;all DPA support is quoted as saying the MMA-A app may not have full or ANY functionality on the iPhone 15.

Just looking for any updates.

Offline breakonthru

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2023, 05:46:03 PM »
ill try to take my d:vice to walmart and plug it into a 15. i gotta find the usb-c cable i bought

Offline jmz93

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2023, 01:27:12 PM »
In the same boat here... D:vice and 4060 Cores were the perfect set up for me. I'm keeping an old iPhone 8 Plus around for taping, but I'd prefer to be able to use my 15 Pro.

Offline breakonthru

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2023, 06:36:57 PM »
Did you have to turn the dvice down to 0 gain with 4060s? In stack taping situations 4061s can be hot

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com