Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TSKB: best video tripod under $100?  (Read 10462 times)

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
TSKB: best video tripod under $100?
« on: March 15, 2010, 12:09:39 PM »
Thanks in advance. 

Offline Shadow_7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: TSKB: best video tripod under $100?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 11:34:13 PM »
For what purpose?  Static view of stage / source.  No panning... yada yada yada...

If you need to pan and pan smoothly, or something with some girth so it doesn't fly away like a kite in a wind...  Probably more than $100 in most cases.

For me spider brace 2 + monopod + ace bandage.  Best fluid head for the buck IMO.  But not a tripod one.  Well sort of, monopod plus my own two feet.  Just no level option outside of best guess.  Which is impossible to judge on a 3" LCD.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 12:16:51 PM »
usually when buying a tripod it is strictly the legs. Do you already had a head to attach? The head will set you about no less than $60 depending on what exactly you're looking for.

the legs I have:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/504845-REG/Manfrotto_055XPROB_055XPROB_Tripod_Legs_Black_.html

I like it because of the independent leg spread and the height of it. Most people would whine about it being too heavy but carry it and you'll get stronger.

This is the head:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/272449-REG/Manfrotto_486RC2_486RC2_Compact_Ballhead_w_Rapid.html

Its nice but not necessarily for video because people who use tripods for video like the pan and tilt action at a handle, not moving the entire camera; however, if you're doing static shots, the one i have and linked you to would work just fine provided your camera is not more than 14 pounds.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 12:25:49 PM »
I have nothing yet.  How sturdy are the tripods that have no braces in the middle.  I see both styles.  Me thinks you'd want braces in the middle?  Also I see most of the tripods only go to like 60"?  Seems low to me?

EDIT:  This one gets good reviews but again only 5 feet.  Seems low to me...

http://www.msegrip.com/mse.php?show=product&cat=&products_ID=26753
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 12:28:00 PM by Mark Burgin™ »

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 12:43:55 PM »
Most are low, but most function to bring the camera (view finder) to the users eyes.  Baring special applications like star gazing / trying to see over standing peoples heads, there's not normally a need to go higher.  You can add a jib if you need the elevation factor.  Lots of options depending on purpose.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 12:51:14 PM »
I have nothing yet.  How sturdy are the tripods that have no braces in the middle.  I see both styles.  Me thinks you'd want braces in the middle?  Also I see most of the tripods only go to like 60"?  Seems low to me?

EDIT:  This one gets good reviews but again only 5 feet.  Seems low to me...

http://www.msegrip.com/mse.php?show=product&cat=&products_ID=26753

I also think 5 feet is kind of short.

It may be more sturdy to have tripod with a brace in the middle but I think it would be limiting if you wanted to independently spread the legs. May not be that big of a deal just for video camera usage but for photography, you may desire something in which requires one leg to be wider, shorter, or taller than another. another cool thing is that you can have each three legs at different locking points.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Roger_D

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 03:29:59 PM »
I got this $79 Quantaray from Wolf Camera, and I like it:
http://www.wolfcamera.com/product/291660652.htm

I got it because it extends to 75" so I can use it for a fairly high stationary camera when I'm taping bands, but also because it's sturdy enough to use for another hobby: a DSLR and a heavy Panosaurus panoramic camera mount. If you will only be using a lightweight camcorder, that's probably not a big issue, but it has a wide stance and is fairly heavy, so it is very solid even when extended all the way. You can lock the braces to the middle pole if you don't want to spread the legs all the way out, which is a nice feature, For video where you'll be panning, the head isn't as smooth as an expensive head, of course, but when I use it that way, I can get fairly smooth panning by extending the adjustable handle all the way out, putting it up in my armpit and panning by moving my body. If extremely smooth panning is what you need for your videos, then this isn't your best choice, but I doubt you'll do much better for under $100: After shopping around quite a bit before buying this one, I didn't see anything smoother for less than about $150, and of course a really smooth one is quite a bit more. For the price, this is the best tripod I could find and it's fine for my needs.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 03:31:46 PM by Roger_D »

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 07:07:42 PM »
My radioshack targus goes to 66".  I got it because it was the tallest one they had.  The center bars can be problematic in wind.  It's a light tripod, and those braces have a lot of flutter in a good wind.  It doesn't pan all that great either.

Bear in mind that your camcorder lens is probably an inch or more above the height of the tripod.  Not a lot, but throw in a beachtek preamp and other accessories and you might be +6" above the height of your tripod.  And other means to an end.  Things under the feet of the tripod and other ways.  A lot of time I'm sitting and the tripod is at a seated height.  Fewer down in fronts on the recording going that route.  Part of the reason I went with a monopod like approach.  In a crunch I can fly it like a flag pole and gain a quick 3' to 7'  Above it's 60" of goodness.  Stabilization goes to pot that way, but you get the extra lift.

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 12:50:05 PM »
I ended up going with this.  A little more than I wanted to spend but what the hell.  Seems to get good reviews and it's heavy so hopefully it will keep down the vibration I see so much on a lot of folks dvd's.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/349250-REG/Davis_Sanford_PROVISTAIR18_ProVista_Airlift_Tripod_with.html#specifications
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 02:00:51 PM by Mark Burgin™ »

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 01:33:13 PM »
damn thats heavy. What camera did you go with anyway?

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 01:57:49 PM »
Canon HV-30.  I'm sure it's overkill but I hope it's super solid.   ;D

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 08:31:24 PM »
If your filming loud concerts the vibration will still travel thru the tripod,what i use is a cheap walwart memory foam pillow(must be memory foam not normal pillow)cut it into 3 big pieces and always use them directly underneath the tripod legs...or have unuseable footage.

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 08:33:01 PM »
Thanks for the info!  I will do that.  Where would I get memory foam?  Any idea?

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 05:06:52 AM »
any large retailer should have pillows made of memory foam in the bedding department

an alternative would be a place like overstock.com that has memory foam mattress toppers in various thicknesses but purchasing a mattress topper seems like overkill just to get enough to fit under tripod legs

another alternative, though more expensive than a pillow, is anti-vibration pads for a tripod - they popup on ebay every once-in-a-while or you can get them from your nearest telescope dealer (mine is http://www.astronomics.com/main/search.asp?catsearch_header=Astronomics&keyword=anti-vibration+pads&x=0&y=0 )

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 05:27:08 AM »
Now that one has some girth.  Let us (me) know how the head pans and such.  I might get one of those myself.

As far as loud concerts, it really depends on the venue.  Solid ground beneath your feet and it shouldn't be an issue.  Wooden floor on a 100yo bowling alley with a basement... issue.

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 12:23:06 AM »
Well the above tripod came in.  Really nice and solid.  Love the dual panning arms.  But it was all busted up.   :o  Knobs were broke off, etc.  So I returned it.  Not sure whether to reorder it go in another direction.  I'm a bit sketched on the build quality.   :-\   Have been reading good things about the Velbon DV7000 for it's great panning.  And it's under half the price!  Decisions decisions......

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 01:06:15 AM »
Well the above tripod came in.  Really nice and solid.  Love the dual panning arms.  But it was all busted up.   :o  Knobs were broke off, etc.  So I returned it.  Not sure whether to reorder it go in another direction.  I'm a bit sketched on the build quality.   :-\   Have been reading good things about the Velbon DV7000 for it's great panning.  And it's under half the price!  Decisions decisions......

Did you order from b&h? I've never had any issues with their packing before. sorry to hear about that. maybe, like you suggested, its foreshadowing to the poor quality.

Just remember, you paid good cash money for your camera so you don't want to necessarily try to skimp out of something as important as stabilization.
People on this board pay $200+ on CABLES; that may not include you but if you take audio taping seriously, you already have one obsession so you might as well pick up another one.  ;D  8)

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 01:39:34 AM »
Ya I got it from BandH.  They were great about it though.  Payed for the return shipping.  The guys on HV20.com are telling me to give the Davis another try.  I just got a lemon.  So I  guess I will.  It really is a sick tripod.  I'll post up some pics when I get the replacement.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 06:28:14 PM by Mark Burgin™ »

Offline Low Spark

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 10:55:15 AM »
I have a heady duty mic stand I use for open situations that way I can get above the heads and such. Works great.
Mics: AKG 481

American by Birth - A Southerner by the Grace of God.

I caught myself pumping the air with my fist, throwing elbows and getting down like an 18-year-old on his first mushroom trip on the lawn at Raleigh. But since every night is Saturday

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 03:29:45 PM »
ack, all of these suggestions have a maximum height of 72" or less. that's fine if you have a table to use or if you're short, but i'm 6'5" (77") and i'd like something that can come up, at a minimum, to my eye level, and preferably a few inches higher than that even when i need to get above heads. i understand the camera itself will add an inch or so to the height, but still, 72" is insufficient and even 75" is probably a few inches too short. i like the look of this one, as well as the reviews, and the implication that it was budget-priced when it was available, but it's no longer available:

http://www.amazon.com/Zeikos-ZE-TR201P-77-Inch-Full-Tripod/dp/B001F8S576

also, i'm definitely looking to stay under $100, and preferably even under $75 if possible. i'm open either to an all-in-one unit or buying the legs and head separately, so long as the price is reasonable. anyone know of any decent 77" or 78" solutions that perhaps i'm not finding in my own searches?

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 04:21:37 PM »
If you're 77", you ARE a walking tripod. Good luck getting something decent for getting that tall less than $75.

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 04:27:06 PM »
If you're 77", you ARE a walking tripod. Good luck getting something decent for getting that tall less than $75.
thanks, that was helpful. just how am i supposed to stabilize a camera perfectly for 2 hours with my arms?

i don't think it's all that unreasonable. here is what appears to be a perfectly decent 72-inch unit for $30:

http://www.amazon.com/Zeikos-ZE-TR101A-72-Inch-Full-Tripod/dp/B001EYBA9G/

i just need an extra 5 or 6 inches.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 05:50:02 PM »
Not as easy being tall as shorter folks think. Sure you can change a light bulb without using a ladder but after years of being forced to lean over because most things are made for folks 5-6 to 5-8, one's back really starts to give one trouble.

Searching 77 inch tripod found a few results, most over your price range but this one caught my eye
http://www.digitalsalephoto.com/77prhedutrfo.html
Now to do some research on the company since I had never heard of them before.

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 07:40:10 PM »
thanks for the link. yeah, that's the same Zeikos one i've been looking at. that web store doesn't look totally legit to me though. i found the 77-inch Zeikos one on eBay, and will probably go ahead with buying it there soon unless anyone suggests something better. just thought i'd see if anyone knew of any other units i'm not seeing, before buying.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.116 seconds with 52 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com