Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I need some quick camera advice  (Read 4567 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
I need some quick camera advice
« on: June 02, 2010, 11:47:33 AM »
http://www.techforless.com/cgi-bin/tech4less/DMC-LZ7K?id=4GtEVc9I&mv_pc=38

I'm looking at the Panasonic DMC-LZ7K.

I can pick it up for $80 locally. The sale ends today.

My current camera, Nikon CoolPix (sucks in low light)
and isn't that great in flash either.

I'm just looking for a point and shooter that I can take to shows etc...

Anyone have this or know anything about it?

I need to know whether it's any good today, before it goes off sale.

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
Re: I need some quick camera advice
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 12:57:08 PM »
Well personally I think the quicktime mov format is antiquated now. Panasonic and Sony created the new compressed format, avchd, that the newest panasonic cameras use that format. Mov is all right but if you plan on using the video feature, don't expect it to perform too well.
this may not be too much better in low light than your coolpix but it is nice that this one runs off just AA batteries.

Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 01:16:25 PM »
the plus to quicktime is you can edit it much easier and its ok for youtube
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Chuck

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 01:36:23 PM »
I'm just looking to use it as a still camera, mostly.
They have a very liberal return policy, so I may just buy one and check it out.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Online Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 01:43:12 PM »
The f stop on that camera is f/2 - f/4.5. I would consider that to be okay. If it started at f/4.5 I would say no way. f/2 is pretty good.

I like to keep the lens open to f2.8 (or greater. For the f stop, lower is better).

The more you zoom the smaller the aperture so when you're really zoomed in, you will probably get some blurring (because you'll be at f/4.5), unless it's a really well lit stage. Ideally you would be close to the stage.

So, in ideal situations this will work.

IMO the best point and shot for the concert goer is the Canon S90 ($350 new). And even then I wouldn't expect professional results all the time.

Also, you don't want to use a flash at shows unless you are a few feet from the stage (and that's not nice to do to the performer). That little flash will only light up the heads of people in front of you.

I do really like the Panasonic cameras. They are right up there with Canon and Nikon. Certainly the best cameras from the non-camera companies.

If I had to guess I would think it would be either the same or just slightly better than your Nikon (since you didn't mention a model, I can't tell you for sure)

Oh, the sensor also has something to do with it, so you can't expect all camera that open to f/2 to perform the same.

With the liberal return policy you might want to give it a try.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Chuck

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 01:56:38 PM »
Thanks Mike. I don't recall the Nikon model #. But the noise in low light settings is horribly bad. Unusable in my opinion.

As far as f stops and all that...

My first real career was as a news photographer in the early 80's. I had three F3's (two high points) with motor drives, lenses from 24mm 2.8 to 300mm 2.8 and owned almost every Nikon body before the V3 (V2, FM, FE) at some point. They could all use the same lenses back in those days. I still have an FM. I got out of the photo biz before digital came along, so I'm pretty much clue-less about the digital stuff.

I am seriously disappointed in Nikon for selling such a piece of crap in the CoolPix... It's just horrible.

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 02:56:58 PM »
IMO the best point and shot for the concert goer is the Canon S90 ($350 new).

I've been needing to upgrade, and you just sold me on the S90.  Just placed my order from Amazon for $360.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Online Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 04:00:44 PM »

I've been needing to upgrade, and you just sold me on the S90.  Just placed my order from Amazon for $360.

:coolguy:

Should I email Amazon and ask for a commission?  :P

Right on Chuck for being a news photographer. People ask me all the time why I don't shoot pictures for a living. Your one of the people that understand why I don't! I love photography, but there is no way I could do it for a living.

Chuck, if you at a show in Boulder and want to borrow the 50D and 50mm f1.8 you're welcome to it anytime.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 04:26:01 PM »
I am seriously disappointed in Nikon for selling such a piece of crap in the CoolPix... It's just horrible.

I feel ya. I got a real old coolpix, 5700 series. its good for the time-lapses but not much else. we just have to remember that other nikon gear is very great but for point and shoot, I would take anything panasonic.

Your one of the people that understand why I don't! I love photography, but there is no way I could do it for a living.

People like joe mcnally and scott kebly do pretty well but they don't just focus on photography. they sell books, have seminars,  talk shows, etc.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 04:42:57 PM »

:coolguy:

Should I email Amazon and ask for a commission?  :P

Right on Chuck for being a news photographer. People ask me all the time why I don't shoot pictures for a living. Your one of the people that understand why I don't! I love photography, but there is no way I could do it for a living.

Chuck, if you at a show in Boulder and want to borrow the 50D and 50mm f1.8 you're welcome to it anytime.

Thanks for the offer.

At the end I even shot several friends weddings...  :really_sucks:
When I put the cameras down I never looked back and haven't really had a "good' camera all these years since.

My step-daughter followed a bit in my footsteps and is quite accomplished and makes good money on the side shooting team photos and action shots of kids soccer games. She's got a couple of Nikons with interchangeable lenses. I've used them a few times, but I have no desire to get back into the photography biz.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com