Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Final Cut Pro - The most difficult program to multi-cam edit...  (Read 12906 times)

Depechemode1993

• Trade Count: (0)
So I have been trying to setup this multi-cam edit with Final Cut Pro for the past few days and it has been very frustrating. I have 8 camera angles from a show. They were all filmed in AVCHD (all have about 2 GB splits, so a total of 7-8 files per camera). I encoded them to Apple Interm. HDV files so they are all the same and native to FCP.

FCP is nothing like Vegas. I feel like Vegas is so much simpler. But anyways getting back to the multi-clip.... I have the 8 cameras and since its not just one big file how do I sync them up camera to camera? I understand the inpoint for the first file and those sync up easily, but how do I add the rest of the camera angles to the multi-clip? When I select all of them they all will start at the beginning of the timeline instead of being added after the first of its camera files? Is this making sense? Here are some screenshots of what I am talking about. I just want to be able to do a live edit of this thing (like I have seen on youtube) on final cut. But I have not even been able to start this thing. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

here is an example of a few cameras (3) I have. You can see that the first files are synced up with the in points. But then the rest of the files are all independent to their first files of footage.

I want them to be able to look just like this, the whole camera angle in consecutive order. not like on top.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Final Cut Pro - The most difficult program to multi-cam edit...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 02:58:27 PM »
i am lost as to your exact issue but here is what i do
on the top left you should have your project and imported files
there should also be the sequence "file"
double click that to make sure its in the bottom across the whole screen
drag and drop the first part of camera one into the sequence timeline ("V1")
you should see the video and audio (which will need to be rendered or have audio dropped in)
at the end of the file drag and drop part 2 (and so on)
drag and drop camera 2 start file into "V2"
repeat for each file/camera

see the N shaped icon in the bottom left of the image you attached? click that to edit the angles so you can see the one you want when you want
use the top "arrow" icon on the far right to move the files to line them up and the bottom one to move the bar up and down for each angles fade in/out
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 03:24:39 PM »
i think i understand your problem.  so basically you've got 8 different angles, but each individual angle has multiple splits in them?  *if* you have external audio, or a 1 angle that is complete with no breaks, use that audio to essentially sync up all the other broken files.  after which you can export angles so you only have 8 'complete' angles, then do the whole multicam thing.  if you don't have a complete audio to synch to, then it gets trickier....

Depechemode1993

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 03:35:53 PM »
i think i understand your problem.  so basically you've got 8 different angles, but each individual angle has multiple splits in them?  *if* you have external audio, or a 1 angle that is complete with no breaks, use that audio to essentially sync up all the other broken files.  after which you can export angles so you only have 8 'complete' angles, then do the whole multicam thing.  if you don't have a complete audio to synch to, then it gets trickier....

I have 8 angles. All are complete. But because they were recorded on a Sony Hard Drive cam, all of the files are stopped at 2.12 GB and split into another file.

So once I sync all of the files how can I go about doing a multi-clip like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vvIwOGO8ZQ

Depechemode1993

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 04:00:26 PM »
ok, so I tried taking just 2 (for right now) and syncing both of them. I tried syncing the first kick bass that starts off the first song as my marker. I put a marker down on both files and then put the remaining video files in place. But when I go to the end of the set, both videos are out of sync? Both videos were shot in 29fps if you would like to know. What am I doing wrong?

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 04:42:51 PM »
Cant offer any advice on final cut as i only use vegas,but to overcome the file splits use mts file rejoiner it will rejoin the files seamlessly back together. Or i will offer to do your whole project for you.I work natively with AVCHD in vegas pro 9 with no transcoding.

Depechemode1993

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 07:15:46 PM »
Cant offer any advice on final cut as i only use vegas,but to overcome the file splits use mts file rejoiner it will rejoin the files seamlessly back together. Or i will offer to do your whole project for you.I work natively with AVCHD in vegas pro 9 with no transcoding.

I would really like to learn how to use FCP, since that is what I have here. Thanks for the offer.

I am beyond frustrated right now.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 09:06:15 PM »
For starters look for MTSfilejoiner its freeware and will fix the 2gb splits.Last i checked final cut didnt support avchd.Good luck and PM me if i can be of any assistance.

Depechemode1993

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 09:11:53 PM »
For starters look for MTSfilejoiner its freeware and will fix the 2gb splits.Last i checked final cut didnt support avchd.Good luck and PM me if i can be of any assistance.

Thanks beatkilla. Final Cut does not support AVCHD. So I had to convert the files to Apple Interm. Codec.

I am going through manually trying to sync everything up. Will see how this goes...

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 10:03:19 PM »
ok, so I tried taking just 2 (for right now) and syncing both of them. I tried syncing the first kick bass that starts off the first song as my marker. I put a marker down on both files and then put the remaining video files in place. But when I go to the end of the set, both videos are out of sync? Both videos were shot in 29fps if you would like to know. What am I doing wrong?
you may not be doing anything "wrong" all recording devices have different internal clocks and over time can see drift
there are ways to "stretch" files but i have never had luck doing that
the way i usually "fix" the problem is find 2 spots - 1 where it is on and one where its off, the closer together the better
cut the video in between somewhere and reposition it to be in synch again
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Depechemode1993

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 10:07:44 PM »
you may not be doing anything "wrong" all recording devices have different internal clocks and over time can see drift
there are ways to "stretch" files but i have never had luck doing that
the way i usually "fix" the problem is find 2 spots - 1 where it is on and one where its off, the closer together the better
cut the video in between somewhere and reposition it to be in synch again

Cool. I am trying that right now.

Even so, the reason I started with these two is that they are from the same brand and almost the same model (Sony HDR-SR10 and Sony HDR-SR11). Even between these two we would see such difference?

Depechemode1993

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 10:36:01 PM »
Well I got those two camera angles to mesh together! Actually what happened is when the Sony Cam would make the new file, it would actually stop recording for a few frames (I am guessing this is what its called?). Because I made track markers for each track and you could see it in the timeline:

Depechemode1993

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 12:16:47 AM »
So after a few hours of marking, I finally got all 8 cams synced and lined up! How do I go about using the "make multiclip" function out of the synced cameras? The other way how I use the razor blade tool and cut out everything is a bit tedious. I would rather just go through it one time live and just make cuts like that.

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 02:55:15 AM »
make only one of angles visible.  you can also do the same with the audio.  then export it into a new file.  repeat for all the other angles.  it helps if you make all of them have the same in point as well as audio.  then do the multiclip function. 

Depechemode1993

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 03:08:39 AM »
make only one of angles visible.  you can also do the same with the audio.  then export it into a new file.  repeat for all the other angles.  it helps if you make all of them have the same in point as well as audio.  then do the multiclip function.

Already starting it. Thank you everyone for your help!

One question with the in point. That is not necessarily where it begins, its just a place where it will sync the files? Because if I start at the first drum kick, I want to be able to have like 30 seconds before that.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.226 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com