Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Windscreens for AT853  (Read 9482 times)

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
Windscreens for AT853
« on: June 28, 2017, 11:21:01 AM »
Hi, I bought these windscreens for my AT853, the AT8153
https://www.thomann.de/nl/audio_technica_at_8153.htm?ref=search_rslt_at8153_138950_0

Seem to fit, but can someone recommend something smaller?
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline Perry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Windscreens for AT853
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 11:37:41 AM »
I use these: http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=SH-PREM-WS

They fit and work very well. Just be careful that the plastic locking ring doesn't block the mic's side vents when you install them.
"It hurts to lean back in handcuffs..."
^^~~~~~~~Todd Snider~~~~~~~^^

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 01:44:00 PM »
In my experience only the locking bigger windscreens work, the other smaller ones do nothing to stop wind at all.

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 01:48:45 PM »
In my experience only the locking bigger windscreens work, the other smaller ones do nothing to stop wind at all.

With the smaller ones, you mean the ones from SoundProfessionals?
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 03:28:01 PM »
I can't vouch for the "smaller" ones, but the AT8153 are a two-stage design, and do a very good job. Are you wanting smaller ones for 007 work?
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 03:29:35 PM »
 yeah 007 in a stadium....

Offline Perry

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 05:35:39 PM »
yeah 007 in a stadium....
Then you want the small ones from SP. They work just fine isolating HVAC noises, etc. For outdoor use I put home-made dead rats over them.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 09:29:08 PM »
I use these: http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=SH-PREM-WS

They fit and work very well. Just be careful that the plastic locking ring doesn't block the mic's side vents when you install them.

I recently picked up a pair of these on the recommendation of this thread, and while they fit great, it's really hard to tell if the locking ring is blocking the vents. I'm going to do some sound comparison tests to try to tell, but anyone else have any advice for avoiding this problem?

Offline Perry

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 03:39:17 PM »

I recently picked up a pair of these on the recommendation of this thread, and while they fit great, it's really hard to tell if the locking ring is blocking the vents. I'm going to do some sound comparison tests to try to tell, but anyone else have any advice for avoiding this problem?
As you slide the windscreen on an AT853 you'll feel a detent when the locking ring drops into the vents. When you feel that, pull the screen forward a bit, to just before the detent. You can also push it on past the detent but I mostly use SRS mounts so I can't cover too much of the mic body with a screen or it won't fit in the mount. This has been my experience with both card and omni capsules. I'll be interested to hear the results of your tests, I'm guessing that I wouldn't be able to hear the difference with amplified music but never wanted to chance it a a live gig.

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 07:19:37 PM »
As you slide the windscreen on an AT853 you'll feel a detent when the locking ring drops into the vents. When you feel that, pull the screen forward a bit, to just before the detent. You can also push it on past the detent but I mostly use SRS mounts so I can't cover too much of the mic body with a screen or it won't fit in the mount. This has been my experience with both card and omni capsules. I'll be interested to hear the results of your tests, I'm guessing that I wouldn't be able to hear the difference with amplified music but never wanted to chance it a a live gig.

Oh, stop short of the vents — that hadn't occurred to me. Do I not have to worry about wind noise on the sides of the mics?

The recordings I made with the windscreens snapped all the way on sound okay, but I've never recorded in these locations at these venues before, so I don't have a good grounds for comparison. Lemme do a test with my stereo right now.

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 08:00:23 PM »
Okay, that was interesting. There's no audible difference between having the windscreens off and having them just over the tips of the mics, but when they cover the vents you can definitely hear a difference:

http://demause.net/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/windscreen-uncovered.mp3

http://demause.net/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/windscreen-covered.mp3

And below is a spectral analysis of the two superimposed (green=uncovered, red=covered). I may try some EQ for those two affected sections to see if it improves my recordings from last week any. (For future recordings I'll avoid sliding the windscreens past the vents at all.)

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Nine Inch Nails Live Archive
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2019, 01:56:10 PM »
I used my AT853s the other day and had some really gnarly wind noise from some ceiling fans. I guess I've never known what the side grates are used for on the mics? Definitely want to get some smaller windscreens for 007. I was always under the assumption that the top of the mic was where the sound came in from?

http://www.ninlive.com]
http://www.ryanjonik.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0, Babynbox
Recorders: M10, A10, Zoom F8n, Marantz PMD-620 (Concert Mod), TCD-D8
Transfers: Everything you want

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2019, 02:11:23 PM »
I used my AT853s the other day and had some really gnarly wind noise from some ceiling fans. I guess I've never known what the side grates are used for on the mics? Definitely want to get some smaller windscreens for 007. I was always under the assumption that the top of the mic was where the sound came in from?

Sound enters both the front grille area (for end address capsules) and the "vents," which are used on directional mics for reduction in off axis sound.

You may have some luck finding dead rats for the 853s.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2019, 03:53:28 PM »

I've been meaning to try these but haven't gotten around to it yet: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=187778.0
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2019, 04:01:22 PM »
I use simple lapel mic screens   50 for $5.00 style ones easily available on ebay.   , yes not good for a windstorm but otherwise... 
and I tend to lose clips and screens all the time makes it much easier to deal with a loss than a 15- 20 $ piece. 
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com