Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 6  (Read 79365 times)

Offline Niels

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 6
« Reply #345 on: December 24, 2019, 12:26:25 PM »
Can anyone give me a guesstimate re. how long I can record 2 channels w. phantom utilising enelope pros in a 8 battery sled (MX-8AA)?

I am considering a MixPre 3, but not if I have to sacrifice compactness with the L mount sled or add complexity with external usb batteries.

thanks.
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RØDE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

Offline prepschoolalumniblues

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Scents and subtle sounds
    • Phish.net Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 24, 2019, 03:12:56 PM »
I usually run off an external Anker USB-C Powercore battery (it’s tiny!) but I forgot it at a recent Marco Benevento show and had to use my backup AAs. I think I got around 100 minutes running two channels of P48... which unfortunately was about ten minutes before the end of the show. If it had been two sets I could have easily swapped batteries without a problem but unfortunately it was one marathon set. To the MixPre-3’s credit, it saved the recording in progress when it shut down. However, I think this all goes to show that powering just off AAs is risky given how power-hungry it is — definitely consider the Anker route.

Can anyone give me a guesstimate re. how long I can record 2 channels w. phantom utilising enelope pros in a 8 battery sled (MX-8AA)?

I am considering a MixPre 3, but not if I have to sacrifice compactness with the L mount sled or add complexity with external usb batteries.

thanks.
Oktava MK-012 > Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Plus Mod)
AT853 > Marantz PMD620MKII (Oade Concert Mod)

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #347 on: December 24, 2019, 03:48:00 PM »

thanks.

I ran my MixPre 6 with 8 ENELOOP PRO AA's in a MX-8AA while recording 2 channels with phantom at 24/192 for 5 hours 8 minutes.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #348 on: December 24, 2019, 03:59:42 PM »
2 channels with phantom at 24/192 for 5 hours 8 minutes.
around 100 minutes running two channels of P48

it depends on how "power hungry" the mics are, as well as the battery type and number. Dogmusic ran the 8x AA sled, Prepschoolalbl didn't specify 4 or 8?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #349 on: December 24, 2019, 04:49:41 PM »

it depends on how "power hungry" the mics are, as well as the battery type and number. Dogmusic ran the 8x AA sled, Prepschoolalbl didn't specify 4 or 8?

My mics were AT4022’s. Tech sheet says: “48V DC, 3.0 mA typical”.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

• Taperssection Regular
    • Phish.net Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 24, 2019, 05:02:37 PM »
Oops — I was actually just using 4 AAs. Sorry I missed that. Hope some additional anecdata might still be helpful to someone.

These were Studio Projects C4s.

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #351 on: December 24, 2019, 05:10:08 PM »
I ran my MixPre 6 with 8 ENELOOP PRO AA's in a MX-8AA while recording 2 channels with phantom at 24/192 for 5 hours 8 minutes.

That's pretty much in line with my experience. I have never run them all the way down, but with 8 Eneloop Pros powering a pair of DPA 4015Cs (2.8 mA) at 24/48, I have recorded 3 hours and 40 minutes or so and still had half of the battery indicator lit. I would guess somewhat better than 5 hours total. I have recorded many shows this way, incidentally, but since I got an Anker USB-C battery, I use the Eneloops as a backup to the Anker.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #352 on: December 24, 2019, 11:15:39 PM »
Oops — I was actually just using 4 AAs. Sorry I missed that. Hope some additional anecdata might still be helpful to someone.

These were Studio Projects C4s.

all other things being equal, 8 batteries will run for more than twice as long as 4 batteries due to maintaining higher voltage
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #353 on: December 25, 2019, 04:07:49 AM »
Thats cool - thanks all!
I was hoping to hear that 8 AAs would be able to provide a comfortable 3 hours, which seems to be the case.
I prefer a self-contained unit, as I tend to make mistakes when too many cables, cords and connections are in play - as simple as possible for me.
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RØDE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #354 on: December 25, 2019, 08:09:20 AM »
Thats cool - thanks all!
I was hoping to hear that 8 AAs would be able to provide a comfortable 3 hours, which seems to be the case.
I prefer a self-contained unit, as I tend to make mistakes when too many cables, cords and connections are in play - as simple as possible for me.
I love my Anker USB-C pack, but you DO have to push the button to turn it on. I looked at my machine the other day and it said something like "INTERNAL BATTERIES LOW!" so I hit the button on the Anker pack to make it power up, and all was well. Later when I checked the voltage on those alkalines, they were at 1.42 volts each.

Incidentally, this was the same power cycle when I got the card speed error. Doubt it's connected but EVIDENTLY WE ARE ALL BETA TESTERS at our own expense.
Thanks, SD.
 :-X
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #355 on: December 25, 2019, 05:49:21 PM »
I love my Anker USB-C pack, but you DO have to push the button to turn it on.

I have been using the Anker PowerCore 10000 PD with my MixPre. One nice feature of this battery is that it automatically turns on when the recorder is powered up (that’s true regardless of whether you plug it in before or after turning on the SD). Obviously, it has a much smaller capacity than the Ankers recommended by SD, but it is also considerably smaller and lighter.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #356 on: December 25, 2019, 06:18:40 PM »
Thats cool - thanks all!
The foolproof method is an eight AA pack loaded with fresh NIMH and a 10,000 Milliamp external usb-c. even if your usb-c gets unplugged it switches seamlessly to AAs

alkaline are really not suitable except in an emergency
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline relefunt

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • kindfulness
    • Milwaukee Taper
« Reply #357 on: December 25, 2019, 09:38:47 PM »
I usually run off an external Anker USB-C Powercore battery (it’s tiny!) but I forgot it at a recent Marco Benevento show and had to use my backup AAs. I think I got around 100 minutes running two channels of P48... which unfortunately was about ten minutes before the end of the show. If it had been two sets I could have easily swapped batteries without a problem but unfortunately it was one marathon set. To the MixPre-3’s credit, it saved the recording in progress when it shut down. However, I think this all goes to show that powering just off AAs is risky given how power-hungry it is — definitely consider the Anker route.

————

Which Anker Powercore battery is tiny? Mine is kind of big. Thanks!
AKG c414xls, Beyerdynamic MC930, Line Audio CM3 and OM1. Superluxe S502mk2
Sneaky: Church CA11+14, Audiotechnica AT853.
Preamps: Shure FP24, CA9200.
Recorder: Sound Devices MixPre6, Roland R05, Sony M10.
my local taping blog: milwaukeetaper.com

• Taperssection Regular
    • Phish.net Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 26, 2019, 12:09:49 AM »
Anker PowerCore 10000 PD... “tiny” is a slight exaggeration, but it’s a ton of juice in a package that’s smaller than my phone in both length and width... I’ve used bigger batteries in the past and this one is somehow both smaller and more powerful. I charge it with the Scosche HPDC8C8 Powervolt 36W and an Anker cord. For some reason my Anker plug didn’t charge the PowerCore. These were all Wirecutter recommendations by the way — a great site to check out.

————

Which Anker Powercore battery is tiny? Mine is kind of big. Thanks!

Offline Chomps

• Trade Count: (18)
« Reply #359 on: January 17, 2020, 10:45:51 AM »
Any Gefell users run actives via PFA with the 10II?

I'm looking to hear samples as I an considering making the change to the Mix Pre.

Thanks!
Microtech Gefell m200/M20/M21/nBob Actives>PFA
Microtech Gefell m950
AKG 414 XLII
Telefunken M60/M61/M62
AT853
SD MP 10ii//Edirol R-44/Sony M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com