Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Western Digital " My Book" issues  (Read 4484 times)

Offline mikesalvo

• Trade Count: (51)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
Re: Western Digital " My Book" issues
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 07:47:01 PM »
this thread scares me. Im going to buy a DVD burner TMW! :-X
AKG se300b (ck/91, ck/93) > Busman T-Mod R-4

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2009, 02:47:21 PM »
There is no digital media that is foolproof, especially by burning. 

I am having RAMPANT failures on mutiple brands of both CDRs and DVDRs that have been burned 5 or less years ago.  It was NOT my burner either because the brands are inconsitently failing, as are the burns.  By rampant, I mean maybe one failed disc in 30 or so that is no longer readable.  To me that's WAY too high a percentage of data loss.

I VERY MUCH distrust burning discs as a result...not to mention that they're a PITA to catalog, store, and they take forever to burn a large amount of data.

I totally agree with whoever said that the way to go is to mirror harddrives.  This is how the best systems are backed up at most workplaces work, so why wouldn't you do the same thing at home?

Basically, I have everything backed up onto several redundant HDs.  If I start having HD problems on a drive, no matter if it's a cheap-ass drive or the most expensive drive money can buy, I have peace of mind knowing that all of my master recordings are backed up somewhere else. 

If you're really anal, store the backed up drives in an alternate location so there can be no common mode catastrophic failures, like fire or power surges.  Then once a month or so, re-mirror the drives. 

1TB drives are $100 now and it takes less than 8 hours to mirror the full 1TB...it would probably take 40 or 50 hours to burn that much data onto DVD.

Personnally, I don't really care if they're the cheap-ass drives or not because since I have five drives under my desk, as soon as I start seeing one of the drives having problems a) I know I already have the data backed up on a second drive and, b) it's time to start backing up the second source because the first source is about to take a dump!  c) once I mirror the drive, I've now got the data in 3 places and I could care less if the first drive fails (other than the fact that it cost $100 to replace the drive.)

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 12:24:38 AM »
1TB drives are $100 now and it takes less than 8 hours to mirror the full 1TB...it would probably take 40 or 50 hours to burn that much data onto DVD.

Personnally, I don't really care if they're the cheap-ass drives or not because since I have five drives under my desk, as soon as I start seeing one of the drives having problems a) I know I already have the data backed up on a second drive and, b) it's time to start backing up the second source because the first source is about to take a dump!  c) once I mirror the drive, I've now got the data in 3 places and I could care less if the first drive fails (other than the fact that it cost $100 to replace the drive.)

i mirror everything.  have an external 2tb raid drive. if everything fails at once, i will be fucked, but, i hate burning cd/dvd's.  that time is not well spent.  i have drives of different brands backed up by drives of different brands.  i do have to get a hold of WD, cause i've the same drive having a similar problem. 

i find i can remedy the problem (temporarily) by repowering the drive and/or computer to which it is connected.

wonder what technology will replace HD's --- solid state?
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com