Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Has any one started to use blu-ray for backing up...  (Read 5397 times)

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • ImageLume Photography
Re: Has any one started to use blu-ray for backing up...
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 11:36:15 AM »
Can anyone recommend a website with instructions for drive data restoration...or does anyone know how to do this?  Looks like I have a failure and like a COMPLETE doofus (since I have redundant drives and have a good data backup plan) I inadvertently allowed a fairly large batch of photo's to go un-backed up.  DAMMIT!  Fortunately, I'd backed-up all of my audio masters up, but the photos for some reason slipped under my radar.  It's a pisser because, as mentioned I've implemented a fairly detailed (and I think quite flawless) data back-up plan.  So, I'd purchased the necessary redundancy for my system and have I think 5 functional drives (check...make that four) for data storage and back-up. 

The good news in this though is that I have a duplicate model of the drive that failed, so perhaps someone can recommend a procedure for swapping parts so that I can mirror the failed drive using the functional drive.

The lesson learned from this story is that even when you have a great back-up plan and have designed your system, you still have to be diligent to update your data often to avoid losing anything.  In my case, I hadn't backed-up since mid-October and I ended up potentially losing some important photos.

Depends what failed.  I've used a utility called SpinRite and had mixed success, not with the software, more related to the specific type of drive failure.  If the drive is still functional at all it is your best shot short of spending serious $$.  If the drive is not spinning up you can try swapping the PCB board out, but that is a risky proposition and you could just as easily wind up with 2 dead drives and no hope of recovering your data.  If it is really important then your best bet is a professional recovery service.  I will tell you that Spinrite while extremely through, sacrifices speed to do so.  It can take upwards of a week to analyze a drive and recover data.  If you are truly worried about the data on the drive then I would highly recommend a professional option.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline imgoinmad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Production House Media
Re: Has any one started to use blu-ray for backing up...
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2009, 01:01:27 PM »
Can anyone recommend a website with instructions for drive data restoration...or does anyone know how to do this?  Looks like I have a failure

The good news in this though is that I have a duplicate model of the drive that failed, so perhaps someone can recommend a procedure for swapping parts so that I can mirror the failed drive using the functional drive.
I agree with the previous poster...depends what went wrong. if this is an internal drive it's possible only the partition table is damaged in which case software will let you rebuild it. On the mac Data Rescue II is a great software. For the PC, File Scavenger is an awesome software for data recovery.

If the problem is mechanical with the drive there are a couple of options. I had a drive which I could hear was attempting to spin however the spindles wouldn't turn (probably due to the lubrication gumming up caused by excessive heat). I did the freezer trick, which allowed me to access my data.   (Just google "Hard Drive Freezer" for more details)

If you're completely wanting to go professional to recover your data, i'd be wary of many of the sites that claim they can do this as in many cases they are charging HUGE dollars to do one of the above mentioned methods.  I would contact the Seagate company i365. They will give you a free estimate, provide free shipping and if they don't recover  your data they don't charge you. http://www.i365.com/data-recovery/index.html   

I'm not sure I'd attempt to do a parts replacement myself, as you can permanently disable the drive forever and you'd lose your 2nd drive in the process.
Field:
Schoeps CMXY4V>Oade Basic Mod Marantz PMD-671
CSB>Sony PCM-M1

Multitrack:
Digidesign 002R/Behringer ADA-8000/5 x Mackie HR-824's/1 x Mackie HRS120/Blue Sky BMC/Mackie Universal Control Surface
Dual ASUS 24in/Mac Pro 2x2.66ghz 6C Xeon/Mac OS 10.6.8/Pro-Tools 10+CPTK/Fostex D-5

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3043964/
http://www.productionhousemedia.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com