Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best way to convert tracked 24 bit to 16 bit?  (Read 8221 times)

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Best way to convert tracked 24 bit to 16 bit?
« on: April 12, 2010, 10:08:39 PM »
What are the thoughts on converting a 24/48 show that is already tracked to 16/44.1?  In the past, I've joined all the individual tracks back into a single WAV file and then resample/dither, retrack.  Just wondering if there is an easier method.  Audacity and CD Wave are my usual tools of choice.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
Re: Best way to convert tracked 24 bit to 16 bit?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 10:35:36 PM »
I do it for every show I do.  I track the 24/48 and then do a batch process in wavelab.   seems easier to me than saving a cue sheet and redoing cdwave (not that it's hard to do that).

batch process in wavelab

open wavelab and go to tools > batch.  then you should be on input.  input the tracked 24 bit files.  then go to output and point it to save in your 16 bit folder or wherever.  also make sure that output is set to 16/44.

go back to input.  there is a little box over to the right (between the A and extras buttons).  that is the edit batch plugins button.   click on it and then click on plugins > resampler 192 (I now use crystal re sampler).  click on it.  it should then move to the window on the left (sequence) .  double click on it to be sure it's set to 44.1.  then look back at the plugins and click on VST.  select what you use to dither.  I use izotope 4 most of you use uv22hr.    so under sequence should be resampler first and then the dither tool.    if you use izotope you must click on it to open it up and set up (turn on) the dither.  you do not have to for uv22hr.  always resample first then dither (make sure they are in the correct order and the first one is highlighted).

hit ok and then run and you will output 16/44 tracks from the 24/48 tracks.

Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

dorrcoq

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 11:53:05 PM »
I do it for every show I do.  I track the 24/48 and then do a batch process in wavelab.   seems easier to me than saving a cue sheet and redoing cdwave (not that it's hard to do that).

batch process in wavelab

open wavelab and go to tools > batch.  then you should be on input.  input the tracked 24 bit files.  then go to output and point it to save in your 16 bit folder or wherever.  also make sure that output is set to 16/44.

go back to input.  there is a little box over to the right (between the A and extras buttons).  that is the edit batch plugins button.   click on it and then click on plugins > resampler 192 (I now use crystal re sampler).  click on it.  it should then move to the window on the left (sequence) .  double click on it to be sure it's set to 44.1.  then look back at the plugins and click on VST.  select what you use to dither.  I use izotope 4 most of you use uv22hr.    so under sequence should be resampler first and then the dither tool.    if you use izotope you must click on it to open it up and set up (turn on) the dither.  you do not have to for uv22hr.  always resample first then dither (make sure they are in the correct order and the first one is highlighted).

hit ok and then run and you will output 16/44 tracks from the 24/48 tracks.

I use Cool Edit Pro instead of Wave Lab, but yeah, batch processing is the way to go.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 12:33:55 AM »
I downloaded Audacity (it was free) and use that.  Some people have also had success with R8Brain...

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
http://www.voxengo.com/product/r8brain/

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 12:47:05 AM »
My process for every show:

(1) Edit/process and save 24 bit version in Wavelab/Sound Forge.
(2) Track out and save 24 bit version in CD Wave (sort of free).
(3) Convert tracked 24 bit version to 16 bit in r8brain (free).
(4) Convert both version to FLAC with Traders Little Helper (free).
(5) Tag both versions with foobar (with Live Show Tagger plug-in).
(6) Convert 16 bit version to V0 MP3 with dbPowerAmp.

Works for me.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 12:55:05 AM »
My process for every show:

(1) Edit/process and save 24 bit version in Wavelab/Sound Forge.
(2) Track out and save 24 bit version in CD Wave (sort of free).
(3) Convert tracked 24 bit version to 16 bit in r8brain (free).
(4) Convert both version to FLAC with Traders Little Helper (free).
(5) Tag both versions with foobar (with Live Show Tagger plug-in).
(6) Convert 16 bit version to V0 MP3 with dbPowerAmp.

Works for me.

Similar:

1)  Dump 24/48 WAV file from HDP2 to PC.
2)  Create 24/48 WAV MD5, convert to FLAC, create FLAC FFP  (TLH)
3)  Convert 24/48 WAV to 16/44 WAV (Audacity)
4)  Track 16/44 WAV file.  Save CUE file and save new WAV files  (CDWave)
5)  Create WAV MD5 of new 16/44 tracked WAV files, convert to FLAC, create FLAC FFP  (TLH)
6)  Burn 24/48 FLAC file, WAV MD5, FLAC FFP, 16/44 tracked FLAC files, WAV MD5, FLAC FFP to DVDR

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 01:29:12 AM »
FWIW, I have a vague recollection that R8Brain in batch mode sometimes produced artifacts between tracks when I used it.  Make sure you test sufficiently before relying on batch resample in R8Brain (or any app for that matter).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 10:58:23 AM »
Guess I'll need to check out Wavelab and R8Brain.  Thanks for the details - much appreciated.

For clarification, someone sent me a tracked show but the files are 24 bit.  I am happy to seed the 24 bit version but would also like to seed a 16 bit version, preferably without having to retrack the show.

If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 11:29:53 AM »
Many editors allow batch processing.  In addition to WL and R8Brain, Audition/CEP and Samplitude will do the trick.  I'm sure others will, as well.  Unfortunately, I don't think freeware Audacity will do it, but I'm not positive since I haven't used it in ages.  Good luck!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 11:36:29 AM »
Many editors allow batch processing.  In addition to WL and R8Brain, Audition/CEP and Samplitude will do the trick.  I'm sure others will, as well.  Unfortunately, I don't think freeware Audacity will do it, but I'm not positive since I haven't used it in ages.  Good luck!

CEP does the batch processing (it's what I use), but it DOES result in sector boundary errors in the output files.  As long as you remember to fix these, you're fine.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 11:44:20 AM »

CEP does the batch processing (it's what I use), but it DOES result in sector boundary errors in the output files.  As long as you remember to fix these, you're fine.

I posted this above about wavelab as well.  it will cause a few sbe's and some header issues.  those will be fixed when flacing (align on sb) so never burn directly from the 16/44 output files.  flac them first.  not that many of use burn anymore ;)
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 11:47:54 AM »

Brian, I tried to do this very same thing in Audacity over the weekend with no luck. I was given a data DVD with pre-split 24/48 tracks, and when I converted them individually in Audacity to 16/44.1, I ended up with gaps between them when I tried to merge them back into a single file. The problem with the source files is the tracking is not exactly correct, and I am seeking to put the entire show back into a single wave file, and re-track it myself in CDWave. I also have Wavelab 6, can I use that instead of Audacity and accomplish this goal? Thanks!
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 11:58:16 AM »
. I also have Wavelab 6, can I use that instead of Audacity and accomplish this goal? Thanks!

if you mean the batch process then yes.  see my post above.

as for creating one wavefile and retracking you may need to copy and paste one after another.  sucks to do it that way.  I use wavemerge to do this but it doesn't work for 24 bit.  maybe there is a easier way.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 12:04:22 PM »
Brian, I tried to do this very same thing in Audacity over the weekend with no luck. I was given a data DVD with pre-split 24/48 tracks, and when I converted them individually in Audacity to 16/44.1, I ended up with gaps between them when I tried to merge them back into a single file. The problem with the source files is the tracking is not exactly correct, and I am seeking to put the entire show back into a single wave file, and re-track it myself in CDWave. I also have Wavelab 6, can I use that instead of Audacity and accomplish this goal? Thanks!

I always use shntool's join command to rejoin WAV files.

Link to LMA Recordings

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 12:05:20 PM »

I posted this above about wavelab as well.  it will cause a few sbe's and some header issues.  those will be fixed when flacing (align on sb) so never burn directly from the 16/44 output files.  flac them first.  not that many of use burn anymore ;)

Yes, I thought there might be SBE's created.  Thanks for the reminder.   :)

Link to LMA Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com