Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Casio DA-7 power  (Read 9026 times)

Offline sexymexi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
Casio DA-7 power
« on: September 18, 2003, 05:17:27 PM »
hey, i finally moved up to the world of DATs thank god..  but i got a great deal on a used casio da7, but it didn't come with a power cord, and the battery in it is dead.  I could make a custom power cable, but its kinda confusing.  The battery in it is a 6v batt, but the input for the power cable says 7v's.  I figured it would work off 6v's through the cable input, but it is a 3prong input.  a +, -, and ground.  it hasa diagram showing which is which, making it much easier, but i don't really understand the grounding on it.  i mean its a dc in, and couldn't you just run +/- from your batts into it? i might post be able to get pics on here to help explain better, and what the manualsays as well.  any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline EA

• Taperssection All-Star
Re:Casio DA-7 power
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2003, 05:49:18 PM »
I seem to recall these being a pain to power in the field and a bitch to get parts for (which is one of the reasons you see them go for so cheap on Ebay). Also, remember that the DA-7 uses pre-emphasis which isn't a good thing.
Why is there no boxing in the special olympics?

DaryanLenz

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2003, 06:27:44 PM »

DaryanLenz

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2003, 06:28:57 PM »
Here's your answer...

Daryan

<< Subject: Casio DA-7 has Sony sister unit?
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 10:21:28 -0500

In 1992, I purchased in Japan a Casio DA-7 portable DAT unit.  It
has provided years of good service, but unfortunately now
requires repair.  Problem is, no one here in Barcelona has parts
or expertise to repair a Casio DAT.  However, I seem to recall
that when I bought the unit, there was an absolutely identical
Sony model (looked like they had just slapped a Casio label on
the Sony, or vice versa) for sale.  If I can give them a model
number of the similar or identical Sony unit, then the local
Sony repair people are willing to have a go at repairing the
Casio.  Does anyone have any idea what model that may have been?
Alternatively, does anyone know where a Casio DAT can be sent for
repair, in Europe or in the U.S. (the unit only came with service
info. for Japan)?  Thanks a lot.

David B.
>

Hello David, (this is personal E-Mail to the posted response)

Casio DA-7, Denon DTR-100P, Teac DA-P20 are all mostly identical with the preamplifier being different only.  All these were manufactured by Casio for the others as an OEM agreement to Denon or Teac specifications.  All Transport parts and circuits are identical up to the preamplifier which is a Balanced XLR input system on the Teac model.  

The Denon should be almost completely identical to the Casio as both have Dual 1/4" unbalanced inputs.  

Just who will repair these has got to be a problem as I know Teac has for the past years virtually eliminated carrying parts for their version (batteries were available last I checked); it doesn't hurt to try getting service or parts from any of these manufacturers.

It may be time for another deck if simple cleaning doesn't solve the problem.

These decks are THE most reliable portable DAT machine ever made and I've not heard of any common problems other than needing cleaning (most any VCR repair tech can to this for you) or need of replacement batteries (which can be easily cooked if left overcharged on the charger over a few hours; run these batteries down completely 1st and charge no more that 6 hours if that long to avoid ruin).  

Running these decks on a Dual exteral battery pack using 6 D alkaline cells for the '+7v' and 6 C alkaline cells for the '-7v' supplies will give a very reliable +35 hours of recording time with plenty of low battery warning.

Check Sonic Studios Web Site for info on availability/price of the CD power system for these vintage decks.

Best Regards in Sound & Music Recording,
Leonard Lombardo, Sonic Studios(tm)..."Making Audio History With DSM(tm) Microphones"
TEL: 541-459-8839 /\ FAX: 541-459-8842 /\ USA Free: 1-888-875-4976
Informative WEB SITE:   http://HTTP://WWW.SONICSTUDIOS.COM
"A bit of knowledge coupled to a great deal of wisdom serves us

Offline TomK

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2003, 10:19:00 PM »
Ironic as I just built a battery pack for a friends p20 this afternoon! Cost me next to nothing at rat shack. here's a pic of the quasi-finished unit: (still have to put some velcro in the bottom to secure the battery holders and put 2 screws to hold the xlr in place.)

:afro:

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2003, 12:58:24 AM »
looks nice man, but i don't get the power thing... i mean there are 3 connections a +,-,ground.  and i've read the 6 D 6C batteries thing, but i don't yet get it...  don't think it will be such a problems as i'm sending it to prodigital here soon, they have batts i think, and i should be cool...  
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline EA

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2003, 06:51:56 AM »
Yeah, someone was just telling me yesterday that prodigital has internal and external batteries for these. Don't know about cost though.
Why is there no boxing in the special olympics?

Offline spott

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2003, 10:25:47 AM »
Another DA-7? Wow... I thought I was the only one. Anyway, I love mine it's a true workhorse deck, the only problem you'll find is that you'll have a real hard time getting replacement parts for it if something goes wrong.

That being said, I've got a 6 D cell sled that powers the DA-7 for about 6 hours - I know they stopped making these because the plug on the power adapters are VERY hard to come by.

I'll take some pictures of mine later today and get them on here

Spott

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com