Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Soundboard taping  (Read 4897 times)

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA bookmarks
Re: Soundboard taping
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 01:36:52 PM »
I made my self a set of cable w/ built in attenuators -25dB for the same problem at my my home town venue where I do most of my taping.

http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 04:14:25 PM »
Most of the time I plug into soundboards, I am able to get the levels adjusted. Using the (much lower) canned music between bands, I set my levels to 0, and try to get the output to about 30% of where I will want it for the band. I think that only once did the sound tech say she could not drop the levels--but even that was disputed by the band's engineer after the show.
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline dolphinsmile

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 05:24:25 PM »
In my small experience doing soundboard recordings,  a lot of the cheaper boards do not have a level out adjustment.  This is especially true of older boards.  I've found that most boards with RCA out's do not have an adjustment... a lot of Yamaha boards seem to be this way.  Some boards offer both XLR and RCA outs, in those cases the XLR usually has adjustable output while the RCA does not.  I've not had much experience with 1/4".

I always bring my own attenuators, even if the board has adjustable output. 
Reason:  The sound man is usually busy dialing in the house sound and I don't want to bother him/her during the first couple of songs.

That's just been my experience, yours may vary.

ive taped many many time off the 'sdb' and frankly most of the time its a waste of time. the mixers are crap and sometime not all the instruments are coming from the board. you need to go in thru the line in
not the mic in, if you use mic in forget its going to distort.
an attenuator cable is useful if the signal is too hot. and being nice to the soundman is a plus.
xlr cables with a mini stereo is also uselful.

Zippina

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 03:44:27 PM »

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 05:41:36 AM »
Yup, if you like dry sounding unexciting recordings that have drums and vocals mixed too low in the recording, then SBDs are GREAT!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 05:48:31 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2008, 02:09:04 AM »
Yup, if you like dry sounding unexciting recordings that have drums and vocals mixed too low in the recording, then SBDs are GREAT!
Vocals mixed too LOW? Uh, most SBD recordings have PLENTY of vocals, as well as keyboards, effects, and whatever else is NOT loud on stage. If I have to choose to make only one recording, I'll usually put up a good pair of mics in a good-sounding spot, but if I have two recorders, I love to take a board feed to mix with my Neumann recording!
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com