Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Conflicted About What to Include...  (Read 5656 times)

Offline VH Drummer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Conflicted About What to Include...
« on: July 21, 2009, 04:44:44 PM »
So I'm writing an article for a local entertainment magazine on taping shows (stealth).  This topic is proving to be very tough as I don't want to give away too much information about venues or all the "tricks" involved; but I feel I need to disclose some methods.

Anyone have any suggestions?  I was going to mention this site as a means for getting advice on recorders and microphones but not in specific to stealthing shows. 

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Re: Conflicted About What to Include...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 04:48:22 PM »
Ummm... No, thanks.

As a stealth taper, why would you want this kind of attention brought upon you individually or the community in general?
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline J.Maye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Formerly Phan2001
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 04:57:03 PM »
It turned out real well for the last guy.  ::)
AKG CK91/92/93/94>mk93/h98>se300b>BM2P+ua5>M10
Or
CA ST11 (C,O)>9100>M10
Busman T mod R4

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 05:08:34 PM »
don't do it.   :-X
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 05:27:12 PM »
Write about open taping and leave it at that.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline DisturbedPyro

• Taperssection Member
  • "Taper you are looking for I am not."
    • Disturbed Trade Forum
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 05:58:13 PM »
agreed. leave stealth taping stealth
My Masters
One song samples of all my masters

My Rig: IRiver H320 -> Church-Audio STC-11 Cardioid Mics -> BAT-2B

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 06:03:31 PM »
Sounds like a good opportunity to disseminate misinformation.  Stealthing only takes place when a taper is able to smuggle in a fake plastic head for a mic stand :-) 

So I'm writing an article for a local entertainment magazine on taping shows (stealth).  This topic is proving to be very tough as I don't want to give away too much information about venues or all the "tricks" involved; but I feel I need to disclose some methods.

Anyone have any suggestions?  I was going to mention this site as a means for getting advice on recorders and microphones but not in specific to stealthing shows. 
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline VH Drummer

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 06:20:45 PM »

I think that's the direction I'm going to take it and leave it.

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 06:27:13 PM »
All I gotta say is WOW...I gotta speak up here....I can't let this one go by..

Why not just give your bank account number out to everyone.......

Of course you wouldn't.....why because its yours...Its like trade secrets....you don't give them out....

This is the type of stuff that hurts the community as a whole...I understand there is an interest, but in the long run it hurts everyone the good taper and the bad...  I by no means condone stealthing someone who's wishes are not to be taped....but the community at large especially the target audience doesn't get the whole recording thing...

We have a hard enough time not being called bootleggers...I just don't see this turning out good.  It will blow up in your face and bring all kinds of unneeded attention....to yourself and the taping community.  As for directing people to this site thats cool but only if people are interested in recording live shows the right way and for the fun of it...This is an investment  in time and money and gear......not to learn the inappropriate or bad side of recording.. All it does is set the community back as a whole....I wouldn't touch this with a 10 foot pole....

It pisses me off because one of my favorite bands no longer allows recording( Jorma and Hot Tuna) because of this I no longer go see them.  This happened because some idiot posted a live recording for sale that had anyone known about the taping community could have had them for free....but this jack ass ruined it for everyone...

man I could ramble on, but need to go take a deep breath..... and regroup.....peace out..

pissed off in PA.....
OOK
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 08:34:04 PM by OtheroneK »
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Depechemode1993

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 09:49:03 PM »
I think if you talked about open taping it would show the good that most tapers do and how tight this community really is. Especially after going to Bonnaroo this year you can tell how friendly and nice tapers are to everyone, its so cool to talk to other people who have the same interests as you do and talk all geek, but still many of these people are friends not just people that come to this site and yack it up. I can tell you that from the people I have met on this site at festivals/shows will always be friends of mine and always have a place to crash if need be.

Stealthing is over-rated, its best if you talk about open taping and since your from MI I think I have an idea of the local entertainment mag...

stevetoney

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 10:49:14 PM »
Now that the cats out of the bag about your article, I hope you aren't going stealth on writing about stealth just to get people off your case.  ;)  I agree with the general concensus here that you shouldn't write the article about stealth. 

One thing I'd point out is that IF you do decide write the article about stealth recording, I for one would be pretty bummed if you pointed the readership of your article to ts.com.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 01:22:06 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline Nielsen81

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 07:43:54 AM »
It turned out real well for the last guy.  ::)

What happened to him?
Have you taped a Nirvana show or do you know anyone who has? Then please contact me or go to LiveNirvana.com

Offline bgreen

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live music taper and archivist
    • Live Music Preservation Project
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 07:48:12 AM »
I would definitely be all over the open taping. Any article written about taping by a taper is a great opportunity to improve the view on us by attendees, venues, and artists. Make sure you hit on the historical importance of what we do.  I would certainly leave stealth taping in the seedy underworld where it belongs  >:D

Off Topic -

It pisses me off because one of my favorite bands no longer allows recording( Jorma and Hot Tuna) because of this I no longer go see them.  This happened because some idiot posted a live recording for sale that had anyone known about the taping community could have had them for free....but this jack ass ruined it for everyone...
pissed off in PA.....
OOK

I went and saw Jorma & Barry at the club cafe in pitt in March. Great place, very small, very intimate. I was able to talk in length to Barry and Jorma after the show and I asked about their taping policy. They said their biggest issue isn't folks selling the recordings, although that doesn't help, but rather the fact that their new songs aren't new by the time the official releases come out. Just thought I would interject, totally off topic, sorry ;)

Offline kcmule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 09:22:36 AM »
It pisses me off because one of my favorite bands no longer allows recording( Jorma and Hot Tuna) because of this I no longer go see them.

This is something I just can't understand.  So for you, and many others
I'm guessing, it really isn't about seeing/enjoying/listening to live music?
It's more about just being able to record it?  They could be terrible and
you'd still go as long as you can record?  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy
recording live music but I go for the music first.  If I can record, great.
If not, I'm still going because I enjoy the music.

/thread hijack.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 09:59:54 AM »
A lot of people on this board have thrown fits and left shows because they were denied.  I think their priorities are backwards.  Support the band, stay and listen to the music and chill out.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com