Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Can a minidisc record true 16/44?  (Read 2755 times)

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
Can a minidisc record true 16/44?
« on: May 13, 2004, 07:27:31 PM »
I've seen some squabbling on a band list and was wonder the true answer......I've never used or been exposed to any minidiscs and didn't know whether it is possible or not.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2004, 07:28:51 PM by bhadella »
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Can a minidisc record true 16/44?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 07:29:52 PM »
no

but this new highres minidisc that sony is releasing can
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline sexymexi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 07:49:27 PM »
it records 16/44 but its got the atrac encoding, which is somewhat lossy.  i've only done one comparison, and i would think most people could tell the difference.  A howie day show i have was done on MD and i didn't know till i looked up the source.  if you look in the manual, in my sony MDn707 it says it records at a sample rate of 44.1, and lossier if you do the lp modes, and it has a frequency responce of 20-20khz.  I'd have to find my manual, but i do remember reading that.  hope that helps man.

matt
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
  • "Ugh, is that digi noise?"
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 12:46:09 AM »
One man's opinion, the ATRAC compression scheme is far superior to even "great" MP3 compression. Sony got it right. But compression is compression, so if there is a DAT or JB3 copy available, that would be the more "pure" source.

But at the heart of this discussion is "what makes a good tape". Some people would say that no matter how good an MD tape can be (think FOB), it'll never be "pure" enough to trade because it is MD sourced.

I think the MD was a good tool for newbies to learn about taping with. It will teach you to watch your gear carefully, with the fear of dropouts and the need to flip tapes. It's cheaper to get an MD deck than jumping right into a DAT, and if you don't like it in the end, you still have a nice compact portable music player. However, even with the new Hi-MD format coming out, I wouldn't reccomend newbies go with MD. The JB3 seems to be the better choice for todays novice.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 10:07:54 AM »

I think the MD was a good tool for newbies to learn about taping with. It will teach you to watch your gear carefully, with the fear of dropouts and the need to flip tapes. It's cheaper to get an MD deck than jumping right into a DAT, and if you don't like it in the end, you still have a nice compact portable music player. However, even with the new Hi-MD format coming out, I wouldn't reccomend newbies go with MD. The JB3 seems to be the better choice for todays novice.

The other thing about MD's and newbies is that they will prolly be pretty happy with the results, because presumably, they don't have 'as trained' of an ear. My change from MD to NJB3 was more because of transfers/ no discs, as oposed to sound quality, per se... but now that I have the NJB3, I wouldn't want an MD again...

NJB3 refurb'd on Ebay is not too much more expensive than an MD from Circuit City... if you figure in the price of a few 20 pax of discs, and a deck for digital transfers, since most portable MD's have no digi-outs, its easy to rationalize spending a little more money on an NJB3.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Savage Messiah

• Taperssection Newbie
    • My Trading Site
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2004, 02:50:09 PM »
I still won't use a JB3 cause they're too big. They are 2 MD recorders wide and must weigh as much as 3-4 MD recorders, and soak up a ton more power. If true newbies try to stealth with JB3's, they won't last very long, or it will be a good trial by fire.

The fact that no one is making a smaller HD recorder that's as good as the JB3 really pisses me off. Sony could make a killing there, but they're too stubborn.
Collecting "new" gear.

ISO stealth DATs and cassettes from '90s rock shows!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2004, 02:58:59 PM »
I still won't use a JB3 cause they're too big. They are 2 MD recorders wide and must weigh as much as 3-4 MD recorders, and soak up a ton more power. If true newbies try to stealth with JB3's, they won't last very long, or it will be a good trial by fire.

The fact that no one is making a smaller HD recorder that's as good as the JB3 really pisses me off. Sony could make a killing there, but they're too stubborn.

If I can stealth with this stuff, and others can stealth with similar gear + a modSBM-1 in the mix, just about anyone should be able to stealth easily even with the NJB3 footprint.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

taperkat

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2004, 10:41:49 PM »
if i can stealth a d8, md, enough blanks for 5 hours for each, appropriate cables, a battery box, and mics, and still be front row in front of a mosh pit...

;)

Offline Savage Messiah

• Taperssection Newbie
    • My Trading Site
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2004, 12:02:10 AM »
If I can stealth with this stuff, and others can stealth with similar gear + a modSBM-1 in the mix, just about anyone should be able to stealth easily even with the NJB3 footprint.

I might be happy stealthing with the JB3 remote, but that's another 70 bucks mint. I guess that would be more realistic if I ran a $2000 setup already, was a few years older, and had a career...haha

I saw the pics of your stealth rig, and I had no idea that the D100 remote showed levels.... I'll be keeping that in mind for sure. I've got a new setup in mind....

AT933/C's in lapels > mod Denecke PS2 (1/8" out)  on waist with belt clip > mod SBM-1 in left pocket > D100 in right pocket, with D100 remote the only thing showing....

The mod SBM-1 I could get after selling my AD-20, which I haven't used.

I guess the main thing is confidence with stealth. If you can take over $2000 into a venue and come out with no gray hairs and without 5 lost pounds in sweat, give yourself a +T.. hehe
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 12:04:58 AM by Savage Messiah »
Collecting "new" gear.

ISO stealth DATs and cassettes from '90s rock shows!

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2004, 01:52:30 AM »
I took about $1500 of gear into an Aerosmith show the other night. Great tape, some sweat, but there wasn't even a patdown!! Just a tip if anyone else decides to go see them, I could have smuggled in my full rig if I wanted to.

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2004, 02:59:34 AM »

but with the jb3 you can just tell security it's your mp3 player and most likely they won't say another word.

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2004, 09:29:44 AM »

but with the jb3 you can just tell security it's your mp3 player and most likely they won't say another word.

... other than, "Cool, it's your MP3 player. Okay. Why was it stuffed behind your junk?"

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2004, 02:17:48 PM »

... other than, "Cool, it's your MP3 player. Okay. Why was it stuffed behind your junk?"

thats why you non-schalantly put in in your bag or whatever w/ a couple discs or something, or have a couple bunk songs loaded on there ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com