Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What optical cable should I get for my JB3?  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Tye

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • No news is good gnews without Gary Gnu
What optical cable should I get for my JB3?
« on: July 30, 2004, 10:01:13 AM »
I am finally getting myself one of the infamous JB3's and yes I have checked all of the archival info and FAQ's but I don't
see any particulars of which optical cable is the best to use in the field. I will be usingDIY digimod  UA5 > JB3. Which cable should I get?
Peluso cemc6/ck-21/ck-4 > Karma K10mp > Hydra's > Sound Devices MP-2> Buman T mod R4 - R9HR

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • www.tapers.org
Re: What optical cable should I get for my JB3?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 10:25:02 AM »
i use the phoenix gold dtx.910
we all live downstream.

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2004, 10:27:02 AM »
i have a bettercables.com optical cable for situations like this.

Offline Tye

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 11:24:55 AM »
Do you need a splitter from the UA5 since there is a left and right optical out? Or is there a cable that is a Y on one end and a single input for the JB3? kind of like an RCA to mini cable

Edited to cross out dumb question
« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 01:00:31 PM by Tye »
Peluso cemc6/ck-21/ck-4 > Karma K10mp > Hydra's > Sound Devices MP-2> Buman T mod R4 - R9HR

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2004, 11:35:09 AM »
Do you need a splitter from the UA5 since there is a left and right optical out? Or is there a cable that is a Y on one end and a single input for the JB3? kind of like an RCA to mini cable

You might want to look a bit closer at the back of your UA5. There is ONE output and ONE INPUT.

You need a TOSLINK -> MINI optical cable.

MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Tye

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2004, 11:42:31 AM »

You might want to look a bit closer at the back of your UA5. There is ONE output and ONE INPUT.

You need a TOSLINK -> MINI optical cable.

MIKE B
'
 Doh  :-[ you are right I have not payed much attention to the back lately I should not of assumed. So is there a common used cable that people have not had any problems with?
+T to all for the help

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2004, 11:47:15 AM »
never ever had a problem with my bettercables.com cable.  not the cheapest cable out there, but id venture to say its one of the most nicely built optical cables out there

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2004, 12:20:53 PM »
Ahem.  :P  Check the Archival Info forum (again) for a thread titled something like "optical cable options".
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Tye

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2004, 12:59:30 PM »
Ahem.  :P  Check the Archival Info forum (again) for a thread titled something like "optical cable options".
Brian please don't get me wrong I am amazed at the extent you go to provide such good info for everyone but all that "optical cable options" told me was of 3 cables that were available(which was a help)  I was looking more for what people who use UA-5 > JB3 thought was the best cable from experience. I know I am still a newbie and I am sure you get frustrated with the same questions over and over again but I did read up on everything I could including the many FAQ that you did such a good job doing. Thanks for providing such a great place to learn so much from! :)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2004, 01:28:29 PM »
I don't get you wrong, Tye, you make valid points.  And thank big Bri for the forum, I simply spend too much time here!

The archived post includes five cables with which users have enjoyed success.  Maybe some UA5 users will chime in with their specific cables, but I think this is one of those situations in which there is no consensus on the "best" optical cable for the UA5 > JB3 combo.  For the recording we do, optical cable quality for field recording is really only an issue if you use a really crappy cable that causes problems, IMO.  If you have a monster audiophile playback system, you *may* be able to hear the difference between optical cables during playback.  But then again, you may not.  And while recording?  I'll bet big bucks against someone identifying an expensive audiophile optical cable v. a quality consumer cable.

FWIW, just about any reasonable quality optical cable (like the five referenced) will work well UA5 > JB3.  Only real question in my mind is whether you want right-angle cables or not, and if so whether to get a cable with built-in right-angle connectors or simply use right-angle adapters.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Tye

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2004, 01:32:46 PM »
Brian thanks for understanding! Thanks again for the help +T

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com