Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording lectures with a NJB3 - gear needed?  (Read 2750 times)

Offline konstantinos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Blogpad
Recording lectures with a NJB3 - gear needed?
« on: April 30, 2005, 08:34:11 PM »
Hello everyone, and congratulations on setting up an excellent forum/community.

I've been lurking here for a while to get the feel of it, and I've also read the FAQs corresponding to my case (I own a NJB3).

Being the lazy fellow that I am, I either miss the lectures given from the professors at my uni, or --when I'm finally there-- I don't pay attention (feeling too sleepy 8))

The rooms aren't too big; I'd say I'm sitting at a 10-15m distance from the prof. This should be a stealth recording, cause the professor will probably freak out otherwise.

I'd like to do the job as cheaply as possible (<$100, and even less if possible?), but keeping the quality as high as possible (within my budget); I guess I'm looking for that golden price/efficiency sweetspot.

So, my question to you fellow tapers is: what gear do I need to record the lectures using my NJB3?

From the NJB3 operating FAQ I guess I'm looking for a miniature electret microphone" and a "battery box". Should I go for a battery box that has just a "volume knob", or is it better to go for a battery box that has a "microphone preamp built-in"?

Am I right in this? Is something additional needed? Can we omit something from this chain?

(It may sound like I know what I'm talking about, but I have no idea - I'm merely quoting the FAQ...)

If you could point me to specific models, and maybe quote prices for used models, I'd appreciate it a lot, being the taping newbie that I am.

Also, hints and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Recording lectures with a NJB3 - gear needed?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 04:33:17 PM »
Well, if you aren't going to use this setup for anything else besides recording lectures, try to pick up some cheap-ass mics off ebay or SP (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48680&item=5769423068&rd=1 or

With the mics you can run mic-in to the jb3 (be sure to update your firmware).  Mic in is basically line in with a +24 db gain boost (which you should NEVER use for recording shows, stealthing or otherwise.)

THis will give you decent quality, good enough for you to listen back to.

Here is a link to a battery box that I have been seeing all over Ebay...Just a note, there have been complaints from users on this oard about the quality, so caveat emptor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3281&item=5764259810&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

Good luck, and let me know if you have any more questions.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline konstantinos

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Blogpad
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 05:24:40 PM »
Direwolf, thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions. I appreciate your help.

A few questions if I may:

Well, if you aren't going to use this setup for anything else besides recording lectures, try to pick up some cheap-ass mics off ebay or SP (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48680&item=5769423068&rd=1 or
"...off ebay or SP" - what's SP?

With the mics you can run mic-in to the jb3 (be sure to update your firmware).  Mic in is basically line in with a +24 db gain boost (which you should NEVER use for recording shows, stealthing or otherwise.).
That first link to the DS70P mic you gave me is good news, since the same model can also be found at bluetin.com, from where I intend to make a purchase.

But I totally lost you on the mic-in part. Do I just buy the mic, and plug it in the line-in of my NJB3? Or do I have to buy that battery box which provides the mic-in?

Thanks again for your help.

If anyone else out there is reading, feel free to add your suggestions and opinions.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 05:26:49 PM by konstantinos »

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 06:33:29 PM »
Sorry for the confusion.  "SP" stands for Sound Professionals, a group that sells some pretty high end A/V Equipment, but also retails some cheaper battery boxes, and other budget equipment.  Check 'em out, they're good people, fast shipping... www.soundprofessionals.com

Before I go any further with explaining mic in, please download and install the latest firmware for your JB3.  The files and directions can be found here:

http://www.nomadness.net/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=7

As for mic in:

The JB3 has a 1/8" jack that says "Line In/Optical."  That little jack is used for anything that is fed into the JB3 (besides of course, when you hook it up to your Computer.)  You can run a line in from another deck, a receiver, a TV, or anything that has a powered output that is strong enough for the line level.  Running line in gives you some choices, you can select the type of file to record to and also the amount of gain to apply (-12db to +12db).  Running optical is a different idea, and it doesn't apply to your situation at all.  If you want to read more about this stuff, check out the JB3 FAQ at http://www.taperssection.com/index.php?board=14;action=display;threadid=16338

On the latest firmware, you have the choice of running mic in.  Mic in allows you to plug a stereo or mono microphone into the 1/8" line in jack.  After you do this, select record audio from the menu on the JB3, then select "mic in" from the recording source menu, then select "monitor recording."  Two meters will appear on the right side of the screen (which represent the left/right signals being fed into the jb3.)

As opposed to line in, mic in adds 24db's of gain to your signal, because microphone signals are very very quiet.  This amount of gain should get you decent results in taping lectures, but as stated earlier, DON'T try to tape a show with this setup.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Offline konstantinos

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Blogpad
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 07:06:14 PM »
Direwolf, thank you so much for the fast and helpful clarifications!

I'll try only the mic at first, and if the quality is horrible, I may start looking for a battery box.

I'll place my order for the DS70P from bluetin.com in the following days.

I'll be sure to report my progress here (it could take a while though).

If you or anyone else has any tips/suggestions/etc. to give, I'm all ears.

Again, thank you very much for the help!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 10:37:58 PM »
I'll place my order for the DS70P from bluetin.com in the following days.

The DS70P requires plug-in power, which I don't think the JB3 provides.  That means you'll need to find some way of powering the DS70P.  I'm not familiar with the DS70P so I'm uncertain about your options for providing it with plug-in power.

Other options:  different mics that are powered by an internal, replaceable battery.  The ECM-719 and ECM-MS907 fit this category, and while a few bucks more than the DS70P, probably cheaper than the DS70P + a battery box.  Looks like the ECM-719 might suit your needs well, while the ECM-MS907 might be a bit too bulky.  You could also look into a single, mono mic - it's just a lecture and doesn't really *need* to be in stereo.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline konstantinos

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Blogpad
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 08:31:20 AM »
The DS70P requires plug-in power, which I don't think the JB3 provides.  That means you'll need to find some way of powering the DS70P.  I'm not familiar with the DS70P so I'm uncertain about your options for providing it with plug-in power.

Other options:  different mics that are powered by an internal, replaceable battery.  The ECM-719 and ECM-MS907 fit this category, and while a few bucks more than the DS70P, probably cheaper than the DS70P + a battery box.  Looks like the ECM-719 might suit your needs well, while the ECM-MS907 might be a bit too bulky.  You could also look into a single, mono mic - it's just a lecture and doesn't really *need* to be in stereo.
Brian, thank you very much for the important tip. Plug-in power is going to be a problem, so having a mic with an internal replaceable battery is a must.

Did you suggest the ECM-719 only because it's also available from bluetin.com, or is it indeed a nice mic? Feel free not to limit yourself to bluetin.com products in your suggestions.

Also, any good mono mics to suggest for my purpose?

Thank you very much for the help.

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 09:38:25 AM »
For what you are doing, basically any self powered mic is fine.  The ECM Mics can be had anywhere, from e-bay to amazon.com.

If you want to shoot for something better, check soundprofessionals.com

Good Luck.

Ray76

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 06:42:41 AM »

Brian, thank you very much for the important tip. Plug-in power is going to be a problem, so having a mic with an internal replaceable battery is a must.

Did you suggest the ECM-719 only because it's also available from bluetin.com, or is it indeed a nice mic? Feel free not to limit yourself to bluetin.com products in your suggestions.

Also, any good mono mics to suggest for my purpose?

Thank you very much for the help.

FWIW, i have a sp-pasm-2 from sp that is both a mic and a preamp that many folks use for lectures, and it will serve you very well.

180 bucks shipped, mint condition.

Ray

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com