Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Really weird thing happened when recording.... need help.  (Read 2644 times)

Offline TyBO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Really weird thing happened when recording.... need help.
« on: January 31, 2006, 07:18:15 PM »
Hi everyone,

I made my first recording today on a Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD Recorder/Player, but something really bizarre happened while recording.  The Hi-MD player would randomly cut the recording of the file it was making, create a new file, and start recording to that.  There are no gaps between any of the files so it plays back sounding like one long recording, but now I have 50 seperate files on my computer of different parts of the same recording.

Is there any easy way to merge these 50 files into 1 big file?  I'd really appreciate the help!!

Thanks,
Tyler

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
Re: Really weird thing happened when recording.... need help.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 07:19:41 PM »
If you have Adobe Audition or Cool Edit Pro, you can select all the files in File > Open Append and they'll be opened into a single 2-channel WAV edit session.

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline TyBO

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 07:43:29 PM »
OK, cool.  I'm downloading a trail version of Cool Edit Pro now...

I'll have to look at the instructions manual to learn how to turn off auto track mode.

Thanks Jason and O-Canis for the help!  ;D

nameloc01

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 10:29:05 PM »
i have the same md. the unit comes factory set to record in the "groups" setting. go into the main menu and turn the groups setting to off.i had the same problem at first,it was driving me fuckin nuts.then i happen to notice the boldface heading about this in the manual. ::)
ps. one more hint i'll give you.although a decent unit,if you are planning on running mic in, you may want to only use that for softer/acoustic music.it only provides 3volts to the mics,which wonty give you enough juice to record high volumes(the signal will clip)use a batt. box and defintely go with line in.you'll have to raise your recoding levels,as the line in records at a lower level than mic in.(well worth it!!!)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 10:32:04 PM by nameloc01 »

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 11:28:46 PM »
It's a bug/quirk of Hi-MD recording line-in.  Just happens, isn't based on any of the record settings.
There's at least one other thread about it here.  Basically, the only way to limit the number of tracks it'll make is to run your levels as high as you reasonably can, as it tends to track at quiet parts.
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 03:50:46 AM »
Hi everyone,

I made my first recording today on a Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD Recorder/Player, but something really bizarre happened while recording.  The Hi-MD player would randomly cut the recording of the file it was making, create a new file, and start recording to that.  There are no gaps between any of the files so it plays back sounding like one long recording, but now I have 50 seperate files on my computer of different parts of the same recording.

Is there any easy way to merge these 50 files into 1 big file?  I'd really appreciate the help!!

Thanks,
Tyler

This is the one thing that it a PITA with MD.  If there is any "silence", it splits the tracks.  This seems to happen only on line in, not on mic in, but I don't know why.  And there appears to be *no* way to disable this!

OK, rather than loading a bunch of files in.  (I had problems with tiny irritating gaps when converting to wav and importing into Audition.)  Do your editing *on the minidisc*.  Push the play button.  While playing, move forward or backward (tilting the play button from side to side).  Each time you change tracks, hit "track mark".  That will delete the track you are sitting on.  Just keep doing that "fwd", "track mark", "fwd", "track mark", etc, until all the tracks are gone and you're left with a single file.

This is the only editing I would recommend on the MD.  Don't erase any tracks.  It is too easy to screw that up.  Do your editing on the PC (eg., inside Sonicstage).

Aside from this annoyance, MD is great!

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline redbook

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 09:52:18 AM »
use wavmerge, it is a small and free program, really easy to use.

can't find a link now, try google, you'll easily find it

Offline TyBO

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 10:28:40 PM »
Wow... thanks for all the additional responses!

I managed to get everything to merge back together in Cool Edit Pro, so that worked out.

I tried the technique nameloc01 recommended, and unfortunately, I'm still getting track splits in my recordings... ah well.  I guess I'll be taking rspencer's and poorlyconditioned's advice about keeping levels high, and doing some editing on the MD player itself.  I'll look up wavmerge too, in case I ever need it.

You'd think Sony would've gotten enough complaints about this feature to make it optional in the newer models... oh well.  It was still a great bargain for a solid digital storage device.

Offline ledblimp

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 04:45:54 PM »

I managed to get everything to merge back together in Cool Edit Pro, so that worked out.

I tried the technique nameloc01 recommended, and unfortunately, I'm still getting track splits in my recordings... ah well.  I guess I'll be taking rspencer's and poorlyconditioned's advice about keeping levels high, and doing some editing on the MD player itself.  I'll look up wavmerge too, in case I ever need it.

You'd think Sony would've gotten enough complaints about this feature to make it optional in the newer models... oh well.  It was still a great bargain for a solid digital storage device.

Hey,

I've got the MZNF800 unit and it does the same thing but only on line in. Mic in I never had a prob with it. I would have to disagree with it doing it on quiet sections. Mine will do it at any given point. I recently did a show and got something like 160 splits. Other shows I've gotten like 7. Doesn't seem to be a ryhme or reason to it. Real pain in the ass to transfer to disc but got rid of clipping for me.

Ron

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 05:35:48 PM »

Hey,

I've got the MZNF800 unit and it does the same thing but only on line in. Mic in I never had a prob with it. I would have to disagree with it doing it on quiet sections. Mine will do it at any given point. I recently did a show and got something like 160 splits. Other shows I've gotten like 7. Doesn't seem to be a ryhme or reason to it. Real pain in the ass to transfer to disc but got rid of clipping for me.

Ron

As I said earlier in the thread, just edit/remove on your minidisc itself.  I guess you might get repetitive strain injury or something, but maybe up to 50 tracks is possible.  Much easier than doing it on the computer.  Also, transfer of one big file from MD>PC will be *much* faster than a bunch of little ones.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.125 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com