Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M audio Mobile pre Newb  (Read 1745 times)

Offline tthcore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
M audio Mobile pre Newb
« on: February 25, 2006, 11:24:00 AM »
Total newbness... I have a mobile pre i use for home recording and such.  Could i use that as a pre when i'm taping at a show, i'm getting a MiniDisc reocrder to record? Would that set up work? What kind of battery do i need to power the Pre?  Would i still be able to use the phantom power?  thanks....

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
Re: M audio Mobile pre Newb
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 01:18:43 PM »
From the looks of the rear panel it appears the only way to power this is through the USB port.  I don't have any experience with this pre but it appears it may only work when hooked up to a computer.  now if you could figure how to power the thing through the usb port with out a computer than it does appear possible to use it.  ideally you want a pre with a optical digital out, so you could run digi in on the md, but you can also run line in on the md and the pre in question has both 1/8 inch line out and 1/4 inch line outs.  The MD in question has a 1/8 line in and mini optical in on the same port......since it is my md you buying.

I suggest you look at soundprofessional

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-PREAMP

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-CMC-4

This is the set up I started with.  It will get your feet wet in the taping scene.  If you don't like it everything has a good resale value, especially the mics and pre.
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 03:13:40 PM »
From the looks of the rear panel it appears the only way to power this is through the USB port.  I don't have any experience with this pre but it appears it may only work when hooked up to a computer.  now if you could figure how to power the thing through the usb port with out a computer than it does appear possible to use it.  ideally you want a pre with a optical digital out, so you could run digi in on the md, but you can also run line in on the md and the pre in question has both 1/8 inch line out and 1/4 inch line outs.  The MD in question has a 1/8 line in and mini optical in on the same port......since it is my md you buying.

I suggest you look at soundprofessional

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-PREAMP

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-CMC-4

This is the set up I started with.  It will get your feet wet in the taping scene.  If you don't like it everything has a good resale value, especially the mics and pre.

If you're brave enough to crack the case, I'd love to see photos of the insides of this thing!  In particular, what is the preamp and phantom power supply.

As far as using standalone, you've got two problems.  One is powering it.  That is easy, just put +5V on two wires of the USB connector (not sure which though!)  The bigger problem is getting it to route analog in (mic) to analog out.  I don't know if this could be done, eg., by hotwiring the insides.  And, there is no digital output, so that does not look possible.

Anyway, pics if you got them :)

Thanks,
  Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline shruggy1987

• Taperssection Member
  • Team Ithaca
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 07:27:48 AM »
i run an M-Audio FW 410, which has a few more features that the mobile pre, but its the same idea (and it has a FW connection).  they will NOT operate as standalone units (must be controlled by computer), which sucks, but when recording with my laptop I take home some very nice recordings.  hope this helps.

Total newbness... I have a mobile pre i use for home recording and such.  Could i use that as a pre when i'm taping at a show, i'm getting a MiniDisc reocrder to record? Would that set up work? What kind of battery do i need to power the Pre?  Would i still be able to use the phantom power?  thanks....
SP LSD2 > bm2 UA-5 (coax out) > M-Audio Microtrack
SP LSD2 > bm2 UA-5 > MacBook Pro

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com