Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: n00b alert - Some Advice Please!  (Read 5636 times)

Offline Semayat

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Reggae Taper
    • Reggae live
Re: n00b alert - Some Advice Please!
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2007, 07:49:15 AM »
The SP-CMC2 (AT 831) are pretty darn small.  I run them open and have been pretty happy with the results.  The nice thing about the AT831 is you can replace the caps with omni, sub cards, or hypers.  The AT853 caps screw right on (I've been told.)

I am 100% sure you can't change AT831's caps....I have them and these are fixed...are you sure your mics are the 831's?? more likely the 853 or 943....

My favorite rig so far is : AT831's>SP SPSB-1>iHP-120
I've tried STC-11 mics along with preamp ; Zoom H2, sony MDs recorders, and the most reliable stuff is the one above, believe me : great sound, fast transfer on pc are my factors of decision.

Semayat
Selling : SP CMC-2, SP SPSB-1

Taping rig :
Mics : SP CMC-4 (AT853's)
Preamp : CA9100 (V3.2)
Recorder : Ihp-120, H2

Offline 3-Fan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2007, 09:51:12 AM »
I am 100% sure you can't change AT831's caps....I have them and these are fixed...are you sure your mics are the 831's?? more likely the 853 or 943

Unless Sound Professionals sent me the wrong mics, mine are SP CMC-2 or AT 831 and my caps 100% screw off.  Chris at SP told me the 853 caps fit the 831 without issue.  The 853 caps are larger, but the threads line up just fine.

Here are some others who can verify this:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=74420.0
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,43246.0.html

AT853 > Church 9100 3 wire w/ mini XLR and switchable 4.7K mod > Edirol R-09HR

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2007, 12:10:27 PM »
^ I'll verify this as well.  I no longer have the email from Chris at Sound Pro's but I asked him directly and he replied that, indeed, I could switch caps on my 831's.  It looked like a fixed capsule to me, too, but after receiving verification from Chris I tried unscrewing my caps, and sure enough, no problems...
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline Semayat

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Reggae Taper
    • Reggae live
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2007, 04:33:16 PM »
I am 100% sure you can't change AT831's caps....I have them and these are fixed...are you sure your mics are the 831's?? more likely the 853 or 943

Unless Sound Professionals sent me the wrong mics, mine are SP CMC-2 or AT 831 and my caps 100% screw off.  Chris at SP told me the 853 caps fit the 831 without issue.  The 853 caps are larger, but the threads line up just fine.

Here are some others who can verify this:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=74420.0
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,43246.0.html

Come on!! That's crazy  ;D ;D
I was sure the caps were fixed!! i have to check this out tomorrow...

Semayat
Selling : SP CMC-2, SP SPSB-1

Taping rig :
Mics : SP CMC-4 (AT853's)
Preamp : CA9100 (V3.2)
Recorder : Ihp-120, H2

Offline goldenbreast

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2007, 02:38:16 PM »
Hi guys

After decades of gig-going, I have decided to try my hand at taping, therefore some advice would be greatly appreciated. I see that this forum is pretty well broken up into sections, but I'm hoping much of this can stay here as a general query.

I guess I would be likely to tape rock bands in the main, and stealth taping the most likely option (Glasgow venues). Budget? Well I saw the Edirol R09 (which is £200 - £250 UK pounds) and think that will be my max budget for a recorder. I am aware that external mics / pre / batt box may be required, so I would not hope to be paying anywhere near £500 total rig cost, as if I get serious about taping, I can always invest more then.

Questions: -

1) Given that I see the Edirol R09 as being a popular choice, is there much competition in it's price range.

2) Mics / Pre / Battery Box - what kind of options are there for me considering my budget / stealth taping / etc. Not so much brands, but exactly what I should be using? Do I need a pre if I have a battery box, etc. What will be suitable for an Edirol or alternative?

3) With regard to mics and equipment, I realise that this is a US based forum with many US suppliers. It would probably be easier if I could purchase in the UK. Is there anyone selling similar gear here in the UK? I do know though, that a lot of UK guys buy from the US - it's just that shipping tax and duty can put a premium on the face price.

I can ask specific questions in the other sections, but any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks!

Rod

hi rod

i spent around £150 on the church audio cardiods, 9100 pre-amp and croakie mount. item was dispatched quickly from canada. i ended up paying £39 for import tax/VAT/parcel force fees which was less than i was expecting. havent tested the gear out yet apart from picking sound up from my home stereo (which sounded very clean and punchy)

Alex

Offline jamroom

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2007, 04:54:14 PM »
hi rod

i spent around £150 on the church audio cardiods, 9100 pre-amp and croakie mount. item was dispatched quickly from canada. i ended up paying £39 for import tax/VAT/parcel force fees which was less than i was expecting. havent tested the gear out yet apart from picking sound up from my home stereo (which sounded very clean and punchy)

Alex

lol. The folks you bump into online. :-)

What's your recorder, mate?

Seems like the CA stuff is a strong bet. I'm just trying to justify the expenditure to myself at the moment. It's not like I go to loads of gigs and I'm sure a few will be discounted because of security. I guess I'll end up clicking "buy" buttons when I've had a few and that will be that. :-)

Offline goldenbreast

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2007, 06:25:44 AM »
i have a sony mz-r55 md player, its probably not the best out there but at the time it set me back around £200.

Offline jamroom

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2007, 01:56:58 PM »
I have to say that I heard a Johnny Winter show recorded using the R09 using it's own internal mic and apart from being a bit bass boomy (possibly the venue?), it sounds really good. What extra does a good external mic bring to the party? Not a doubting question, more one of quantifying the difference.

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=171137

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com