Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Question about in-ear monitors and headphone taps/amps  (Read 1818 times)

Offline willyjbrown

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Question about in-ear monitors and headphone taps/amps
« on: January 19, 2008, 10:42:01 PM »
This will probably get moved as I'm not sure where to post this question. I know it's not about recording either, but everyone here has given tremendous help for all of my questions before, so I figured someone here could help me out.

I'm a drummer and I just picked up some Shure E3 in-ear monitors. I want to use them live obviously. I need something that I can use to regulate the volume in my ears. I know the basic stuff about headphone taps vs. headphone amps, and passive/line vs. active/powered signals. Ideally I would like something that I can use for either situation, because I believe that with the places I play and will be playing, it's really a toss-up as to whether their floor wedge drum monitors are powered or not. I also know that if I need anything special or something different from the norm from a soundman, well most of them wouldn't really be willing to help.

I know an amp wouldn't help me with an active/powered signal, but would a tap help me with a passive/line signal? The taps are passive devices, so would the line signal be strong enough to at least let me regulate my volume? If so, sounds like the tap would work for me. If not....well, I'd really hate to have to buy two separate pieces to ultimately do the same thing. I guess more venues use passive speakers for floor wedge drum monitors, but I could be wrong.

Thank you in advance for the help!

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
Re: Question about in-ear monitors and headphone taps/amps
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 12:43:08 PM »
I used to use IEMs while drumming. In fact, I started out with E3s also. I used a Rolls headphone amp to power them. Just get a line level signal of the drum mix from the board and you're good to go. Most of the time I'd just send it back through the snake (there should be plenty of 1/4" lines available). I never had to convert a powered signal into a line level signal, so I'm afraid you're on your own there.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 12:54:43 PM »
for the sake of your ears, make sure there is some sort of limiting or compression in line!
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 01:12:05 PM »
for the sake of your ears, make sure there is some sort of limiting or compression in line!

WHAT?

:P
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 03:57:02 PM »

WHAT?

:P

there, i compressed it for you
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com