Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Deity PR-2 Pocket Recorder  (Read 25178 times)

Offline jielkade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Deity PR-2 Pocket Recorder
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2023, 03:49:31 AM »
Competition:

- https://lectrosonics.com/spdr-stereo-personal-digital-recorder.html

- Tentacle: not yet

Offline grawk

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sonosax minir82/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2023, 08:43:38 AM »
the DPA D:VICE is so small it fits into my coin compartment of my wallet - nobody will ever check that.  super easy so smuggle in.
also you do not need to hide your phone, it raises no suspicion when looking at it and the phones battery lasts for hours for recording 24 bit.
here you will have an extra device with alcaline batteries (that can be connected remotely to - your phone).
unless the recording quality isnt muuuuch better than the DPA D:VICE i don't think this is much of a progress for stealth taping?

This recorder is 32 bit with 5v plug in power. I could plug my 4061s straight in and easily have the entire rig self-contained with no wires to show and no real need to check levels.

Sounds like a win to me.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline jielkade

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2023, 10:51:27 AM »
You can also use the new version of the Sonosax sx-m2d2 "electret".

Offline hedfro

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2023, 01:24:46 PM »
Tascam DR-40X, Tascam DR-2D, Roland R-07.
CA-14 Cards (4.7), SP-CMC-4U-Phantom, SP-CMC-4U (4.7) (AT 853 O, C), Sennheiser ME-104, Sennheiser ME-102, Line Audio OM1, Line Audio CM4.

Offline kindms

• Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2023, 03:40:26 PM »
You can also use the new version of the Sonosax sx-m2d2 "electret".

new version ?

i love my current
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline robgronotte

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2023, 05:22:04 PM »
Does anyone know what the "locking" 3.5mm stereo mic / stereo line input means?

Also, I don't know what 24 or 32 bit "float" means, although I imagine it's discussed somewhere on this board - any brief explanation or link would be appreciated.

Offline kindms

• Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2023, 06:33:44 PM »

Also, I don't know what 24 or 32 bit "float" means, although I imagine it's discussed somewhere on this board - any brief explanation or link would be appreciated.

it means the jack is threaded so you can screw down on it if you have that locking nut

24 bit v 32 bit float are different bit depths in recording. 32bit float is newer and can give you more room. thats a quick and dirty. there is a dedicated thread for it if i recall
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline robgronotte

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2023, 09:40:12 PM »

it means the jack is threaded so you can screw down on it if you have that locking nut

24 bit v 32 bit float are different bit depths in recording. 32bit float is newer and can give you more room. thats a quick and dirty. there is a dedicated thread for it if i recall

So you think any microphone with an 1/8" male plug could be locked in so it wouldn't accidentally come out when in use?  If so, that would be a very good feature, but I've never heard of such a thing.

I know what 24 and 32 bit mean, just had never heard of this "float" until very recently and don't know what that really means.

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2023, 09:51:48 PM »
So you think any microphone with an 1/8" male plug could be locked in so it wouldn't accidentally come out when in use?  If so, that would be a very good feature, but I've never heard of such a thing.
No, the plug has to be threaded as well. They're mostly common in wireless beltpacks. I'm not even sure if the different manufacturers all use the same one.

DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline unidentified

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2023, 10:07:33 PM »
"I know what 24 and 32 bit mean, just had never heard of this "float" until very recently and don't know what that really means."

It means you never have to set gain levels again.   

"To put it in perspective, 16-bit audio is capable of recording sound with a dynamic range of up to 96.3 decibels. 24-bit audio recordings can capture a dynamic range of up to 144.5 dB. Meanwhile, 32-bit float audio can capture the absolutely ludicrous range of up to 1,528 dB. That’s not only massively beyond the scope of 24-bit audio, but it’s beyond the scale of what even counts as a sound on Earth."  https://www.wired.com/story/32-bit-float-audio-explained/

« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 10:13:56 PM by unidentified »

Offline weroflu

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2023, 06:41:23 AM »
is the electret  sx-m2d2 option an either / or with phantom or can you switch back and forth easily?

Offline jielkade

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2023, 06:37:09 PM »
ask mr.SAX

Offline 2X2

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2023, 08:27:22 AM »
"I know what 24 and 32 bit mean, just had never heard of this "float" until very recently and don't know what that really means."

"To put it in perspective, 16-bit audio is capable of recording sound with a dynamic range of up to 96.3 decibels. 24-bit audio recordings can capture a dynamic range of up to 144.5 dB. Meanwhile, 32-bit float audio can capture the absolutely ludicrous range of up to 1,528 dB. That’s not only massively beyond the scope of 24-bit audio, but it’s beyond the scale of what even counts as a sound on Earth."  https://www.wired.com/story/32-bit-float-audio-explained/

32-bit float is indeed a useful improvement but not the massive savior it is made out to be. 1528 dB of digital resolution is really not "massively beyond the scope of 24-bit audio" which has 144dB of resolution, as there does not exist an analog source with more than about 130dB of dynamic range, in theory. In reality, any live concert recording, even a SBD, has a dynamic range of around 100 dB at best, so the advantages over the common 24-bit interfaces, with levels set conservatively, are limited. Audience recordings are more like 70 dB dynamic range with the ambient crowd noise

Offline unidentified

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2023, 10:01:56 AM »

32-bit float is indeed a useful improvement but not the massive savior it is made out to be. 1528 dB of digital resolution is really not "massively beyond the scope of 24-bit audio" which has 144dB of resolution, as there does not exist an analog source with more than about 130dB of dynamic range, in theory. In reality, any live concert recording, even a SBD, has a dynamic range of around 100 dB at best, so the advantages over the common 24-bit interfaces, with levels set conservatively, are limited. Audience recordings are more like 70 dB dynamic range with the ambient crowd noise

True that, but my F3 has already saved my bacon twice when the music took a sudden and dramatic increase in volume, as opposed to the case with the Sony PCM M10 that I was using on a different rig.  The F3 also means that I do not even have to think about what a conservative setting might be at a show of improvised music with a wide dynamic range in a small room. Live recording is stressful enough, so even limited improvements in the number of things to think about can be welcome.   
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 10:36:50 AM by unidentified »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com