Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: digital transfer from legacy MD format (non-NETMD or HIMD) to PC  (Read 3811 times)

Offline lushka

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Hey Guys,

Can anyone provide advice on how to transfer old MD master recordings to PC digitally?

Thanks

Offline nassau73

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: digital transfer from legacy MD format (non-NETMD or HIMD) to PC
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 12:49:13 PM »
It's been years since I worked with mini disc recordings so I don't recall the exact steps.

I do recall having to copy the files from a sony MD recorder to the PC using the sony sonic stage software and then converting with the sony wav converter.

Both can apparently still be downloaded.
https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00027173

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 01:56:03 PM »
You needed the Sony RH-1 or MZ-200 do this with sonic stage as i recall.RH-1s still go for alot on ebay.When i sold mine i got more than i originally paid for it.

I'm sure there are other methods of course.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 01:58:12 PM »
Can anyone provide advice on how to transfer old MD master recordings to PC digitally?
Generally, the method would be to use a MD player with digital output and running that into a digital solid state recorder with digital input connection of the same type as the MD player. That is, S/Pdif coaxial or perhaps optical digital "Toslink."
Do you have a MD player with digital output?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 01:04:16 PM »
 I do this using a full size Sony MD player (model MDS302) with optical output > optical to coaxial converter > coax input on an Sound Devices USBPre > usb to Wavelab6 to record in real time.

You could accomplish the same thing using a recorder with digital input if you don't want to tie up your computer then transfer the recorded files to your computer for editing later.

Digital out is best to avoid unnecessary A/D or D/A steps but there's nothing wrong with an analog transfer if its what you got to work with. Line out of playback deck to line in of recorder or interface/computer.

Coaxial digital output seems sorta rare on MD decks. There's several Sony models and a couple of Denon and Tascam models that both have it but I don't see them up for sale very often. Easier IMO to get a deck with optical SPDIF out and use a converter to the more common coaxial input found on recording decks and interfaces.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 01:15:04 PM by goodcooker »
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline hoserama

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 10:46:01 AM »
You needed the Sony RH-1 or MZ-200 do this with sonic stage as i recall.RH-1s still go for alot on ebay.When i sold mine i got more than i originally paid for it.

I'm sure there are other methods of course.

RH1 is likely still the best option. Full quick transfer via USB, and then converts the ATRAC to WAV on the computer. I've always wondered if the conversion from ATRAC to PCM audio was better via sonic stage or the hardware conversion on some of the MD decks with digital outs.

Still hung onto my RH1 just in case I ever needed to do transfers again. No idea if sonic stage works on more recent windows OS though.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline taper420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 02:13:52 AM »
RH1 is definitely the preferred method. You can get the original unconverted floating point ATRAC file that way and even play it in VLC, or choose from a number of conversion options with ffmpeg. Pretty sure sonicstage is no longer working on Windows 10, but there's a group of coders that put something together called QHImdTransfer, I believe it runs across windows, mac, and linux systems, and the latest version will copy old ATRAC files using the RH1. Using the digital out method is very time consuming and you are locking yourself to a fixed bit format rather than having the original file that can convert to any format of choosing at a later time (some of the machines with digital outs let you choose 16, 20, or 24 bit output, so there is data there beyond 16 bit fixed PCM, which is what sonicstage converts to, and what you get from a digi out).

If it's only a few discs I can do them for you no problem, if it's more than a few, let's talk.

Offline hoserama

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 12:47:21 PM »
Nice find on QHImdTransfer! I wasn't aware of that. Maybe I'll dig up my RH1 and get it up and running.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline lushka

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2020, 11:20:45 AM »
Thank you, Guys, for your input.

Offline pillowman

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.openingtime.lima-city.de
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2020, 11:31:26 AM »
because the RH-1 is still way to expensive I went on this route:

MD SP Master > Sony MDS-JB940 > optical cable > Philips CDR570 > EAC > WAV > HD  [pillowman]

just use rewritable CD-Rs to save some cash
the MASTER MD's are also 74' and 80' min. long so going with 80' min. rewritable CD-R's always works  :yahoo:
probably a bit timeconsuming but at the end it work ... at least for me ...

pillowman
RECORDERS: Sony PCM-A10 / 3x Sony PCM-M10 / TASCAM DR-2d / Sony NH 600 / Sharp MD-MT180(H) / Sony MZ-R35
MICS: LINE AUDIO CM3, AT853c, ATU853c, hc  (4.7k mod) / Sony ECM-717 / 3x Sennheiser ME104
BBox's: Denecke PS-2 / SP-SPSB-9 / SP-SPSB-10 / SP-SPSB-20 / Soundman A3

trading page: www.openingtime.lima-city.de

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2021, 07:53:44 AM »
Nice find on QHImdTransfer! I wasn't aware of that. Maybe I'll dig up my RH1 and get it up and running.

Did anyone try Platinum-MD by Gavin Benda? Supposedly better support for RH1 on Windows.
It's still a beta, but lots of interesting discussion going on here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/minidiscgroup
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline taper420

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2021, 05:45:25 PM »

Did anyone try Platinum-MD by Gavin Benda? Supposedly better support for RH1 on Windows.
It's still a beta, but lots of interesting discussion going on here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/minidiscgroup

Thanks for the heads up on this... not just for Windows, versions for Mac and Linux, too. Based on the same core as QHImdTransfer but less clunky and slicker GUI. Unfortunately my RH1 is going to take more than a few minutes to locate, so haven't tested it yet. It appears that it is targeted to NetMD devices for transferring to the unit from a computer, as that was an active area of development that fell short when the linux md project crept to a crawl, years ago. HiMD compatibility is a very recent addition to Platinum-MD, with warnings that it could corrupt your disc. There isn't much testing on HiMD devices because, as they put it, "you have to be an oil baron to own one these days." So I would probably stick with QHImd for anything other than testing, for HiMD transfers. But I don't really transfer HiMD anymore... I think most if not all of my PCM HiMD discs have already been transferred, tracked, and transmitted. Yet nearly 15 years after acquiring the RH1, I still have troves of ATRAC SP discs left from me and my buddy taping in the early aughts. ATRAC compression aside, with the inexperience and entry-level gear we were using back then, most probably aren't worth the effort.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com