Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Sound Devices MixPre II-series coming?  (Read 88134 times)

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: New Sound Devices MixPre II-series coming?
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2019, 11:51:44 PM »
For me, the benefit of this upgrade would to be able to stop guessing. Just set the levels hot in 32bit and truly finally forget it. Who cares if the levels are in the red most of the show. You can just normalize later and it’s all good.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2019, 01:05:03 AM »
iOS App Store just pushed me Wingman 4.0, compatible with the MixpreII series.

Also I note that the MixPre originals including the M models have been moved to the Discontinued Items page on the SD website.
https://www.sounddevices.com/discontinued-products/
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Amir

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2019, 02:15:24 AM »
Also I note that the MixPre originals including the M models have been moved to the Discontinued Items page on the SD website.
https://www.sounddevices.com/discontinued-products/
Interesting. I was about to purchase the original MixPre-6 and was even looking into the possibility of purchasing the 6M, but now will take a stab at the MixPre-6 II. So glad I waited for a short while.

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2019, 02:19:34 AM »
I thought about you and was going to ask. :)
Got to feel great that you waited!

Interesting. I was about to purchase the original MixPre-6 and was even looking into the possibility of purchasing the 6M, but now will take a stab at the MixPre-6 II. So glad I waited for a short while.

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2019, 04:31:46 AM »
I thought about you and was going to ask. :)
Got to feel great that you waited!
Oh -- thanks! So kind of you. I do count on the new MixPre-6 II to give our live broadcast experience a serious boost.
One thing which is still more of an unknown to me is the fact that the new MixPre II line apparently supports recording to flash memory. Does it mean that we can simultaneously record to both a memory card and a flash memory? Or which USB slot does the new flash memory support occupy? Maybe I'm totally wrong regarding all of this. :)
Thanks.

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2019, 04:40:36 AM »
With the copy function to USB thumb drive you can let the MixPre automatically copy the current project’s recorded files to it.
Or you could manually trigger the copy process of the current project’s recorded files to it.

I have not seen anything that hints of a parallel or dual record function.
So you can not add a USB Drive to it and automatically get a parallel second source recording of the main recording.
It is a simple file duplication feature from internal SD card to externally mounted USB memory stick.

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2019, 05:12:35 AM »
With the copy function to USB thumb drive you can let the MixPre automatically copy the current project’s recorded files to it.
Or you could manually trigger the copy process of the current project’s recorded files to it.

I have not seen anything that hints of a parallel or dual record function.
So you can not add a USB Drive to it and automatically get a parallel second source recording of the main recording.
It is a simple file duplication feature from internal SD card to externally mounted USB memory stick.
Thanks for the clarification. I got it.

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2019, 09:59:08 AM »
Although toy can use an iOS device connected with lightning to usb-a and record the stereo track onto the iOS while recording in the mixpre. Perhaps even the iso tracks but don’t take that for granted.
But you will lose the control surface function instead.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2019, 10:33:22 AM »
Q about 32 bit float:

is recording 'over zero' and then shifting peaks down to 0dB in post, the functional equivalent of "shifing bits" with conventional 16-or 24 bit fixed point, where you just shift in 6 dB steps without altering/interpolating the actual data and creating distortion?

this would be an advantage i suppose - "distortionless normalization"
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline mjwin

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2019, 01:31:29 PM »
Q about 32 bit float:

is recording 'over zero' and then shifting peaks down to 0dB in post, the functional equivalent of "shifing bits" with conventional 16-or 24 bit fixed point, where you just shift in 6 dB steps without altering/interpolating the actual data and creating distortion?

this would be an advantage i suppose - "distortionless normalization"

It's not quite such a blunt tool as the adjustment steps are much finer. But, ultimately, any "quality" issues are related entirely to your DAW. 

Most DAWs carry out all internal opertion in 32bit float, anyway,  so the imported SD file should drop right in without any conversion. Then you can either do a "gain change" operation, changing the level by the desired amount, or use the master level sliders if they're available.

It's a nice feature, and gives peace of mind when you suddenly see the meters go " :banging head: ". The wall's no longer there!

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2019, 01:57:13 PM »
...But you will lose the control surface function instead.
Can you plug into a USB hub that allows both to function simultaneously?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2019, 01:13:50 AM »
In an earlier post you asked about channel linking and I told you you could only link 1-2 and 3-4.
But I was wrong.

You can actually link four channels, 1-4.
If System itself is set to Advanced or set to Custom and Channel is set to Advance.
Then you can push Channel 1 knob, Tap page 2 and Tap Linking and there select 1-3 or 1-4.

I totally missed that myself.

Thanks for the clarification. I got it.

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2019, 01:19:39 AM »
In an earlier post you asked about channel linking and I told you you could only link 1-2 and 3-4.
But I was wrong.

You can actually link four channels, 1-4.
If System itself is set to Advanced or set to Custom and Channel is set to Advance.
Then you can push Channel 1 knob, Tap page 2 and Tap Linking and there select 1-3 or 1-4.

I totally missed that myself.
Wow, fantastic! So I can link 3 channels connected to 3 mics and then mix them with channel 4 which is dedicated to the music coming from my laptop. Very impressive for such a small device, and quite useful with a device which is known to most people as a recorder.
Thanks for looking into that on my behalf.

Best,
Amir

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2019, 01:31:32 AM »
BTW only Korg NanoKontrol 2 Interface and Korg NanoKontrol Studio Interface are available here from the list of MixPre's supported controller list. Are they tactile and feature-rich enough for use with the MixPre-6 II? The latter is more expensive, but which one do you recommend?

Offline borjam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2019, 05:51:18 AM »
What I remain to be convinced of is that 32bit floating point somehow improves "resolution" of low level signals through the A>D conversion.  This claim seems to contradict Nyquist–Shannon sampling theorem.
Not at all. There are two different variables affecting audio sampling.

1) Sampling frequency: Nyquist-Shannon deal with it. The sampling frequency limits the bandwidth of the audio signal we can sample and reconstruct failthfully. In the simlpe case(*), the maximum audio frequency we can represent.

Note that Nyquist-Shannon don't deal with the number of bits of the sampling. Actually what they say can be applied to an ideal, analog sampling system in which you are not quantizying the signal to a distrete number.

2) Resulution. That's the number of bits. It doesn't affect the signal bandwidth, but it's signal to noise ratio. When you have a poor resolution, your reconstructed signal will have "steps" which means a kind of noise will appear: quantization noise.

So, both analog and digital systems have a noise floor. In the case of digital systems that noise floor (ignoring of course the noise inherent to the analog stages like microphone, preamp, A/D converter, etc) is determined by the number of bits you are sampling.

The reason why you don't want to record with a level too low in a digital system is that. Low sounds will have a much better S/N ratio than the very quiet ones.

So, increasing the number of bits is beneficial because it will increase the S/N ratio. But it won´t affect the frequency response.

Using 32 bit floating point doesn't mean that you will get the full dynamic range of a 32 bit floating point number, of course, but it means that internal calculations won't overload the container (the simplest case would be making a stereo mix of the input channels while you are recording) and that in case you have a special A/D converter arrangement (like dual A/D converters or a higher precision A/D converter with a 32 bit sample format) you can effectively obtain a larger resolution and you can store it without the limitations of a 24 bit sample.

I hope it's more clear.  ;)

"Don't worry about the drums. I'm a percussionist, I can play on carton boxes" - Peer Wyboris

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com