Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Hello afrom Japan  (Read 2654 times)

Offline DYMS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Hello afrom Japan
« on: July 25, 2018, 11:12:09 AM »
Hello,
I wanted to take a quick moment to introduce myself to the forums.

I recently decided to start recording again. I used to record bands in my home studio, but the proliferation of inexpensive gear and an unwillingness to pay for time and space, as well as three growing children, forced me to close up shop. My attention turned to other hobbies, like photography, video, live music, and backpacking. Recently I have been making a number of training videos for the compang I work for, and have enjoyed learning more about the audio and sound side of video production.

As I approach a midlife birthday at the end of the month, I have started to think more about what my passion is, and I realize I have really missed recording, and that I should get back into it. I really enjoy going to Japanese indie shows, but also enjoy mountain camping. It seemed logical that location and live recording was  the next hobby for me :)

In my search for a field recording device, I discovered this forum.
After days of reading and listening, I looked at almost every possible solution...

First I considered a new Audio Interface for my computer or ipad, but soon decided it would be too bulky and would prevent me from taking out my gear in the first place.

Then I considered a Tascam D60, D70, D701, etc. I liked the idea of something I could also use for my video work, but the prices seemed like they were skimping on sound quality.

Then it was the Zooms. The H6 appealed to me because of the 6 channels, which means I could record simple bands if I wanted. But there were still reviews and comments that suggested that the sound was not up to par.

Then the Zoom f4, f8, f8n, and much of the stuff above it. So want! Wife suggested I not look at those any further :)

Finally my attention swung back to the simple two channel recorders.

So I ordered a Tascam DR100mkiii... A few hours later I cancelled the order because I realized I couldn't run a phantom and non-phantom mic at the same time, and maybe I needed more channels?

So I ordered a Zoom H6... And cancelled it after reading more reviews that the sound was too noisy for woodland field recording. I also had to be honest with myself. Just starting out, how many times would I need the extra channels? If I am going to need more than two
channels to record a band, I am going to need more than six. Can cross that bridge when I need to.

In the end, I decided to go back to the DR100mkiii because it seemed to be the best sounding device that is portable, quick to use, and in a price range that I and my family could accept. It arrives at some point today!

So the journey begins. I am sure I will be on here more and more with questions as I try to learn all about my new device and the art of field recording.

Thanks for reading, and as we say in Japan, Yoroshiku onegaishimasu.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Hello afrom Japan
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 01:17:52 PM »
In the end, I decided to go back to the DR100mkiii because it seemed to be the best sounding device that is portable, quick to use, and in a price range that I and my family could accept. It arrives at some point today!

Congrats on the new recorder.  While I don't have any first-hand experience with that one, every time I think about putting together a small two-channel rig that has phantom power the DR100mkiii is on the short list of recorders that come to mind.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline u2_fly_2

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 01:39:37 PM »
Welcome back to the taping world of concerts!
Soundprofessionals Audio Technica AT 943 (SP-CMC-8) External Stereo Microphones > SP-SPSB-10-80020
Sound Professionals Micro-mini microphone power supply with mini 12vdc battery and 24 inch hardwired output cable Soundprofessionals Batterybox >> Olympus Ls-10 Linear Recorder > 4 GB > 24 Bit / 48 Khz  > 24 Bit / 96 Khz

Zoom Q3 HD - 1080p / 96-24 Bit

Roland R-26 (96 / 24 Bit)

Sony PCM-D100 (192 / 24 Bit)

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 03:28:25 PM »
Welcome. 

There is the universal (which involves compromises) and the specialized (which hopefully resolves those compromises optimally for a limited subset of possibilities).  Most of us (here anyway!) end up with several rigs targeted toward specific uses. 

I suggest starting with what you will use most.  If it is indie bands and you're just audience recording without permission and without multichannels/board access that will suggest one set of options.  If it is nature sounds that may suggest a different set of options.  Some components may be good or even excellent for both, others maybe not.  Nature sounds will test your mics in one way (sensitivity and noise floor) while loud bands will test them another (max SPL).  The recorder is usually fairly neutral.  As recorders most of them don't seem noisy (at least not relative to the mics or preamps), though their internal mics have dramatically different characters and potentials if you're planning on using those. 

Starting out it seems best to get stuff you'll use often.  That gets you into the practice and provides your own baseline to evaluate your preferences and needs.  As long as you buy solid gear that's not the most expensive thing out there you should have room for changes as you get into it. 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 03:30:52 PM by bombdiggity »
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

ilduclo

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 03:48:57 PM »
There’s an awful lot of good Japanese musicians. I hope you can tape some and will share your results. I’m a big fan of Haino, Kawabata, KK Null, and that ilk

Offline kuba e

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 04:56:22 PM »
Welcome DYMS,

I am taping mostly live music and sometimes lectures. I think it might be good to start with two channels for live music. It is easy to setup and no big difficulties with post-processing. I started with two channels, one pair of mics with interchangeable caps omni and cards. You have possibilities with two mics to influence the result - location of mics, polar pattern of mics and post processing. Now I have multichannel recorder too. It gives me more possibilities, but it is not always necessary or possible to use it. And post processing for multiple channels is consuming more time. Audience recordings with one pair of mics are often great.

You will find here a lot of information about the recorders that you mentioned. Here are also a few posts about the ambience recording, but it is better to look through specialized forums too. This forum is specialized for live music taping.

I wish you a lot of great experiences with this beautiful hobby.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 05:07:10 PM by kuba e »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com