Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Roland R-88  (Read 23989 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Roland R-88
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2012, 01:20:48 AM »
3 channel stereo rocks!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

cashandkerouac

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2012, 10:16:35 PM »
3 channel stereo rocks!

8)  ^^^   8)

cashandkerouac

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2012, 04:58:27 PM »
the more i think about the R-88 the more i think i don't need it.   ???   ;D

i am almost never in situations where i need more than a stereo pair of mics.  i love my R-44, but i usually use it to run two stereo pairs.  i'm either comparing how two sets of mics perform in the same conditions or am running two pair because i can't decide which mics to use.  i really don't see myself running 6 or 8 mics unless i start doing the kind of stuff that Gutbucket does on a regular basis.  the R-44 is plenty of machine for doing the type of stuff that i do. 

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2012, 02:50:24 PM »
the more i think about the R-88 the more i think i don't need it.   ???   ;D

i am almost never in situations where i need more than a stereo pair of mics.  i love my R-44, but i usually use it to run two stereo pairs.  i'm either comparing how two sets of mics perform in the same conditions or am running two pair because i can't decide which mics to use.  i really don't see myself running 6 or 8 mics unless i start doing the kind of stuff that Gutbucket does on a regular basis.  the R-44 is plenty of machine for doing the type of stuff that i do. 

Yeah, but if you're running mics and patching SBDs, now you have two choices you didn't used to have. You can run stereo pair of mics and patch the stereo out of the SBD like you did with your R44, but now you can also run your mics while (1) patching the stereo outs of SBD plus nab 4 direct outs of SBD too, or (2) run your stereo pair plus patch six direct outs from the SBD. Hardly any more additional work, and only requires a few more cables, so for folks finding themselves in those situations with friendly FOH, that could be very useful.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 02:52:50 PM by BayTaynt3d »
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2012, 09:03:40 PM »
The price on audio recorders is something very peculiar IMO. I know there are different manufacturer and different R&D groups with different marketing strategies, but how is it the R-44 is now over a grand and the R-88 is $2500. Compare this to the Marantz PMD-661 which goes for $500-600, which as been in that same range as long as I have known about this recorder. The fostex FR-2LE can't sell for $275 here in the yard sale but it's $600 at B&H.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2013, 09:25:49 AM »
The price on audio recorders is something very peculiar IMO. I know there are different manufacturer and different R&D groups with different marketing strategies, but how is it the R-44 is now over a grand and the R-88 is $2500. Compare this to the Marantz PMD-661 which goes for $500-600, which as been in that same range as long as I have known about this recorder. The fostex FR-2LE can't sell for $275 here in the yard sale but it's $600 at B&H.

10 channels (every 2 channels is $500)
Mixing interface for 2 channel output
SMPTE timecode In/Out for video sync

Offline H₂O

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2013, 09:58:04 AM »

Price is based on features, quailty, brand, etc

I don't know why Roland increased the price of the r-44
I don't know why Sound Devices increased their prices either

But with it's feature set the R-88 has it's a great deal - but IMO the tascam hs-p82 is a better buy at $1k more

This product is angled at film/production mid range
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2013, 01:07:59 PM »
[quote author=H₂O link=topic=158021.msg2022820#msg2022820 date=1361199484

But with it's feature set the R-88 has it's a great deal - but IMO the tascam hs-p82 is a better buy at $1k more

This product is angled at film/production mid range
[/quote]

Why do you say the Tascam is a better buy for $1k more?  Just curious.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline H₂O

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2013, 04:04:13 PM »
Why do you say the Tascam is a better buy for $1k more?  Just curious.

• 8 digi-in(with selectable realtime sample rate conversion) - you can run AES42 mics into this unit with an external phantom supply
  • 8 digi-out
  • large adjustable color touch screen display (the R-88 is fixed and black and white)
  • Dual CF Card with mirroring and rollover support
  • very high quality pre amps with Gain in the Analog domain - don't know about the R-88 but if they are the same as the stock R-44 then they probably aren't as good
  • idiot proof interface - much better then the Sonosax, SD7xx series, etc (I have used all of these)
  • 5 seconds of pre-record buffer at all sampling rates and channels (no idea on the R-88)
  • I own one :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 08:06:57 PM by H₂O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2013, 05:25:41 PM »
I know these will eventually come down in price, but right now as an R44 owner it makes economic sense to buy a second R44 and a cable to slave them together.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2013, 12:10:29 PM »
I know these will eventually come down in price, but right now as an R44 owner it makes economic sense to buy a second R44 and a cable to slave them together.

Unless you connect them via SPDIF they will not be clock-synced, and when you do that directly between two R-44s you will only have 6 unique channels as opposed to 8.  In order to clock-sync all 8 channels you need to use another device like a USBPre.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2013, 12:24:25 PM »

Unless you connect them via SPDIF they will not be clock-synced, and when you do that directly between two R-44s you will only have 6 unique channels as opposed to 8.  In order to clock-sync all 8 channels you need to use another device like a USBPre.

walstib62 and I have synched up our R-44's many times, and can report that the clocks surely DO synch, only the machines start up at different times so you will have to shift the slave machine's starting point in post.

We have matrixed 8 channels many times.  I really see a second R-44 in my future.

As per the R-88, what the use is mixing on the machine when you can't adjust delay????
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2013, 10:13:00 PM »

walstib62 and I have synched up our R-44's many times, and can report that the clocks surely DO synch, only the machines start up at different times so you will have to shift the slave machine's starting point in post.

We have matrixed 8 channels many times.  I really see a second R-44 in my future.

This is where your field experience and mine will diverge.  I have also synced my R-44 many times with acidjack's as well as running tests with just a 1/8" TRS cable to master>slave them and they have NEVER clock-synced 8 (or 6) tracks unless we have connected the SPDIF either directly or through another device running as a master clock (a USBPre); I'm not talking about an analog patch, mind you.  I suppose this is one of those "YMMV" situations.  Pretty sure this may have also been addressed in the R-44 thread without any solid confirmation either way from Roland but I can't recall.

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2013, 04:40:34 AM »

This is where your field experience and mine will diverge.  I have also synced my R-44 many times with acidjack's as well as running tests with just a 1/8" TRS cable to master>slave them and they have NEVER clock-synced 8 (or 6) tracks unless we have connected the SPDIF either directly or through another device running as a master clock (a USBPre); I'm not talking about an analog patch, mind you.  I suppose this is one of those "YMMV" situations.  Pretty sure this may have also been addressed in the R-44 thread without any solid confirmation either way from Roland but I can't recall.

Damn, that sure is strange.

Tells me I better buy walstib62's machine, and get him another...!
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.217 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com