Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F3  (Read 67957 times)

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Return of the Shredi
Re: Zoom F3
« Reply #300 on: March 05, 2023, 01:30:26 PM »
Another view of the difficult connection, showing where maybe to pull out the connector next time.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline eman

• Return of the Shredi
« Reply #301 on: March 08, 2023, 05:23:26 PM »
I just had the idea that if I'm successful in getting the cover removed, to scan/measure it and print a modified version in ABS to keep the protection.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #302 on: March 09, 2023, 01:26:45 AM »
Wow.  A lot of work taking this apart.
I've been using one of these for a while.  I really like it.  Simple and reliable.
The noise floor is low and there appear to be no (noticeable) artifacts in the spectrum.

Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline gaijin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #303 on: March 19, 2023, 03:59:10 PM »
Thanks for sharing this teardown - very interesting!  Just around a year of ownership with this thing and it's proving to be my main  >:D go-to device. As I noted somewhere in this thread, I've got this thing into a Hancock show at the Kennedy Center with minimal trouble, so it's proven itself beyond useful, particularly for  >:D.

Offline unidentified

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #304 on: April 29, 2023, 09:55:32 AM »
Just bought an F3.  Recommendations regarding card capacity?  Does it really handle 1 TB cards well?  Thanks in advance for any guidance. 

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #305 on: April 29, 2023, 12:24:15 PM »
Just bought an F3.  Recommendations regarding card capacity?  Does it really handle 1 TB cards well?  Thanks in advance for any guidance.

I use a Sandisk 256GB card with no problems at all. I can't imagine a situation where I would need a 1TB card.

Offline eman

• Return of the Shredi
« Reply #306 on: May 17, 2023, 07:37:02 PM »
OK the latest episode of everyone's favorite fun game, burn $350! Anyway, hopefully that's not the outcome here but I think I've hit pay dirt. Now the question of what next.
I paid more attention to the flat cable this time. I tried to pull the connector out of the mic input board but gave up on that. Later, the traces pulled out of the connector and I pushed them back in, hopefully all is still good there. First photo.
Then, unscrew the usb connector. Second photo.
Slide switch in the orientation it needs to be for re-assembly. 3
Bluetooth plug out. 4
Screws that need to come out. The one in the middle does not, however there is one hidden to the left of the one in the lower left corner, that does need to be taken out. Also the two on the far side that are in the open and more obvious. 5
Now grab the black plastic case by the edges and lift out. Use care to keep the flat traces to the mic input card intact. 6
The buttons stick with the case, but are not fastened. They can be laid into the plastic case, need some way to hold these. 7
Behold the giant chunk of metal that we don't need. 8.
It can now be put back together with or without the frame/plate. You can see 9,10, what it will look like. I am leaning towards cutting off the heavy legs of the frame and re-assembling. Quick napkin calc shows this will reduce the weight from 3oz to 1oz of (what feels like) steel. If its aluminum then it would be 1oz down to 1/3 oz. But I'm thinking closer to a QP than a lid? So probably steel.

Next steps? Cut off the uprights to preserve the structural and electrical purposes of the case? 3D print in ABS or some plastic and use a foil lining?

I used the post office scale to weigh the frame. 5.3oz! OVER a quarter pound of steel protecting this bit of goodness.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 09:44:46 PM by eman »

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #307 on: May 18, 2023, 01:33:18 AM »
Keep going and think of what you'll charge us for the mod :)

Offline eman

• Return of the Shredi
« Reply #308 on: May 18, 2023, 07:04:22 PM »
Success! I went and got me a Dremel, finally. I think 57 is old enough to finally be the guy with the Dremel. Note the nickel plated screws go through to the metal, the zinc ones are for the internal stuff. The plastic trace is still the weak point of doing this and probably more attention could be paid to unplugging this before doing anything else to protect it. When I was done I realized I could still slide the legs back on, attached by the belt bars. I might be able to work out how to make this click into place for non-stealth situations. It is still a stout unit, but not the tank that it was.

Here's the final breakdown:
Complete cover and belt bars 5.3 oz
Legs and belt bars 4.3 oz
Recorder with modified face plate (minus batteries) 4.6 oz
By subtraction, the remaining face plate 1.0 oz
By addition, complete recorder 8.9 oz

So the legs constituted a full quarter pound of steel. Almost half of the weight of it. I had to break it down one more time as I missed a screw. I'm getting pretty quick with it, took like 15 minutes now that I know what I'm doing.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 10:51:21 PM by eman »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #309 on: May 19, 2023, 12:26:21 PM »
Nice work.  Congratulations, you now take possession of the Guy With A Dremel modification award trophy originally held by M0ke.

And have me scheming about the possibilities of similarly stealth-miniaturize modding an F6.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline ol' dirty taper

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've been riding with the ghost...
    • Ancient Earth
« Reply #310 on: May 19, 2023, 03:56:08 PM »
Eman

With the photos in your last post, does that mean one might be able to just cut the legs away and leave the top holding the screen in place?
Mic : Schoeps MK21 | Microtech Gefell M300 | Beyer MC950 MC930 MC910 CK930 | Line Audio OM1 | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-X Omni | Beyer TG L34C | AT831s
Pre : Aerco MP-2 | Naiant Littlebox
Deck : SD MixPre 10 II | SD MixPre 6 II | Sony PCM-A10 | Zoom F3
Pho/Vid : Sony a58 | Panasonic ZS100 | DJI Osmo Pocket

Offline eman

• Return of the Shredi
« Reply #311 on: May 19, 2023, 05:02:02 PM »
Eman
With the photos in your last post, does that mean one might be able to just cut the legs away and leave the top holding the screen in place?
Yes, I have mounted the remaining plate back which holds the buttons and LED lens in place with 4 mounting screws. Look at the photo of the back of the face plate to see the mount holes I cut around. I don't think you could do it without removing the frame from the recorder if that's what you mean. You would almost definitely eat into the plastic during cutting. Perhaps you are a Jedi master with the Dremel. Use the force. I measured all the features on the back before putting it back together, can give you the distance from the window to each hole.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 05:11:01 PM by eman »

Offline eman

• Return of the Shredi
« Reply #312 on: May 19, 2023, 05:17:57 PM »
Ready for action!
I'm travelling for work in a minute for the week, so won't be able to track out but here's the raw mp3
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1NwVzHvqzGhJW1Yqv73vikq14pVcEpb54?usp=share_link
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 02:15:57 PM by eman »

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #313 on: May 20, 2023, 12:35:50 PM »
Nice, can you share a concert somewhere. Would love to hear this combo!
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline 2X2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #314 on: June 11, 2023, 11:38:03 PM »
did a battery runtime test, with some fully charged nimh left to rest overnight

mics: schoeps cmc1 (2mA draw @ 48V)

wasnt paying super close attention, but it went from 2 bars to 1 bar on the battery meter somewhere between 3:40 and 4:05. zero bars/Low battery indication at 4:50, shutoff at 5:06. so like an hour on last bar and 15 minutes after low batt warning

seems more than adequate to set up and start recording well before the show, and roll straight through setbreak. of course not all P48 mics are that efficient

edit: subsequent tests i couldnt get much over 4 hours, in fact with different sets of ~2400-2600 ma batteries, all were between 3:50 and 4:10. I can only conclude i boned reading the clock and thought i gained an hour since i cant reproduce. 4 hours is tight so in an open situation i will be using a small usb battery and using the internal batteries as backup

when the battery indicator changed from 3>2, 2>1, 1>0 bars also had a huge range
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 06:28:55 AM by 2X2 »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.127 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com