Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: motherboard recommendations?  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
motherboard recommendations?
« on: March 25, 2004, 01:19:51 PM »
ok, i need to upgrade my home pc, it's slow and outdated (amd k6-2 500mhz).  i don't want to spend an exorbitant (sp) amount of money on a new system,, so i think i'll just replace the mobo and cpu and then reinstall a fresh version of windows....i like amd since they're cheaper but am not against going intel.
just asking if anyone has upgraded recently and knows of good deals, or has recommendations on certain brands to avoid or look for.
i have been browsing newegg and tigerdirect.com and have found some options, but any advice is welcome.
would like to get a package deal too if possible with mobo, cpu, power supply and maybe more shit.  i don't really need a case as i already have one.
thanks!
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
Re:motherboard recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 01:37:23 PM »
I too have been looking in to building a new system. I have been looking at many brands and features and I always seem to be spending the most time looking at ASUS boards. A lot of the guys I work with run them and all speak highly of them.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 01:45:01 PM »
also does anyone know of any really great mobo search tools?  like if i wanted to find one with amd socket a, firewire leads/ports and 400mhz fsb for example, a search engine that searches by features instead of just brand, price, etc.  the one on newegg is okay but not great.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 02:10:23 PM »
simp, you will also have to replace RAM and even possibly your power supply

the water's clean and innocent

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 02:48:45 PM »
yeah that's what i'm thinkin too, as far as getting a bundle is concerned.  maybe a barebones kit would be my best best on that.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 02:58:10 PM »
Simp barebones is probably best.  Then just pick up some RAM.  You can save money by going AMD instead of Intel but I'm sure you figured that out already.

Just some general advice to follow, no brand/models:

I'd strive to find a motherboard with less on board features the better, honestly, as most are crappy.  This is in regards mostly to video and audio on board.  Some do have decent to good built in NIC's but do some HW to see if it's a repuatible/trouble free one.  Anyways, most likely a PCI card will be a better solution (most definately in audio/video and probably in NIC/firewire/usb).  

I can say I never have had problems with onboard USB/Firewire but never seem to get those damn on board audio/video slots to work.

http://www.pricewatch.com has the ability to search for certain Motherboard Combos, which you might find helpful in getting a good deal on CPU/Mobo together.

You'll see more of an impact in performance by upgrading the memory then the processor.  What I mean is that if you are looking between a 1.5GHz processor w/512meg of RAM or a 2.0GHz w/128megs, the 1.5GHz processor computer would probably feel like a faster machine.  So perhaps consider that when comparing close processors, save some of that money for more RAM later.   Of course, this applies to those with the same FSB/cache/etc.  

Ack, sorry for the length.. forgot something.  Don't forget to check out reviews pertaining to the chipsets your looking at.  There is some difference in terms of performance when you compare SiS chipsets to VIA--I've heard good things about the nForce2.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 03:02:43 PM by npsinboro »
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2004, 04:13:21 PM »
motherboards for AMD...find a board with the Nvidia nforce 2 chipsets.
decent video(geforce2), audio and good ethernet ports are onboard and for a decent price

the water's clean and innocent

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2004, 04:39:38 PM »
Soyo DRAGON series boards are nice, I've mentioned them in the past. One notable feature is the onboard audio chip is a CMI 3667 (could be wrong on the chip #), which is the same one used on Zoltrix Nightengale boards - bit perfect xfers via the included SPDIF interface...
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2004, 05:08:19 PM »
Soyo's are definitely the best.  Got mine back when I was running a PC, a Soyo Dragon Plus.

Would you be interested in buying used?  I'm not using my PC at all anymore.  It can support Athlon XP's (although it has a Thunderbird 1.4 in it right now).  PM me if you want...
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2004, 05:49:08 PM »
John, if Simp's not interested, drop me a PM if you'd still like to get rid of it..  I have an empty case sitting here and could use a print server since my laser jet isn't supported by linux.  No big deal tho... tx.
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline fozzy

• move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2004, 09:02:33 PM »
Go to mwave.com and get a barebones system or just a motherboard/ram combo.  For $9 they will test you motherboad/ram.  I have purchased 20+ systems from them over the years for friends and family and myself.  They also have prices very close to the best you can find on pricewatch.
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2004, 01:44:19 PM »
I've got a Gigabyte board that I am really happy w/.  Has a ton of expansion slots, 4 IDE channels, onboard LAN, etc....

mitch
Oade preamp museum curator

Offline teamakg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2004, 06:53:38 PM »
avoid MSI boards at all costs.  we lose about 1 a week at work.  so glad we buy hp pc's now.

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2004, 10:19:38 PM »
add FIC to that list. ^
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com