Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recommended USB-C Power Noise Filter for Zoom F3?  (Read 1467 times)

Offline sdbirder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Recommended USB-C Power Noise Filter for Zoom F3?
« on: September 09, 2023, 01:30:41 PM »
I've noticed consistent noise in my spectrograms at 50 kHz when using the USB-C port to power my Zoom F3. This noise disappears when I record using AA batteries. Does anyone have recommendations for effective USB noise filters, preferably USB-C compatible?

I'm recording lengthy sessions of migrating nocturnal birds and need external power for 8+ hour sessions. Normally, the noise at 50 kHz wouldn't be a concern, but I do occasionally capture bats in that frequency range, making the noise problematic.

Edit: Problem solved, I used a different USB-C cable, a Cable Matters, [USB-IF Certified] USB4 Cable (40Gbps). Amplified to -0db to confirm and it's gone, not a trace. I think it's due to the better shielding on the premium cable.
https://www.cablematters.com/pc-1371-188-usb-if-certified-usb4-cable-40gbps-with-power-delivery.aspx
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 04:04:26 PM by sdbirder »

Offline BlueSky71

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Recommended USB-C Power Noise Filter for Zoom F3?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2023, 03:32:31 PM »
I am assuming that you are using an AC transformer? Can you just used a large usb battery?

Offline sdbirder

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2023, 03:49:15 PM »
I am assuming that you are using an AC transformer? Can you just used a large usb battery?

I've tried 2 wall usb AC chargers and 3 different usb battery banks and it still occurs.

Offline BlueSky71

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2023, 05:20:09 PM »
I would talk to zoom? Does it occur on other recorders as well. Most aren't paying attention to frequencies we cant hear within reason.

Offline sdbirder

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2023, 07:54:14 PM »
Problem solved, I used a different USB-C cable, a Cable Matters, [USB-IF Certified] USB4 Cable (40Gbps). Amplified to -0db to confirm and it's gone, not a trace. I think it's due to the better shielding on the premium cable.
https://www.cablematters.com/pc-1371-188-usb-if-certified-usb4-cable-40gbps-with-power-delivery.aspx

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.18 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com