Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Scored 2 sets of speakers at the thift store today.  (Read 2697 times)

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Qualified
Scored 2 sets of speakers at the thift store today.
« on: December 15, 2007, 03:17:13 PM »
Bose Interaudio SA300 and an Advent model that looks to be 15 - 20 years old (no model # listed), both pairs for $18. They have 6.5" and 8" woofers respectively, both of which are rotted real bad and will need to be replaced. I would just like to make these speakers usable in my den so I won't have to worry about smoke damage from the fireplace happening to a nice set. Anyone have some easy drop in recommendations? The build quality seems decent and they are some heavy SOB's.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 03:22:31 PM by larrysellers »

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: Scored 2 sets of speakers at the thift store today.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 04:42:29 PM »
find out if the impedance is 4/6/8ohm. then go to a car stereo retailer and get "free-air" versions of the correct size and impedance. punch/rockford fosgate are very good on the cheap.

mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline cheshirecat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 05:01:32 PM »
Bose Interaudio SA300 and an Advent model that looks to be 15 - 20 years old (no model # listed), both pairs for $18. They have 6.5" and 8" woofers respectively, both of which are rotted real bad and will need to be replaced. I would just like to make these speakers usable in my den so I won't have to worry about smoke damage from the fireplace happening to a nice set. Anyone have some easy drop in recommendations? The build quality seems decent and they are some heavy SOB's.

Do you have a picture of the Advents?  The Large Advents were one of the best speakers I ever owned, just took up too much space to be useful for me in my small apartment

Most had foam surrounds that rotted over the years, speakers should be fine, but if you look on the internet there are some DIY surround replacement kits that should only run you $20 or so for the pair.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline MarkE

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 06:56:04 PM »
I have a set of the Advent Laurette's, 2 6 in  mid bass drivers.. Their about 15 years old, and sound GREAT!. You'll like them. Fact..
MarkE
open: Dpa 4022 > Naiant Midbox> Edirol R-09hr or iRiver H120
Stealth : Sonic Studios DSM-6S > Custom Battery Box> Edirol R-09hr
Stealth : Nevaton MCE400 > Naiant Tinybox > Edirol R-09hr

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 07:00:52 PM »
score !

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 08:32:25 PM »
refoam, no question....

Offline Tim

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 11:27:54 PM »
well done

I don't know why I don't spend more time poking around garage sales

enjoy!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 01:40:08 AM »
You guys think I should re-do the woofers instead of replacement? Even with a kit, I don't know if I could do the job "clean" enough to make it look good. They are pretty mangled:

A refoam should be all you need, the kit will tell you how to remove all the crap and put the new surrounds on, it's not very hard and produces good results.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline boojum

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 11:51:19 PM »
Advent made very good speakers.  I would advise against replacing the factory drivers with aftermarket.  The factory drivers were selected for the box and the xover built to accommodate it. 
Nov schmoz kapop.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com