Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Controlling the Pencil Tool in Audacity  (Read 3888 times)

Offline grtphl

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • deadheadynugs
    • Free Live Music Archive - daja@dayjay
Controlling the Pencil Tool in Audacity
« on: December 21, 2008, 11:55:49 AM »
While working on a show with minor clipping I was using the pencil tool to reshape the peaks where they flat-lined.  After a few I was able to refine a method that produces good, consistent results.  What I found works best (for accuracy, not speed) is to select one of the sample points (click and hold), and move your mouse straight up or down to place it; then, move your mouse straight left or right to the next sample and shift it straight up or down.  An example of your movement would be up-right-up-right-down-right-down-right, or down-right-down-right-up-right-up-right if you were working left to right on the wave.  Don't move your mouse in a curved motion.  Many of you may have figured this out, but it really simplified my work and I thought it was worth sharing.  Using a curved motion works, but can be a little more unpredictable.  If you have a lot of clipping the curved method is probably best for speeds sake.  With fewer clips this method provides more accuracy when manipulating the shape, in my opinion.

I've attached screen-shots of clipping on my file and how it turned out after using the above method.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 12:00:39 PM by root_ »

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The Dude abides...
Re: Controlling the Pencil Tool in Audacity
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 03:48:02 PM »
FWIW, I don't even try to provide a smooth wav form like you've done any long.  I used to try, but I couldn't hear any difference when I did.

What I do instead, in a situation like you picture above:
1.  split the tracks
2.  select the "brickwalled" points
3.  effect > amplify > -(0.02)

That more or less uniformly reduces the sampled points.  Sometimes it's necessary to repeat, or change the size of the selection and do more on certain points.

At this point, I only use the pencil tool when I've got 2-3 wav points crushed.  Anything much more than that I use the method I describe above.  At first it's hard to remember to recreate the stereo track (was for me, anyway), but you figure it out pretty quickly.

YMMV, of course.
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Controlling the Pencil Tool in Audacity
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 04:16:18 PM »
again, I recommend the clip peak restoration plug in in Cool Edit. Works great!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com