Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Done upgrading!!! (For now)  (Read 3653 times)

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
Done upgrading!!! (For now)
« on: May 18, 2006, 11:38:24 AM »
The final piece of my system arrived yesterday--a custom-built subwoofer cabinet built to my specs.  It is based on a design by Danny at G-R Research and uses their 12 inch driver/PR.  It is clad with birds eye maple real wood veneer, except for the front panel, which is black laquer.  The signal from the SW out on my receiver will feed an old Carver M-400 power amp bridged into mono mode.  Eventually, I want to own a system with an active crossover and an amp designed for this purpose, but this is what I've got for now and I'm very happy with It.

I have not had a moment to assemble the sub or listen to it, but it sure looks pretty.  I've been working non-stop for the past week getting ready to argue a big case in federal appeals court.  I can't wait to hear some big bass (Phil Lesh, Mike Gordon, Schools) 24/96 recording on this thing. Just got home from court and I'm heading to Home Depot now.

Pictures coming soon.

Peace,
LS
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 04:19:13 PM by lds490 »
http://db.etree.org/lds490
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX
Stealth: AT 831 -> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> IBM Microdrive

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
Re: Done upgrading!!! (For now)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 12:50:44 PM »
sweet!

I have to ask about the isolation feet under your gear.  What are those? 
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 08:15:54 PM »
do you really want the sub that close to you TV and other gear ?

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 07:20:49 AM »
Lil Kim-

They look like Mapleshade iso blocks

http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/audioproducts/isoblocks.php
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 08:00:57 AM »

I'm not sure about placement yet.  What is the concern with the sub being close to the TV.  I'm limited right now by the length of my speaker cables, but I'd like to move the rack away from the speakers and TV stand.  Any advice on sub placement?  I heard that it does not make a difference since we don't perceive bass as directional.

Most of the gear is on stock feet, some of which I will replace in the future (did I say I was done upgrading?).  The DAC60 is on a maple platform which is sitting on Isoblocks from Mapleshade ($24/4).  The DVD player is also on Isoblocks with the stock feet removed.

I built the rack myself.  I ordered the shelves unfinished with holes pre-drilled from Timbernation.  I finished them with a white stain and tung oil.

So far, I am amazed by the sub, especially with 24 bit live recordings.  Also, multi-channel formatsand film soundtracks are great.  I don't think I ever heard real low bass from a playback system before.

Other things I plan to do (in no particular order):

Roll tubes on the DAC60/additional mods
Upgrade cables
Dedicated PC to serve audio/video
Plazma or LCD monitor
Tweeks (brass feet, Bybee filters, etc.)
Upgrade front center speaker/add rear center

Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 08:54:56 AM »
"Other things I plan to do (in no particular order):

Roll tubes on the DAC60/additional mods"

fwiw, I hear that the tubes to use in the DAC60 are Amprex.  the best you can afford.  eBay is a great source for them.  the NOS pairs of 6922's go for about $50-80. 
A GREAT pair goes for about $140

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 11:14:30 AM »

I'm not sure about placement yet.  What is the concern with the sub being close to the TV.  I'm limited right now by the length of my speaker cables, but I'd like to move the rack away from the speakers and TV stand.  Any advice on sub placement?  I heard that it does not make a difference since we don't perceive bass as directional.

Most of the gear is on stock feet, some of which I will replace in the future (did I say I was done upgrading?).  The DAC60 is on a maple platform which is sitting on Isoblocks from Mapleshade ($24/4).  The DVD player is also on Isoblocks with the stock feet removed.

I built the rack myself.  I ordered the shelves unfinished with holes pre-drilled from Timbernation.  I finished them with a white stain and tung oil.

So far, I am amazed by the sub, especially with 24 bit live recordings.  Also, multi-channel formatsand film soundtracks are great.  I don't think I ever heard real low bass from a playback system before.

Other things I plan to do (in no particular order):

Roll tubes on the DAC60/additional mods
Upgrade cables
Dedicated PC to serve audio/video
Plazma or LCD monitor
Tweeks (brass feet, Bybee filters, etc.)
Upgrade front center speaker/add rear center

While omni directional, placement is key in getting flat response from say 20 Hz to 120 Hz.  Do a feq sweep and check the levels at each freq for different locations.  My guess is the curve will be differet for each location.  You want it in the spot that creats minimal peaks and nulls. 

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 11:41:56 AM »

done upgrading.... :lol:

Done upgrading . . . for this week.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006, 01:20:29 PM »
Low amplitude (acoustic) bass is very directional.

Yeah, I've heard this quite a bit from other sources.  There seem to be a lot of people who like to run dual subs. 
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 11:08:25 AM »
Look like a nice rack of CD's on the wal behind you (judging from the reflection in the TV)!

+T on finally acheiving the perfect sound that will last you a lifetime.  ;)
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 11:45:37 AM »
sweet!

You can get these exact same blocks from wholesalers online.  They are made specifically for isolating vibration from the floor for drying machines.  Try searching dryer isolation of something to that effect.  About 1.50 a pop.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 02:07:44 PM »
sweet!

You can get these exact same blocks from wholesalers online.  They are made specifically for isolating vibration from the floor for drying machines.  Try searching dryer isolation of something to that effect.  About 1.50 a pop.

Great advice!

http://www.soundproofing.org/cgi-bin/cart.pl?

I think each Mapleshade Isoblock uses 2 of the 2" pads with cork center ($6/4) glued together.  So, the total cost is $12/4, which is half of what Mapleshade charges for them. 

Note:  Mapleshade recommends these for placement under platforms or for stacking components, but not for replacing stock feet.  They have several lines of solid brass replacement feet, which are supposed to be used between the component and platform/rack.  Also, Mapleshade is shameless in puffing their gear--everything is the best and out-performs competitors that cost 10X the price, etc.--and makes claims that are contrary to conventional thinking.  So, caveat emptor.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.23 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com