Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MK41 config  (Read 1544 times)

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
MK41 config
« on: September 13, 2023, 02:33:16 PM »
I hate asking stupid questions, but ...

I am in the market for a stand and t-bar to use with my rig that includes MK41s.  While looking around at various bars and mounts, I saw this hat mount for MK41Vs:

And it surprised me because my first thought was that if you wear this in the front of your hat, the mics will be pointing away from the sound source.  So now for the (potentially really stupid) question - should I be pointing my MK41s in the same directions?  If that's the case, I've literally been pointing them the wrong way.  But I know that MK41s and MK41V are two different mics, so maybe I'm not as stupid as I first thought (fingers crossed!).  Basically, I've just been positioning them so that they are (generally) pointed forward and positioned on either side of the front part of my kangaroo.  Of course, the NBobs and caps are positioned horizontally.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
Re: MK41 config
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2023, 02:52:19 PM »
imagine a kangol being worn backwards... 8)  (i.e. samuel jackson)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 02:56:57 PM by todd e »

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2023, 03:13:38 PM »

The MK41V is side address - the diaphragm is mounted in the middle of the vented housing facing the side so sound enters through the side vents

Your MK41 is end address - the capsule is mounted near the end facing the vents on the end so sound enters where you have it pointed.

I would not use this mount for 41s - it's intended specifically for the vertically mounted mk41V - keep doing what you have been doing.

My favorite mounting setup for the 41s was a Vark bar, Schoeps SGC mini clips and a A20 mount to hold the vertical attachment for the bar.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2023, 07:03:16 PM »

The MK41V is side address - the diaphragm is mounted in the middle of the vented housing facing the side so sound enters through the side vents

Your MK41 is end address - the capsule is mounted near the end facing the vents on the end so sound enters where you have it pointed.

I would not use this mount for 41s - it's intended specifically for the vertically mounted mk41V - keep doing what you have been doing.

My favorite mounting setup for the 41s was a Vark bar, Schoeps SGC mini clips and a A20 mount to hold the vertical attachment for the bar.

Part of my ignorance is that I've literally never taped with another true taper; let alone someone who tapes with the same mics.  Having said that, thank you for letting me know my stupid question didn't turn out to be stupid!

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2023, 07:16:46 PM »

Do the Schoeps SGC mini clips screw onto the Vark bar?  I looked at several websites selling those clips, but they all use the same pic and don't offer a view of the underside of the clip.

I gather you snap your MK41s into the mini clips that are attached to the Vark bar, and then adjust the direction of the mics accordingly?

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2023, 10:23:08 PM »

Do the Schoeps SGC mini clips screw onto the Vark bar?  I looked at several websites selling those clips, but they all use the same pic and don't offer a view of the underside of the clip.

I gather you snap your MK41s into the mini clips that are attached to the Vark bar, and then adjust the direction of the mics accordingly?

Yes the sgc clips thread onto a 3/8 attachment. You thread the cable through the slot in the top of the clip then slide the little nipple base at the bottom of the capsule connector into the clip.

I don't think Vark is in business any longer so those bars may be hard to come by but MacArthur makes one a lot like it that they sell at Posthorn - https://www.posthorn.com/Macvk_4.html. It has a 20cm vertical bar that attaches in the middle then goes into a 20mm shockmount turned 90 degrees. The whole bar is shockmounted instead of the individual mics.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2023, 12:16:17 PM »
I made an identical mount looking for MK4s (which of course fit MK41s).  I just took an old bathroom or kitchen plastic garbage can and started cutting to make a similar shape for a Kangol brim.  Its a little fussy getting the exact right shape for the hat (fits forward in the space by the brim), but with a small garbage can, you've got at least a half dozen attempts, or you can cut it oversize and trim away to get the perfect shape. 

I then drilled a series of 4-6 small (1/16th") holes on the side of the mount, each hole being about a quarter inch from the other.  The row should be oriented for the direction of the microphone either straight forward or at an outward angle.  I found the direction didn't make any audible difference for an audience tape. 

I then repeated this row about the thickness of the MK4, about an inch and a quarter.  I then repeated this on the other side of the mount.  I then added elastic waist band material (obtained from a fabric store) and sewed the elastic into the mount using stout waxed thread and using the tiny holes for the thread.  Stretch it tight before sewing. 

Holds the MK4s perfect in a Kangol. 

I can PM pictures if anyone wants. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2023, 01:00:33 PM »

Yes please!

Offline phil_er_up

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2023, 07:05:34 AM »

Yes please!
Would like pictures too. Thank you!
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2023, 09:50:02 AM »
Send me those pics, too, if you don't mind. Though I can't picture wearing my hat backwards, I would give it a try!
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2023, 11:10:13 AM »
Apparently, one may not send a picture, only a link, in a PM, so anyone wanting a picture of my garbage can MK4 mounting semi-circle, please PM me with your email.

It is just a semi-circle fitting under the brim of a Kangol with elastic bands holding the microphones.  The semi-circle has to be trimmed to fit the brim of your particular Kangol, but looks nearly identical to the one pictured but the microphone alignment has the mikes facing forward, not to the side. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com