Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ISO: SBD Splitter/ adapter Recommendations  (Read 2174 times)

Offline mbogigian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
ISO: SBD Splitter/ adapter Recommendations
« on: February 23, 2023, 02:58:19 PM »
I’m looking into purchasing some xlr splitter cables, xlr to 1/4” adapters, and xlr to rca. Does anyone have suggestions for where to purchase cables and which places/websites to buy from? I do know about Gakabeles but wondering about alternative places. Are Amazon ones trustworthy?

Thanks in advance for the advice

Mike

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: ISO: SBD Splitter/ adapter Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 05:03:50 PM »
I’m looking into purchasing some xlr splitter cables, xlr to 1/4” adapters, and xlr to rca. Does anyone have suggestions for where to purchase cables and which places/websites to buy from? I do know about Gakabeles but wondering about alternative places. Are Amazon ones trustworthy?
Thanks in advance for the advice
Mike

Seismic Audio sells on Amazon and they have every kind of splitter/adapter/other cable known to man. Some of their stuff is not the top of the line and is similar to Hosa brand (which I've used shitloads of for years and never once had a problem) with molded ends. They have some nicer stuff with Neutrik and Switchcraft connectors, too.

I've had bad luck buying super cheap cables from Amazon. I bought a 4 pack of 15 foot XLRs since I needed some for my home studio and was feeling cheap. I think one of them might still work 3 years later with only occasional use.

Never had a problem with anything I bought from Seismic, though.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2023, 05:57:42 PM »
There's nothing wrong with HOSA stuff (in my opinion) if it's not in heavy duty use. I'd replace it when it begins to show wear, but my few have been just fine.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2023, 07:27:41 PM »
Mike, do you not want to go the Ted route because of time or you want something different? Do you need it for a show next week? I have Ted splitters and adapters of all sorts if you want to borrow them for a specific show. I live in Easton and work in Framingham. I think you are in Mass?
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline mbogigian

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2023, 03:46:36 PM »
I live in Westboro in MA. This was more of to have on hand in case I were to tape a show by myself and need to patch. I suppose I could just go straight into sbd w xlr or whatever else w adapters. I know Ted’s got hq cables but I don’t want to spend a ton on them as I hardly tape as much anymore. I don’t need for any upcoming shows but will keep it in mind if needed. I just wanna be prepared if the time comes.

Thanks

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2023, 06:27:06 PM »
Yep, XLR works for me 80+ % of the time at the venues I've gotten patches. I have used 1/4" and RCA once in a while, but not often.

At one time, I gathered all the links for the adapters I would need and then decided to just have Ted make what I wanted. Wasn't inexpensive, but I got what I needed. But, I get it. Happy to help you out if needed. I drive through Westboro every day. In fact, I'd love to live there if you know of any homes for sale. :-)
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline mbogigian

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2023, 08:03:44 AM »
It’s an excellent town. Keep looking. My uncle is a realtor w DCU if you ever needed help.

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2023, 11:02:18 AM »
one issue here is the type of adapter, solid vs cabled. The Hosa stuff is pretty ok for solid.

I've found benefit going with cabled for xlr to 1/8" trs and hard thingies for rca, 1/8" gender change etc. Hosa for xlr to 1/4" b/c  I don't use it much.

I once saw a pair of cables w xlr on one end and rca plus 1/4" on the other. Nice to have fewer thingies to lose...
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com