Gear / Technical Help > Post-Processing, Computer / Streaming / Internet Devices & Related Activity

Attenuating clapping in live recordings - the easy way

<< < (15/16) > >>

opsopcopolis:

--- Quote from: ol' dirty taper on June 23, 2022, 05:36:06 PM ---Would someone with Fab Filter or similar be able to walk through their process? Having a hell of a time finding the right settings on a tape I have.

--- End quote ---

I guess my standard process is set the output ceiling (usually at -.1db), move the look ahead up (I don't stress to much about actual look ahead time as long as it's not uber short) and then raise the gain while looping a loud section until I have the amount of reduction I want.

nassau73:
In the years since I first replied to this thread, I've acquired RX and find that the De-Click module does a great job.
For dealing with obtrusive clapping in aud recordings, it can eliminate many claps entirely.
For most applications, I set it for the Multi-band (random clicks) algorithm drop down menu. For most instances Sensitivity at 6.5, Widening at 1.7 and skew at 0 works for me.
If that's not working well enough, you can check the "Output Clicks Only" box and adjust the settings so you're hearing only the clicks (claps) that would be removed without affecting the music.
Sometimes you might want some of the claps remaining as when the audience is clapping along with the music and you want to keep the live audience "feel" but don't want the overpowering claps of the person just a few feet away from your mics. In that case, when adjusting the skew, I've been able to attenuate the loudest claps but still keep the audience participation.

nulldogmas:

--- Quote from: nassau73 on June 29, 2022, 12:54:25 PM ---In the years since I first replied to this thread, I've acquired RX and find that the De-Click module does a great job.
For dealing with obtrusive clapping in aud recordings, it can eliminate many claps entirely.
For most applications, I set it for the Multi-band (random clicks) algorithm drop down menu. For most instances Sensitivity at 6.5, Widening at 1.7 and skew at 0 works for me.
If that's not working well enough, you can check the "Output Clicks Only" box and adjust the settings so you're hearing only the clicks (claps) that would be removed without affecting the music.
Sometimes you might want some of the claps remaining as when the audience is clapping along with the music and you want to keep the live audience "feel" but don't want the overpowering claps of the person just a few feet away from your mics. In that case, when adjusting the skew, I've been able to attenuate the loudest claps but still keep the audience participation.

--- End quote ---

Seconded all of this. RX De-Click is kind of crazy magical. (And works well on crackle from bad mic cables, too, if you tweak the settings a bit — for that I raised the frequency skew a bit and widened to 2.4.)

opsopcopolis:
all the izotope stuff is crazy black magic fuckery. De-noise/hiss has saved something I thought near unsalvageable more than once

DavidPuddy:
My favorite use of RX is removing the clunk of beer cans being thrown away

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version