Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track - announced at NAMM  (Read 120085 times)

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track! - announced at NAMM
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2010, 07:40:26 PM »
ok thanks.   Has anybody figured out what they mean by:
"Cascade function for running two units together"
I don't see any type of hook up in stock pictures that would support syncing two decks.   Any body got a lead on a manual yet?

And I wonder if this will run on 9v?  Like the P2 does.  Even though it states 12v, the P2 would still run on 9v input. 

Online H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2010, 10:41:25 AM »
I don't see any type of hook up in stock pictures that would support syncing two decks.   Any body got a lead on a manual yet?

My guess is that this would work with the SPDIF ports kinda like what KORG did with the MR-2000
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2010, 08:02:44 PM »
Just ordered myself one of these as well.  Looking forward to giving it a go!
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline hammerhorror

• Trade Count: (54)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Hey good lookin'
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2010, 08:41:38 PM »
Just ordered myself one of these as well.  Looking forward to giving it a go!

Me too!
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & MK41, AKG CK63 (Naiant Actives)

Preamps: Naiant KCY Littlebox

Recorders: Sound Devices 664, Sony PCM-M10

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2010, 01:57:45 PM »
cant wait to hear about battery life on these things.
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2010, 07:51:29 PM »

And I wonder if this will run on 9v?  Like the P2 does.  Even though it states 12v, the P2 would still run on 9v input.
prob via the digi out > in
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

kirk97132

« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2010, 10:44:24 PM »
It would be great if it had menu options like the P2 that allowed it to accept a clock source via the coax.  And as far as I can tell the only way to get 8 tracks of recording is to use the coax in.  That also leads me to believe that the coax will be channels 7/8.   It also seems a little odd that tascam states: "Two of the recorders can be connected with a cascade cable for up to 16-track recording on battery power. "  Why just on battery power?  Or is that a typo of some sort. 

Online H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2010, 11:13:03 PM »
It would be great if it had menu options like the P2 that allowed it to accept a clock source via the coax.  And as far as I can tell the only way to get 8 tracks of recording is to use the coax in.  That also leads me to believe that the coax will be channels 7/8.   It also seems a little odd that tascam states: "Two of the recorders can be connected with a cascade cable for up to 16-track recording on battery power. "  Why just on battery power?  Or is that a typo of some sort.

Some of the tracks could be "mixed" tracks (i.e. 6 tracks analog + 2 mix tracks = 8 tracks recorded)

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2010, 07:48:40 AM »
Yes, 6 analog inputs plus a coax digital = 8 channels.

The decks don't daisy chain via SPDIF though, otherwise their literature is wrong because they would really only have 14 distinct channels being recorded.  That would be kind of lame.

I'm guessing there's another linking connector somewhere.  Perhaps via USB?

The comment about up to 16 channels on battery power is just poorly worded.  It's designed as a battery powered deck, of course.

Soon enough we'll all know the answers to these questions and more.  I'm very interested to try one of these out, that's for sure!
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2010, 12:25:06 PM »
I'm very interested.
- 50% of the time it will be a bitbucket behind my V3.
- 40% of the time it will be a bitbucket behind my V3 + SBD.
- 10% of the time it will be Onstage mics > v3 > bitbucket + SBD + ambient mics + patch from a buddy as a comp.

So in my case anyway, that's 4 line-in, 2 via digi-in, and one pair using the Tascam preamps.  Even if the preamps are reasonably (on par with a stock UA5/R4/R44/HDP2), I'd be perfectly happy.

At this price point I expect to make some concessions. I don't care if it has a built in Mid/Side decoder. I'd rather record the raw tracks and mix them at home.  If it does "digital resampling" like my R4, that doesn't bother me either.

The thing that concerns me is how configurable the inputs are... for instance on my R4, you can't record channels 3&4 alone, you record 4 channels and the front 2 are empty.  That's tolerable to some extent especially with an R4's hard drive.  But if I had to record 6 blank channels to run SPDIF only, that would not be acceptable to me.  I'll need that info before I write a check.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

stevetoney

« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2010, 02:01:20 PM »
The thing that concerns me is how configurable the inputs are... for instance on my R4, you can't record channels 3&4 alone, you record 4 channels and the front 2 are empty.  That's tolerable to some extent especially with an R4's hard drive.  But if I had to record 6 blank channels to run SPDIF only, that would not be acceptable to me.  I'll need that info before I write a check.

I just pre-ordered so I'm excited to talk about this recorder, even if I have no clue what the answer to your question is.   ;D

I have no idea how configurable it is, but I'd think with 8 channels to choose from where some of the channels have different input connector types, there would HAVE to be some sort of routing control to be able to choose the number of inputs and have those inputs selectable to specified outputs.  Although I suppose it wouldn't be a requirement, it would seem excessively limiting with 8 channels if there was a 1 to 1 assignment of channels to output tracks.  The specs seems to make it sound like it has enhanced mixing functions over some products, so that seems maybe to be a clue that there would be some flexibility of channel assignment.  Finally, since there's obviously some kind of channel selectivity for setting levels (only one level control with the buttons along the bottom to select channels), then it might also stand to reason there would be some input to output routing selectivity. 

kirk97132

« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2010, 02:06:40 PM »
OK so Full Compass says decks are back ordered till 3-31-10(ish).

Call 800-356-5844 ex1386 Talk to Adam and he'll give you a price of $828 including shipping.  Tell him Kirk sent you ;D  Can't wait to get this sucker

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2010, 10:31:08 PM »
Looks like this baby is right up my multi-channel alley!  I let you boys figure out the bugs and pay top dollar.  I sure Steve (tonedeaf) will be selling his in a couple months  ;)
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

stevetoney

« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2010, 09:16:40 AM »
Looks like this baby is right up my multi-channel alley!  I let you boys figure out the bugs and pay top dollar.  I sure Steve (tonedeaf) will be selling his in a couple months  ;)

I'm already taking offers Ted!  LOL.

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2010, 12:44:17 PM »
$867 delivered around the end of March from FC  ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com