Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Camera mounted mics  (Read 3133 times)

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Camera mounted mics
« on: April 16, 2007, 12:09:30 PM »
Hey! Just wondering if anyone has any feedback on lower end mics for cameras. I have been hooking up a Neumann (kms105) and recording mono just to avoid overdriven tracks on the tape. I have been looking a little at some mics. Anyone have experience with that Rode "VideoMic" shotgun ($150), Sennheiser MKE300 ($200). I have also thought about something a bit less directional, stereo, and more universal like an AT825. Any inputs.
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline coloartist

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • MGoldey -"you can shove those mics up your ass
Re: Camera mounted mics
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 01:13:33 PM »
I believe the Rode is what I had when I was working for Moboogie. I always plugged my mics into my DVC30 from my V3. Their GS500 had a mic in and no meters and no headphone jack, so I tried it twice. Both times I had no audio on the tape when I captured it.

I had to sinc it to my DVC30 tape by watching when Jerry Joseph would slap his head.  ::)
mk4>Kwon/din a/din>kc5>cmc6>kindkables XLR>788T
mk22>Kwon/NOS>kc5>cmc6>kindkablesXLR>788t                                                     
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       
Samsung Backlit LED 55">Pioneer Elite SC-27>Snell Acoustics E.5  Series

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 03:07:29 PM »
Thanks. My camera has XLR inputs and Phantom power (forgot to say before) You have to tell it to monitor the XLR inputs and there is a meter on the display. On a tripod show I can route steady signal but on hand held I want something better than what I am doing. Even if the audio gets replaced in post. Would love more input. Thanks.
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline kuuan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 04:39:27 AM »
Hey! Just wondering if anyone has any feedback on lower end mics for cameras. I have been hooking up a Neumann (kms105) and recording mono just to avoid overdriven tracks on the tape. I have been looking a little at some mics. Anyone have experience with that Rode "VideoMic" shotgun ($150), Sennheiser MKE300 ($200). I have also thought about something a bit less directional, stereo, and more universal like an AT825. Any inputs.

the advantage of the Rode videomic and the Sennheiser you mention is that they do NOT need phantom power have a stereo mini plug and thus can be used with low end camcorders which do not supply phantom power.

If you cam does offer phantom power and has XLR inputs the AT825 you mention is a very good choice for a streo mic!

a very good standard shotgun mic for use on camcorders is the AT897, can be powered both by 1,5 V battery or phantom power.
or the Rode NT-3, also either phantom or inbuilt 9 V battery

please check:
http://www.pana3ccduser.com/showthread.php?t=4667
for many mic for camcorder reviews, or also search:
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/
on stereo mini/XLR mics on cams:
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=125646&page=1
where Ty Ford, and he knows what he is talking abt. once again says that for indoor use it is not shotguns but hypercardioids
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 04:46:26 AM by kuuan »
Everything you do through out the day, every thought and every feeling leaves an impression stored inside you.
These impressions create tendencies, their sum total is your character.
gear: SP-CMC8+AT853 cards+omnis, AT822>DIY preamp>iRiverH120rockboxed

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 12:59:32 PM »
Ah! Didn't notice that before. I'm sure I would have before I pulled the trigger. Thanks for the info. I may grab an AT825 to check out. It would get dual use with me. I wouldn't mind freeing up my KM184's when I am multitracking live and not video taping. This would allow me to use the AT825 onstage (ambiance) and the KM184's for over heads (for example). Also when doing psuedo studio recording. I could use the AT825's as overhead and free up the KM182's for acoustic instruments and stuff. Been meaning to grab one anyway. Now it can get dual use.

Offline dxtreme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 06:17:41 PM »
http://www.dvcreators.net/shotgun-shootout/

listen to a few mic demo here incl the rode

Offline wbrisette

• Needs to get out more...
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 10:48:01 PM »
http://www.dvcreators.net/shotgun-shootout/

listen to a few mic demo here incl the rode

I own the NTG-1 as well as the Nuemann KMR 82 i, I really like the warmth of the NTG-1, but the Numann does a great job as well if you're looking for a gun for video work.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 09:53:37 AM »
Thanks. I ended up getting an AT825 on ebay for $235. I really was hoping to have something that would work with my camera but also be useful when tracking a band. I have a bunch of mics but only two stereo pairs. Neumann KM184 and Earthworks TC30K. So having the AT825 would help me free up the Neumanns for other uses while recording. I will probably be using the AT's to record the audience in live situations (audio only) and have it handy for studio stuff as well.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com